Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know when is the best time of the year to buy

Does anyone know when is the best time of the year to buy

the big tools from Home Depot? I'm ready to finally get the 6" Joiner TP0610 & the 13" Planer TP1300LS. Naturally, I need to try to save as much money as possible ~ so I was wondering if by chance those might go on sale between now & the years end due to Christmas. Does anyone know what HD has done in the past?

I'm in Canada, but HD typically has some phenomenal bargains to attract people in at Christmas-time. Last year, IIRC the Ridgid Table Saw was on for $499, regular $700-800. Similarly, the 13" Ridgid planer was around $100 off. It's probably worth waiting a month or so (I should have taken my own advice ).

I would watch Amazon and Lowes, if you have one, for bargains. I've rarely seen anything of a super deal at my local HD. Not never...just very very rare. I've gotten some super deals, along with free shipping, by watching and waiting on Amazon.

Good Luck!

The post Thanksgiving Friday (Black Friday) ad for HD is posted here: http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/Bla...tore/HomeDepot. Nothing in the way of major tools is on that list.

My experience has been that HD rarely discounts their higher ticket items, at least not by much. A few years ago after a particularly slow Christmas HD was giving a 10% off anything. I saw contractors loading those big flat carts with tools because that was how rare it was to be able to get even 10% off from the BORG. So I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope to see the tools you want go on sale.

Now if you can change brands and shop Amazon, Grizzly, or some other internet retailers your chances are greater. You have to factor in shipping in those cases, but may save on sales tax if you have that in your state.

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Koch View Post
    I would watch Amazon and Lowes, if you have one, for bargains. I've rarely seen anything of a super deal at my local HD. Not never...just very very rare. I've gotten some super deals, along with free shipping, by watching and waiting on Amazon.

Good Luck!
    I agree. Also, you might find something you like better.
    For example, there are some Amazon deals right now on a PC router with a ROA sander and also there is a Freud plunge router pretty cheap. Free shipping on all.

I got my Dewalt CMS + stand at HD. As far as things like a TS go, I would rather have a good used cabinet saw. If we're talking about imports, don't forget about Grizzly.

Rob

Best I've seen is Memorial Day and Veterans' Day, and 10% off for veterans and serving military people.

My advice would be to support your local woodcraft store if you have one. I know my local store is selling the Rikon 6" jointer for $399 during the holidays. This model has an enclosed base which the Ridgid does not (I know because I own the ridgid model).

Dennis

Leslie,
    FYI. Rigid has a new model 13" planer out, don't have the model number handy... but it's now a 3 blade cutter head with a 4 post design. Just saw it in one of the WW'ing mags last night (CRS this am on the name, or just frustrated trying to still post pics here ). It's a single speed unit, but most with the 2 speed machines never use both or do so very rarely.
    I have the TP1300LS and it's a good little lunchbox for me, but the 3 blade & 4 post design are great improvements at no extra $. Need to be careful when you buy one though, I guess both planers have the same SKU # at the orange borg, @ $350.
    Its a 4_ _ _ model number IIRC?

Greg

I hate HD. As was mentioned, use a local woodworking store. Call them, talk to the manager, give them your budget, and ask them to help you out with a best time to buy. Or even call one of the online distributors. These people aren't hard salesman that are going to flood you with emails and phone calls and will probably give you an honest opinion. Good luck.

Hello,
    I use a slightly different tactic for "deals" at HD.
    I picked up one of their consumer credit cards that awards points for dollars spent.
    At certain times, HD will give you 5 points per dollar on purchases made there during certain periods. Otherwise, they award a point for every one dollar on purchases.

I shop the "deals" at both Lowes and Amazon - and pay for them with the HD card.
    It's been a few months since I've checked, But I believe I'm getting close to a *free* jointer.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

"I shop the "deals" at both Lowes and Amazon - and pay for them with the HD card. "

Rich, how is it that you pay Amazon with a Home Depot card? I don't see anything on the Amazon or HD websites that indicate this. thanks

Leslie,
    I thought you had a great question. Yes, I can find good deals elsewhere, but I'm planning on buying a RIDGID Oscillating Edge/belt Spindle Sander. Since I have almost enough cash socked away I was wondeering if they ever go on sale. From the repsonses you got it doesn't sound like they do.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

10 percent any time

If you go to the pro desk at home depot and talk real nice, they will give you ten percent of your first purchase on a new home depot credit card. Even if they are not running the promotion at the time. Just need to get the right person. You can do a consumer card now and a contractor card later for the next big purchase. I am building my house and have taken advantage of this at Lowes and Home Depot. Between me and the wife, that is four opportunities to get 10 percent off of large purchases. Home depot limits your savings to $200 max but Lowes has no limit.

James

Hello Jack,
    The HD card I referred to is their HD Master Card.
    No annual fee - 1 point for every dollar spent on regular purchases.
    5 points for every dollar spent at HD during certain promotional periods.
    2500 points = a $25.00 Home Depot gift card.

With the price of gas > $3.00 a gallon, and the number of miles I drive for work, it doesn't take long to rack up the points.

Since it's a regular Master Card, it's good wherever MC is taken - Amazon and Loews.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

15. Also, if you sign up for the home depot credit card, they will periodically mail you a 10% off coupon.

I do agree with the idea of going to a Woodcraft and checking out what they have though.

I've really become disenchanted with the big box stores.