Thread: Back from Alaska!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains

Talking Back from Alaska!

I just got back from three weeks on Kodiak Island. It was cold, windy, snowy & wet, but most of all it was beautiful.

The first pic is a good size island off of Cape Narrow that I fell in love with on my first trip up there.

The second is typical winter time scenery around the facility.

Next is a fat little fox that seemed as interested in me as I was in him.

The last pic is of the IPF and SCAT buildings, the tall structure (170 ft.) is launch pad 1.

It's great to be back! Now, I have a lot of catch up reading to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce, beautiful pictures. I didn't know we had a launch facility in Alaska - interesting.

Welcome back.

Be well,

Doc

Kodiak to Albuquerque...You'd think your body would crack. Welcome back.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I always found it odd that my dad spent quite of bit of his Navy term in Kodiak during Korea. I wonder if that launch pad goes back that far. I understand there was a lot of monitoring of the Russians going on up there. About all we ever got out of him was how great the fishing was.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by David Durgy
    I always found it odd that my dad spent quite of bit of his Navy term in Kodiak during Korea. I wonder if that launch pad goes back that far. I understand there was a lot of monitoring of the Russians going on up there. About all we ever got out of him was how great the fishing was.
    David, the facility is only a few years old and built by a public corporation. It was strongly supported by Alaska senator Ted Stevens & the Clinton & Bush administrations. If you do a google on “ Kodiak launch complex” their web site will come up.
    I don’t know about the Navy but Kodiak is home to the country’s largest Coast Guard facility.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Beautiful country...I can almost smell the fresh air when I look at the pics....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Beautiful photos, Bruce.
    I can also smell the fresh air and feel the chill.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA