Thread: Advice Needed: I'm Looking at a 1984 Rockwell Unisaw

Advice Needed: I'm Looking at a 1984 Rockwell Unisaw

Hi Guys- Thanks in advance for any advice you may have for me.

looking at a 1984 Unisaw Model 34-801 with the Rockwell label (no mention of Delta - must have been made just prior to Delta buying them) . see linked photos below - can't seem to make the upload work today.

Asking price is $1100 including the unifence, a Delta tenoning jig, some blades, a dado blade, it looks to be in very nice shape - in a serious hobbyist's home shop.

other info:
    Rockwell 10” tilting Table Saw, 240 volt,
    includes extra blades/dado blades
    unifence & table
    blade guard
    mitre gage
    4” dust port
    tenoning jig
    Rockwell UniSaw Cat. 34-801

-3450 RPM
    -15.5 Amps
    I guess it is 1.5 or 2 HP.
    Table dimensions: 27” x 48”

I like the thought of purchasing a good old American made table saw, buying local and not dropping $300 on freight, - and having a 2-3 decade table saw for my budding shop (still growing into it - do residential renovation now so no time for my own projects yet - but would think this saw could be my one for life). Am I right in considering this 1984 Rockwell Unisaw (made in Tennessee?) be my 'for life' saw as a hobbyist/renovator?

Is this just a fair price, or is it a deal? What would this have cost new in 1985?
    I did see the thread of the guy who bought the same saw for $250 from a Habitat Store in Phoenix - so I realize it's not that steal. But is a well kept Unisaw worth paying a little premium for to get one close by in (apparently)
    great condition?

What should I look at closely to check it before purchase? What parts show wear what are areas of /maintenance/flatness/signs of abuse to look at, etc.

Thanks for any advice!!!!
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...tingunisaw.jpg
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...awunifence.jpg

At 15.5 amps and 220 volts, it should be more than 1.5 horsepower by a good bit. It may be 3 horsepower.

Find out what the blades are. If there are two WWIIs there, a dado king set and a bunch of stuff, then that's worth something.

How much room does the fence have to the right? If it's 30 inches, chances are you'll be looking for longer rails if you have the saw long.

It looks well cared for, and may at the very most be worth that much if the blades and dado blades are premium blades in good shape and there is lots of room to the right of the blade (like 40 or 50 inches).

You can probably get the tenoning jig for $50 used pretty easily - that is, if you want it.

All that said, if all of the stuff that comes along with it is stuff that you want, maybe it's worth looking at. If it isn't, then I'd wait for a saw that's closer to what you want.

Unisaw

I have the Unisaw grandfather of the one you are looking at. I up-graded mine with the unifence (52") and extended rollerbase in the 80's. Am now on my 3rd motor. Went to link belts instead of the solid-much quieter. See if he has the right hand table extension that was removed to allow for installation of the unifence. It bolts on the delta shaper for an enlarged table top. I also have the same tennoning jig. Would not trade it for any of the new ones. It's much heavier. Although the price may seem a bit steep, from your picture I would say the gentleman loved and took good excellent care of it. I'm also guessing that you have a 3 hp. motor since he was a professional. As far as parts that may show wear and tear on senior Unisaws, check the paint at the base of the cabinet where his broom may have scratched it. I'm joking. They are built like tanks. I bought mine used 40 plus years ago. Still love it. Still use it almost every day doing custom woodwork. Think you've already, pretty well, made up your mind. I'm with you, get the darned thing. You won't regret it. Offer him less but don't leave without it. Al

Since my 2HP unisaw is 11 amps at 240 volts, its a safe bet that it is a 3hp.

I have a 1976 year model with a 3 hp motor and a Biesemeyer fence. I've had it for over 25 years and haven't had to spend a penny on repairs. It's used professionally and every time I use it, I'm glad I bought it. I had the Unifence and it's a great fence too. I only changed fences because I was bored and got a great deal from a SMC member a couple of years ago. You'll smile every time you start her up. Go for it!
    I am not what I want to be.
    I am not what I hope to be.
    But by the grace of God, I am not what I was.

Take a closer look at the tenoning jig

Although jigs can be had for the price quoted above, the one on the floor under the saw's right wing is an older unit. It easily outweighs the current Delta offering, probably has greater capacity and is rock steady in use. If you can find one, it will go for considerably more money than the new lightweight.
    BTW, that's one primo looking saw.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll take a shot at it.

I have the canadain made cousin of that saw made about the same time. I got mine for $700, but it needed some TLC and I dropped another $150 into to bring it up to "like new condition".

The price of $1100 seems fair for what you are getting - not a steel but it is one of hell of a nice saw.

Last edited by Jeff Norri; 11-16-2007 at 1:54 AM.

Larry,
    I would say that is a fair price. I bought a 1970 Unisaw for $400 but it needed a complete overhaul/motor/fence. By the time I was done I had a little over that in it. This one looks plug'n'play. I love mine. I thought it was silly to hear people talk about how much better a cabinet saw was when I was completely happy with my contractor saw. It doesn't do anything more than my contractors saw wouldn't do except put a big ole grin on my face every time I turn it on. At that price you are also in Grizzly 1023 territory if you pefer new and shiney. I wrestled with that decision but went with the Uni for the cool factor I guess. Some people say that anything with Rockwell name is not the same quality and any Uni past mid '70s is not as good as earlier stuff. I don't know what that is based on. I had to replace some internal parts on mine with some parts out of one from 1985 and they are exactly the same. I'd say buy it and don't look back. FYI- That tenoning jig shows up on the bay every once in a while and fetches upwards of $250( if you wanted to sell to to reduce your out of pocket).
    just my $.02

My Baldor 3hp 220V motor draws 15.5 amps
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 11-16-2007 at 7:19 AM. Reason: add info

That is a good price for a very nice Unisaw. It looks lie new. As Cary said the Tenoning jig sells for $250+ by its self.

thanks everyone for the great input.

nice looking iron Jeff.

Cary - tell me more about your Rockwell/Quality statement. Wasn't the Unisaw being made by Delta from the 40's and on - even after Rockwell bought delta in 1940's? What does it mean that this one is labeled only "Rockwell" Unisaw and no mention of Delta? And was this 1984 unisaw made in the same factory as earlier 'rockwell-delta' versions - and when Rockwell sold off Delta in 1984 did Delta continue making the unisaws at the same place and switch back to the "Delta Unisaw"? And when did they stop making the unisaw in the US - or did they stop?

thanks guys love learning about the old stuff!

Larry,
    I'm the wrong person to ask about Delta /Rockwell history. I have read quite a few threads on the OWWM site. I have seen quite a few that talk about anything past mid 70's isn't as good and questions about Rockwell quality. My Uni was made in 1970 and says Rockwell/Delta so I don't know what that means as far as quality of mine. I resurected my Uni with internal parts from one built in 1985 and they were exactly the same. I'm sure the knobs and base changed and I am not sure if that is what the comments were refering to. I know that the saw is as old as I am and will probably last 2 lifetimes. I guess I probably was rambling a little too much in the early morning. Is it in your garage yet?