Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone build their own cnc?

Bernhard,

If you want to contact me that's fine. I'll try to give you as much info as I can.

With regards to the pictures, I do have some that I wanted to post here but when I try to upload them, it says that the file is too big. These photos are from my digital camera and are about 600KB in size. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do to upload these pics? Thanks.

Dennis

Info on posting photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Parrott View Post
    Bernhard,

If you want to contact me that's fine. I'll try to give you as much info as I can.

With regards to the pictures, I do have some that I wanted to post here but when I try to upload them, it says that the file is too big. These photos are from my digital camera and are about 600KB in size. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do to upload these pics? Thanks.

Dennis
    Dennis

Regarding you photos, there are several options available. The most direct thing to do is to edit your photo to a smaller size and then upload the resized image to the forum. Most digital cameras come with some rudimentary photo editing software that will allow you to do this. If you don’t have any software that will work, you can download a free program called Irfanview from this web site http://www.irfanview.com/ it is mostly used for viewing images, but has some editing capabilities that will allow you to resize your photos (I like this program and use it often).

Another option is to upload your images to an image hosting website and then post a link to the photos here in the forum. There are numerous options for image hosting, but two that I like are http://www.imagevenue.com/ and http://imageshack.us/ they are both simple to use and don’t require you to register. Both of them have the option to resize your images if you want. After your image is uploaded to the hosting site they give you a link to the photo that you can use view it.

The image below is just a random photo that I have of my workbench. It is hosted on imagevenue. I used the link that they provided for “a clickable thumbnail on a Forum or Message Board”. I just copied this link and pasted into the editing pane here on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Parrott View Post
    Bernhard,

Dennis

Dennis,
    Thank you. wil send a pm shortly.
    Cheers,
    Bernhard

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wachala View Post
    Hello everyone,

I was just curious on the costs of building your own CNC. I've seen a couple on youtube but I never see anyone mention costs. The actual table looks fairly easy to setup but I would assume the costs would really come in with software and interface needed for the computer/router.
    Actually, I found that the largest single line item are the linear ways. I want to build a machine capable of 0.05 mm resolution with 0.1mm precision and accuracy (yes I know, these are lofty goals) and being able to cut full sheets. Linear ways to cover that span will cost about 1500 for the x axis.
    Second most expensive parts: drivers and stepper motors. All in all I plan to spend about $5000. This figure doesn't include ood and ends I accumulated in the shop (extra PC, steel, electronic stuff).
    As for the interface and machine software, that is actually pretty inexpensive. Mach3 runs about $160, machine interface I am building from scratch.
    Just a comment on the table. Table design and build method is critical. Just welding something together will not work to any degree of accuracy and precision due to the distortion and stress introduced by the weld heat. Simply bolting is together doesn't work either, since regular mild steel is not all that flat and the actual bearing surfaces of each connection may be less than 10%.
    Anyway, it is also fun to build it!
    Cheers,
    Bernhard

Wayne,

Thanks for the info. I re-sized the pics with Irfanview. I hope this works!

Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aaron,

I am building one based on that same design. Its a very low investment just to get started and have an entry level cnc. If it works<g>, I will consider building a larger model such as Joe's 2006.

Skip

I made a small 16" x 16" x 6" CNC in 1985. It was limited, but useful for small projects. I have it mothballed now that I have a small ShopBot.

Look through this link to see some pictures: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13974
    Mike Kelly
    _________
    ShopBot Benchtop with 4G Upgrade
    Small Homemade CNC
    Sherline CNC Mill
    Aspire 4.5
    AutoCAD
    CorelDraw

A small CNC router

Quote Originally Posted by aaron hero View Post
    I am building a small 3 axis cnc router and I am looking for ideas.
    I will be using linear bearings running on aluminum angle for all three axis.
    I have all the bearings and aluminum, just deciding what material to build the machine out of, MDF, aluminum, plastic. any other suggetions?
    Aaron
    Our robotics teacher just built one out of MDF board. Old steppers from inkjet printers move a dremel tool. The bearings are shower door rollers with the bar pulled off of a cheap set of F clamps and drawer slides are used to control the tables long axis.

Mini router and a Laser

I have a couple of routers with 2 finished an 1 in disarray and 1/2 built and also a laser engraver using a 30 watt ULSinc. cartridge.
    1 is a small router I used to test a design concept of size 17 steppers to see if they were powerful enough (yes they are) and also a 3 phase DC model motor from ATI that spins at 7000 revs. No where near enough speed but it does work. I plan on building my own motor at a later date that will do 22K revs which will be much better.
    Rich.
    Here is the link to all my vids.

http://www.youtube.com/user/baccus61

Here is a fancy one that is rather expensive, but really neat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quN37YskoaM
    Mike Kelly
    _________
    ShopBot Benchtop with 4G Upgrade
    Small Homemade CNC
    Sherline CNC Mill
    Aspire 4.5
    AutoCAD
    CorelDraw

Thumbs up Another build of MDF

http://buildyourcnc.com ( BYOCNC ) has an interesting MDF gantry design.

This guy built and documented on the web an MDF gantry design, then
    designed a 'new' version that he used the initial build machine to make.
    It is basically the same machine on a bit cleaner and expandable.

I am currently doing a HobbyCNC desktop rig, still trying to get EMC2 set
    up right on it, but I am thinking about doing a larger design based on the
    BYOCNC design, or preferably on the http://www.mechmate.com
    design.

If I had the nickles, just getting a shopbot would be my preferred way to go.
    But without having a 'specific' goal in mind, it is hard to convince the wife!

The BYOCNC design does use bearings, but using them running against
    angle rather than pipe like many designs do. This seems to allow for longer distances
    without deflection, because the angle is supported by MDF on edge, turning it into
    something like an I-beam for stiffness. (Not really an i-beam because the angle is not
    in tension, but look at the pages and you will get the point).

This guy is building it IN his apartment with wife and baby. ... Boy he has an understanding wife! My hat is off to her!

Oh yes, he does sell his pre-done MDF as a kit and other component parts for pretty reasonable prices, IMHO.
    ... I have no connection to him other than an admiring web reader.
    Last edited by Jack Coats; 07-29-2008 at 5:47 PM. Reason: fix BYOCNC URL ... sorry

I was unable to get the link to direct to an actual website for the BYOCNC listed by Jack.

I was waiting to post this until It was complete, but this thread popping up again has given me a reason to post my new machine that is under construction. It is at 95% right now. I am waiting for my Gecko's to show up. It is a 49"x49" cutting area, over all size 6'x6' foot print. Dual lead-screw, 1/2" 5 start acme with 2 turns per inch. I have a small xylotex 270 oz-in 3 axis stepper system hooked up right now and I can rapid easily at 300 ipm. My new Gecko system should be able to cut at that speed.

It is made of 8020 extrusion from the Ebay store, flange bearings, delrin ant-backlash nuts, HDPE, a little MDF and electrical unit-strut. motion is on v-groove bearings top and bottom. This is steps above an MDF machine and not much lower than a Shopbot standard for 1/3 of the cost. I will be running a 2.25 hp router as a spindle. For a hobbiest - this will kick the butt of my older MDF/BB 22"x34" machine that cut at 10ipm and be a lot more accurate.

I will post more after the control is installed around 8/15

- Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Red face Corrected URL

http://buildyourcnc.com ... Sorry, this is the correct URL for the BYOCNC link!

Your 2020 rig looks great!
    Last edited by Jack Coats; 07-29-2008 at 5:48 PM.