Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ridgid ts3650 tablesaw dado / extension table rollers

ridgid ts3650 tablesaw dado / extension table rollers

Does anyone have any experience with putting a dado on this tablesaw? I was looking to invest in one, but would like to get some input from anyone who has gone down this road. Also, where did you buy an insert for it?

Also, in regards to the saw, i would be interested to see anyones design for extension tables. I would love to build an extension table, but need to find the right rollers, and the table needs to be able to be folded/broken down easily (for space saving reasons).

Anyone have experience with these rollers?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=905

Thanks in advance.

Installing Dado on this saw is the same as any other saw. The Dado insert can be purchased from HD.

Do you mean out feed table? Or do you mean extension tables to the right or left of the table top?

Greg

Post Alex,some information on your roller set up ~

I posted this not to long ago- http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=rollers I have one order for 11 of these rollers left- I tried to get a hold of this individual and he has yet to respond. The other 7 orders all went out. This worked out great , these roller are very well constructed- ball bearing and spring -snap in shafts. If your interested- send me a PM.
    I looked into those but I just thought I could do better and I went into my friends business, a local bearing distributer and he gave me a deal I could not pass up on.
    Hope this helped,
    Brian

I use a Freud 8" dado stack on my 3650. I had bought some zero clearance inserts from peachtree to use with it but wound up making my own. I suggest you make your own inserts. if you really want to buy i have some ill sell, PM me and we can work something out.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/zero_clearance.htm

as far as outfeed there are lots of different options. The fence on the 3650 attaches to the back rail so that kinda limits your options somewhat.

I ran a dado in my Ridgid before I upgraded to a cabinet saw and never had a problem. I made an insert from phenolic that I bought at woodcraft. As for a outfeed table you do not need rollers, just a table. Lumber/Sheet goods will slide across melamine as easy as they will slide across your TS top. Here are some pics of my saw and outfeed table.

Look closely at the left of the picture and you can still see the old 3650....
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

brian, i sent you a PM regarding the rollers.

And pardon the vagueness, but an outfeed table is what i would be looking at.

In regard to the dado, i had read that the arbor for the blade was shorter than some expected, and some people couldn't get the full width (3/4) they wanted out of a stack, and only about 11/16.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

outfeed table

If i have time later ill post pics but because the back rails are attached to the back side of the table, i built my extension table with about 8 inches of the top extending toward the saw, then cut a slot in that for the blade guard arm to slide into. This way i can get support to about 1 inch from the table saw top and allow for the rails and motor. I also made the table with storage cubbies and one of them is positioned to give the motor space. But i do have to move the outfeed back several inches to cut bevels as the entire motor/guard assembly swings.

Post Al

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    brian, i sent you a PM regarding the rollers.

And pardon the vagueness, but an outfeed table is what i would be looking at.

In regard to the dado, i had read that the arbor for the blade was shorter than some expected, and some people couldn't get the full width (3/4) they wanted out of a stack, and only about 11/16.

I sent you back- Let me know- if they don't go I am afraid I will get that "roller" mania and do something with them - there awesome! On a side note, The flat "out feed table" - that will work just as well, but honestly , in my opinion- any stock I slide through my PMTS glides through effortlessly ons it hits that roller set up~ but you can use a flat surface- what ever you like the best- I did have the flat out-feed and I just wanted a little smoother out feed- rollers were the solution.
    Brian

I had the same saw for one year.I used a freud dado stack. It worked very well. I made the dado insert out of plywood.
    As far as outfeed tables for the 3650 you could go to ridgids forum an do a search, theres several on there for that saw.

Alex,
    I have a 3650 and you are correct about the short arbor. With the standard washer, you can not get full engagement with the nut for 3/4" dado. Some people install the dado without the washer. I did that for a while but later had a precision thin washer ( 3/32 ) machined at a machine shop. With that washer I have no problem cutting 3/4" dados. and feel more secure with full engagement of the arbor nut.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    Anyone have experience with these rollers?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=905

Thanks in advance.
    Those and a set of higher quality proved to not be worth the powder to blow them up. The first set had several rollers that did not spin freely right out of the package. Even after replacing these, performance was poor. I tried a set of higher quality design which were also disappointing. I really wanted them to work as I had envisioned but, in reality they did not work out.

The size of the surface contacting the wood (the tip of the ball) was so small that it left depression marks on even lightweight material. Even those that were supposed to be sealed quickly became rough (or non) turning. I switched to closely spaced swivel casters for this function. Casters, like the balls, do not try to control the feed path but have a soft wide surface that does not damage the material.

As to using them on an outfeed table; any smooth surface, sealed and waxed, is smooth enough for outfeed purposes. I had also dreamed of the HTC-style long rollers but, any alignment other than perfectly perpendicular to the blade path results in your fighting to control the feed path of the material.

Others may have different experience to share but, that was mine. I've used laminate covered tables, sealed and waxed MDF and even sealed and waxed particle board. All work equally well, some just look a lot better ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Maybe I have an older model, but I can go to 13/16" with my dado set with no problem at all.
    Like the others, I don't use rollers as my outfeed support. I made a drop down table that is hinged to the saw itself.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I have had the 3650 for almost three years, and haven't had an issue with the Freud 8" dado set I use. Some of the saws have "short" arbors, as well as a gap where the arbor threads begin that caused problems with mounting dado blades. "Newer" saws allegedly don't have this problem. (Some HD's may still have the older saws in stock.) I read on another site that Ridgid was providing replacements for the "defective" arbors free of charge through their customer service people.

Ridgid has a forum on there web site. If you go there and do a search you will find several people that have made outfeed tables for there 3650's

Here's the outfeed table that I built for my 3650. It is based off of one that I found on the Ridgid forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]