Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you make dados?

How do you make dados?

Just curious.

I don't have a TS and really am not planning on getting one. I am looking into accurate alternatives to make accurate dados.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Last edited by Charles Wilson; 01-27-2008 at 8:53 PM.

There are all manner of router bits for this purpose. Some people prefer this method. Router and straight edge is all it takes.

i usually make mine too wide

currently i use my TS, but my next 'jig on the drawing board' is an adjustable dado jig for my router that i found in one of my magazines

I use a router and a jig.....or a router and a straight edge.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Tablesaw usually. Or a router

Definitely with a dado blade and table saw. I found it’s just so much easier, now that’s just me. I guess it depends on what you’re used to. I’ve posted some pictures on dados and how we use them on my website under cabinetry. XXXXXXXXXX
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 02-08-2008 at 8:28 AM. Reason: Wesite in signitures are not allowed

I use a router that attaches to my EZ Smart rail.

Dados (across the workpiece), grooves (the length of the workpiece) and rabbits/rebates (along the edge of a workpiece) can all be done with both a saw and a router. I use both methods, depending on things like convenience, workpiece size and orientation, etc., but have been gravitating more to the router method since I moved to a sliding table saw. Cross-cutting dados in panels, etc, is a snap using the router and a guide (or my Festool MFT). For long grooves, I still prefer the table saw, however, but there is no "one way is best" for this kind of work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Like most, sometimes TS, sometimes router. I will add for wider cuts that need to be prefectly flat bottom, rooter is the best bet. Even quality stack sets will grove on multiple passes.

CMT Dado Blade on the table saw.

Blog Entries
    I used to exclusively do dado's with a router. It is still my preferred method when the piece to cut is large. I have the SD508 and when appropriate feel the TS does a great job with minimal setup.

If you go with a router which I assume you will, make yourself something like this.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Looks like I'm the only one that regularly uses a radial arm saw, sometimes with a dado blade, sometimes making multiple cuts with the regular blade if I'm only making a few. I am probably going to switch to the router method, though.

Table saw is the fastest way, but not necessarily the most accurate and won't deliver the cleanest cut.

Cutting dados with a router takes some getting used to but you will find it is quite easy after some practice. Stopped dados are a breeze with a router and you can very easily adapt your dado setups to cut sliding, and tapered sliding dovetails.

Dados can be cut with a rotuer and a single strait edge clamped accross the work piece but this is a very diffficult operation.

The key is a either a shop made jig with parallel guides for the router base and a 90 degree fence, or a guide system like the EZ Smart or Fesstool.

14. Router and a straightedge

Not as easy as a table saw, but I found it was cheaper to by the bit than to invest in a dado blade. I will get the dado...eventually. For now, the router works really well.

Nothing different that the other posters. I rather use a TS but router will do just fine. If the pieces are not to big on the router table. Also consider the bits, straight or spiral (they cut cleaner)