Thread: JDS cyclone?

JDS cyclone?

I've been studiously reading all the comparisons between Oneida and Clearvue. Does anyone on the list have experience with the JDS Tools Cyclone?
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Too funny

I had been composing a post about this same question just the other day but got interrupted. I too am interested in knowing people's experience with this product.

Dan
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Since I don't own an Oneida or a Clearvue, and my JDS hasn't actually been turned on yet, not sure I'm qualified to answer. But, that has never stopped me before.

I bought the JDS Cyclone 2000 and picked it up last weekend. It is large and heavy--welded steel, nice finish. So far, I've managed to lug the thing down to my basement shop and start assembly. It came packed w/most parts on a pallet--the HEPA filter in a separate box on top. The major component is the motor assembly, which is bolted to the (logo'ed) horizontal blue air separator and the intake assembly. This is an unwieldy thing to move--about 240 lbs, weight all on the motor side, large, no square sides to pallet or handles to pick up. Last night I got around to bolting the inverted cone to that assembly (22 hardened 1/4-20 steel bolts) and attaching the legs (upside down, per instructions). That is where I had to stop--the next step is flipping it upright. They recommend 3 people, and I don't doubt them. With the legs, the 2000 is pretty tall, so its like trying to clean and jerk 300 lbs.

That said, I've been impressed by the fit so far. Bolts matched holes nicely, I think the only issue I had was some welding spatter on the threads for one of the adjustable feet; made tightening that leg rather like exercise.

JDS advertises that it comes with a 4" and 8" intake. What they really mean is that it comes with an 8" intake and a 8" to 4" converter. Reviewing the instructions, the 3HP one seems to come with an 8" intake and a 8" to 2x4" y-converter.

I have been using the JDS cyclone 3000 for over a year. I went for this model because I wnated soemthing powerfull but I didn't have the ceiling clearance to buy other models.

I have a 6 machines connected (only one running at a time). All my piping is 6" all the way to the machine where it sometimes get reduced to 4" or split in 2x4" on the table saw.

Performance wise I have no complaints. I can't compare with other vendors but it seems to move a serious amount of air. The dust separation seems to be working great (only fine dust in the fine dust bag) and the cleaning filter feature is great.

I had couple issue with the machine originally, one of the leg was not soldered properly same with the bottom part of the drum. The documentation was also very poor. The JDS support was very good and I received promptly some replacement parts as well as couple free bags for my pain.

My only real negative is the collection drum. Removing the plastic bag with the metal skelton inside is a real pain and a very messy operation.

Emmanuel