Thread: By way of introduction….another laser newbie.

By way of introduction….another laser newbie.

By way of introduction…. another laser newbie. I’m am 60+ guy, military trained via the Air Force in crypto/teletype maintenance (went into Air Guard after serving 3 yrs in Army back in the 60’s) took all that electro/mechanical and electronics training into the computer field for the past 30 years. …do web sites, computer repair, computer multimedia graphics and video, etc…now that I’m in a wheelchair more then out….I refuse to resign myself to waste all those year of computer experience…and being told I’m too old and physically unable to maintain formal employment….that I decided to get a Laser and work out of my basement…. And I am scared to death….but I’ll get over it….heard just awhile ago “Measure your determination not your obstacles.” So I’m determined to still support my family and to contribute until body refuses and not my mind to go on. I look forward to knowing each of you and contribute to each any help that I can provide as I learn from you and also teach what I can from my experience.
    James Wright….Haventouch Enterprises Inc….Dahlonega, Georgia

James, Welcome to the neighborhood. You're practically right up the street from me. I'm in Suwanee, GA. Best of luck with your laser. Tell us what system you have so we'll be able to offer any specific advice.

Welcome
    Ideal occupation for your condition and experience and you seem determined. Thats 1/2 the battle won Have you thought of where your market will be?
    The only bugbear I forsee if you are wheelchair bound is loading and unloading a stand alone laser as it is relatively high.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    The only bugbear I forsee if you are wheelchair bound is loading and unloading a stand alone laser as it is relatively high.
    One way around this obstacle, you could get a Versa or Epilog Mini and have a custom stand made for it. Welcome to the boards, James. This is a great place to learn all about lasers, and meet some very decent people too.
    Vicky
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." ~Zen Sarcasm
    The Toys:
    LaserPro Explorer 30W (with all the goodies)
    New Hermes Vanguard 3400
    New Hermes pantograph
    Really, really old heat press, with nothing to press now that my toner cartridge is RIP.

Welcome, and best of luck in your new venture. Feel free to ask for help as needed, lots of friendly, knowledgeable people here!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

James

Welcome aboard.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Welcome in and good luck. If access is a problem (my laser is just over 1metre high and top-loading) I'm sure we can come up with a design for a plywood ramp you can burn yourself as a first project.
    I've got most of it floating around in my head already, but height of machine, weight of wheelchair and space you have around the machine are all factors. And which way to the door...it'd be awful to burn a left-handed ramp leading straight into the wall....

James, were they doing the 'crypto/teletype maintenance ' training at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls TX at that time?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Proffitt View Post
    James, Welcome to the neighborhood. You're practically right up the street from me. I'm in Suwanee, GA. Best of luck with your laser. Tell us what system you have so we'll be able to offer any specific advice.
    I'm waiting on Jackson & Associates out of Gainesville Ga...to install in the next couple of weeks an Epilog Mini 24 - 45 watt.
    Last edited by James Wright; 11-15-2007 at 4:32 PM.

Welcome James

James,

Welcome to the forum. Your attitude already makes you successful in your venture! It is scary starting out, but these folks here on the forum make the fear go away. Best of luck with everything, and prepare to be amazed with the knowledge and caring attitude of all the strangers that are willing to answer your questions.

Sincerely,
    Phyllis

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky Orsini View Post
    One way around this obstacle, you could get a Versa or Epilog Mini and have a custom stand made for it. Welcome to the boards, James. This is a great place to learn all about lasers, and meet some very decent people too.
    I have made my basement handicap ready…plus building a table to put the Epilog Laser Mini 24 on that gives me excellent access.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Knight View Post
    James, were they doing the 'crypto/teletype maintenance ' training at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls TX at that time?
    Yeah...it sure was...great place ;=}...sounds like you were there too..was there a year...back in 75...Didn’t do well in school growing up…the 60’s you know…made it a point to graduate Honor Grad at Sheppard…and did
    Last edited by James Wright; 11-15-2007 at 4:31 PM.

Welcome to SMC and wish you the best with the new project. We have fun here helping people and find out that it is one of the best ways to get new ideas ourselves. Have lots of fun.

I was there in the 90's. I was in the Army going to school at their telecom facilities. It was actually kinda funny... I grew up in WF, and the fact that there was an AF base there made my mind up to go into the Army, but as luck would have it I would wind up back there 5 years later anyway.

Ahhh Teletype.. I had a 15, 28, and a ASR33 and a whole bunch of junk in the old ham shack.. Lost interest when everyone went to computers.. There is something wonderful about the amazing mechanics.. Kleinschmidt was a true genius, I 'still' can't type fast without trying to hit Caret-LF-Lttrs
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it