Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your miter saw bench

Show me your miter saw bench

Gonna build a miter saw bench soon along a wall. It will probably be 12 to 15 ft long. Cant decide on the design I want to use. I dont know if i want to recess the miter saw so the top of the saw is flush with entire bench or set the miter saw on top of the bench and build outfeed tables to the left and right. Also i want to make it so I can interchange my Makita SCMS and DeWalt CMS. Any ideas? Pictures would help too.........

If I did it over I would not center it, I would off set it right for a longer bed.
    Jim

There is a complete pictorial of mine on my web site (click on my name at the top of this post) and it's based on Chris Gotchenour's cantilever design that was published in Fine Woodworking a number of years ago. Here's a very, very old picture...

Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-19-2007 at 8:56 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dale

Here is a pic of mine. Nice and simple but does the trick. It's built out of MDF and maple trim with a length of just under 12 ft.
    It was made a few years ago and if I do it again it will have cabints under it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Callaghan View Post
    If I did it over I would not center it, I would off set it right for a longer bed.
    Jim

Jim, what are the dimensions of your MS bench? I really like that...

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Fully supported for 8' on either side and I love it. Really wastes space but I cant take it apart after using it for the siding/trim outside my house.

here DSCN0084.JPG

and here
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58034
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

I based this one on Norm's design, with some mods on drawer layout, height, depth, and I used laminate on the top instead of hardboard. All that storage is utopia.
    J D Thomas
    ThomaStudios

Miter Saw Bench

Here is my miter saw bench. The area is a little messy when this picture was taken. Must have been working on something. The radial arm saw is to the right of the miter saw bench so it can be used to hold the cutoff piece if it is long. The miter saw bench can also support something being cut on the radial arm saw. The bed of the miter saw is even with the bench top. The slot that the miter saw fits into can be interchaged with another miter saw. I have three of them.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Rod, I'm curious - are your three MS's same or different brands, and are they all the same height from the surface they rest on to the table? I'm trying to figure out whether it's necessary to make that dimension adjustable for future saw swaps, or if it's a "standard".

My DeWalt SCMS looks to be close to a 2x4 height (roughly 3.5" - haven't measured it exactly yet) and I'm already thinking about a Bosch if I experience the problems others have mentioned. Thanks... Steve

Miter saws

Steve....They are three different brands, the Dewalt which you see, a Delta and a Craftsman. I have made a sort of platform that each one is attached to. The platform and the miter saw attached to it can just slip out and another slipped in. And each miter saw is a different height so each platform is a different height. The drop in the bench is almost 7 inches where the saws fit. The base or platform for the Delta is 3 1/2 inches high. The Base or platform for the Craftsman is 4 inches high. Hope this helps.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Rod, thanks for the quick reply - guess it would be too much to ask for such a simple thing to be "standard" Steve

JD, that's an EXCELLENT utilization of what would otherwise be wasted space under the miter saw extension tables.

What Frank said.... neat idea. Never can have too much storage!

Greg

Jim,

that's a mighty fine miter station you go there. Very nice!

V/R

dan

Here's my skethup model.