Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is gonna sound crazy but...

Blog Entries

This is gonna sound crazy but...

I have a pigeon that has not left my back yard since I started building my workshop in the spring. It even sleeps right next to my dog. Durring the day it sits on a ceramic pot for the better part of the day, which is better than my 12 Delta sliding miter saw that it first had picked as a perch. Well it has kind of become a pet now so I was thinking of building it a little place to keep out of the cold this winter. any ideas as to what might work? I don't want to build something and have him not use it. Probably the silliest post ever here.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Doesn't sound crazy at all. This is what hung around when my shop was being built:

img_0743a.jpg

That's crazy.
    Last edited by Rob Bodenschatz; 11-16-2007 at 6:06 PM.

Man.....you got too much time on your hands

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    I have a pigeon that has not left my back yard since I started building my workshop in the spring. It even sleeps right next to my dog. Durring the day it sits on a ceramic pot for the better part of the day, which is better than my 12 Delta sliding miter saw that it first had picked as a perch. Well it has kind of become a pet now so I was thinking of building it a little place to keep out of the cold this winter. any ideas as to what might work? I don't want to build something and have him not use it. Probably the silliest post ever here.
    Greetings from Canada -

I have never made a birdhouse and I don't know if a pigeon would stay in it, but I can tell you this - this post was far more entertaining than a lot of others posts I have read and even heartwarming in an odd sort of way.....keep us updated on the developments

My neighbor would tell you it is obviously a relative of yours that has passed on and has come back to be with you. So just in case.. build a nice little home for him/her

If you think you have a problem try "pigeon house" under Google images.

We had a neighbor who had pigeons when I was a kid. I remember a plywood box with perches.

Nice post.

Thanks

Speaking of pigeons....

A guy I work with had a beef with another co-worker who was a machinist. We were in a large warehouse type building with the occasional pigeons. Before a long weekend the guy climbed up into the rafters and sprinkled bird seed on the beams directly above the guys lathe and mill. Monday morning the machines were covered in bird crap.

Birds that bond with people can be surprising. Fellow I knew found a seagull in his yard with an injured leg. Fed it until the leg got better. Seagull came for food every morning for 29 years. Some birds live a long time.

For pigeons be carefull this one doesn't bring a friend or 2. You could end up with a few dozen and a lot of unhappy neighbours. And if you drive them 20 miles and drop them they'll be home later in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    ...so I was thinking of building it a little place to keep out of the cold this winter. any ideas as to what might work?
    How about some inspiration from John?

Nice story - glad to hear your dog has a new friend. Sorry, no idea what a Pigeon would live in but let us know what you decide on.

Glenn
    Why do shop gnomes only steal the sharpened pencils?

What are ya' charging for rent???? Are you zoned for that????
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Many years ago my wife and I rescued and nursed back to health an injured racing pigeon - best pet I ever had until we "inherited" a second-hand dog a couple of years ago. That bird decided that I was her One True Love and would follow me around, perch on me and attack (well, as much as a stupid pigeon CAN attack) anyone who came to close to me. (My teenage son at the time loved to come over and touch my shoulder when she was perched on me just to have the fun of watching her spread her wings to look menacing and peck at his hand!)

Pigeons are very hardy animals, so a plywood box to provide some shelter from the wind should be plenty. Leave the bottom open and put a single 2" strip of wood down the center for the bird to stand on to keep cleaning to a minimum. Still, it's a wild animal, so you might go to the trouble and the bird may not see it as suitable shelter.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

Okay, Bill, you're motives are admirable but what is this nonsense about "cold this winter"? You are in Tucson, for crying out loud. The pigeons around here can be seen foraging the courthouse squares in the middle of January at zero degrees.

Smile

I think the pigeon has all ready found a home. He's waiting for it to be finished.
    Stacey

Blog Entries
    LMBO to some responses. The link to those bird houses are beautiful but The bird ain't gettin a house nicer than mine.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.