Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Women

Woodworking Women

Okay, so yesterday I get this snail mail ad to subscribe to a new mag, "Woodworking Women." Immediately I'm thinking why is this being sent to me since I've never heard of a woman named "Stan". My wife is not interested in becoming a woodworker. I then reflect that I've seen a number of women featured in the existing woodworking magazines and don't recall any discrimination anywhere. I've always thought that all woodworkers are welcome in clubs, mags, forums, etc.. regardless of sex, country, etc.. In fact, I've always been proud of the woodworking community (of the world) because of the kinship that is felt within it. I would like to hear some comments about this from the ladies and anyone else who would like to jump in since I'm wondering if I'm just out of touch. Thanks.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

First before I forget it later, here is the website for the magazine:

http://www.woodworkingforwomenmagazine.com/

If you look through the posters on this and all the other popular forums, you will see that there are more and more women already in or getting into woodworking. There is a website sponsored by Rockler named Women in Woodworking (anyone is welcome however). I think it is a good thing that those ladies involved in woodworking are coming out of the closet and have less fear of ridicule when they enter the male dominated hobby, be in in the stores or on the forums. I think that in order to reach as many as possible, the new magazine just bought mailing lists from the other magazines and sent a mass mailing, knowing that some percentage of the subscribers to the other magazines would be women. From the website, it looks interesting and it may be worthwhile to keep an eye on it and see if it fits in your interest range, woman or not.

Just my thoughts -

George

Non resonsive, but just a note. I am finding that nearly 50% of my students in hand tool classes in an adult education evening school setting are women.
    Alan

I was at Barnes and Noble last night and I actually saw that very magazine on the shelves.... It was the premier issue. I did not spend too much time looking at it, but it had some very simple projects in the magazine. It even provided a list of tools needed to complete the project. One of them was a closet organizer, SWMBO liked the idea, but then again she scrolls and is the secretary/treasurer for the Phoenix area chapter of SAW (Scrollsaw Association of the World) lucky me!!! Overall the magazine seemed high quality and I think that it is put out by Rockler, just like Woodworker's Journal.

-Michael

-Michael
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Published by DRG. So new its not on their website yet.

http://www.drgnetwork.com/index.shtml

George

I saw an ad or a short blurb on a woodworking school for women. The verbage hinted that more and more women are getting into woodworking. I sure wish that the LOML would be willing to run a piece of wood through the saw.....she just say no thank you....I'lll stick to sewing.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Good to know, thanks for clarifying

-Michael

My wife has hinted at wanting to get into scrolling for a year now. However, I've no clue where I would set her up a nice scroll station. I suggested her sewing room.

To be honest, I thought the sewing room was a good idea since I don't think scroll saws make too much of a mess (not like a TS or planer, right??) but I really don't know much about scrolling.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    My wife has hinted at wanting to get into scrolling for a year now. However, I've no clue where I would set her up a nice scroll station. I suggested her sewing room.

To be honest, I thought the sewing room was a good idea since I don't think scroll saws make too much of a mess (not like a TS or planer, right??) but I really don't know much about scrolling.
    My wife's scroll saw is in the garage along with the rest of the shop. You would be suprised how much dust that little bugger can produce... and it's all very fine dust to boot. She uses the Dewalt scroll saw... and dust collection is almost none existant ... and I have not gotten around to collecting it's dust yet, but the president of the club has a pretty good setup. 2 4" ducts one on the top and another below the table next to the blade. Since the majority of cuts are done at 90º it works pretty well.

The Dewalt is highly recommended by most of the scroll sawing community. If you want to go real high end then there are Hegner, Hawk, Excalibur, but those machines start at about $1000 ( who knew ). Let me know if you have any other questions... It's nice when the Spousal Unit starts to get into WW... makes toy purchases a little easier.

-Michael

Okay...so the sewing room idea was bad. The funny thing is the sewing room is right over my garage (well, half of it) and so I could plumb a duct up there very easily....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have two good friends locally who are woodworkers...and women. I've learned a whole bunch from both of them. One is an awesome turner and one does wonderful flat work. Craftsmanship doesn't discriminate.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs down New Womens Mag.

Well I guess its my turn to comment. I just pages through it while at my local woodcraft store talking with the owner.. I think the mag is very basic. The projects are for middle school kids... I mean WE ARE NOT idiots!!! I think the mag looked cheasy too.. Boo Hiss.. Try again FOLKS. Yes, dabbling in woodworking as opposed to woodworking as a serious hobby is what I saw too.

The site Womeninwoodworking.com by Rockler is 10x better that what I saw in that Mag. I was very apprehensive when I first started here, because I have been chased off other sites, No not because I talk/type to much because I ask stupid questions. You Folks here are a great bunch, and I tell anyone who will listed to stop by.

Thanks to Doug Jones who invited me a while back. And Thanks to All the folks who listen to me and answer my questions

The best mag out there for new woodworkers (I feel) is Wood Mag. I learned a lot from this mag. They have great projects and the directions are easy to understand. I personally buy Wood and Fine Woodworking mags. Of course get the mag from AAW.

Once again Im blabbing to much...
    Better get back to Freedom Pen Turning...
    Last edited by Julie Wright; 02-12-2004 at 5:40 PM.

I agree about the magazine... It did seem to me rather easy. The oak cd holder was just done with butt joints (am I allowed to use the word butt ). It certainly seemed to be aimed at women that would be interested in dabbling in WW rather then getting more involved with the craft.

-Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    My wife has hinted at wanting to get into scrolling for a year now.
    My wife has taught me woodworking ;-)

She's been a carpenter (framing, finish , you-name-it) and a commercial building supervisor for 20+ years.

Definitely puts a different angle on it (including how to organize the shop so everyone is happy).

- Ed

Stan, They had a booth at the Atlanta WW show. My daughter was with me and they grabbed her off to give her all the info on the magazine. I asked for a copy so I could look thru it. I was eyed with much suspicion and was begrudgedly handed a copy. My mistake. The information was right out of an HGTV crafts show. Very basic and unoriginal. My daughter was amused by the content that seemed aimed to the soccor moms, not woodworkers.
    If mama ain't happy............you know the rest!