Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shop made bowl/spindle steady; 3 or 4 arms?

shop made bowl/spindle steady; 3 or 4 arms?

I am planning on making a bowl steady this weekend out of plywood with arms out of solid wood. I have looked at a number of great examples on the site and see that people have both 3 and 4 arm versions. I don't plan on turning a ton of small spindles but would like to be able to use it for drilling some pepper mills and for bowls as well. Any suggestions on which model to copy?
    Thanks,
    Ben

The more arms you include, the more points of contact, the steadier it will be. That said, mine has three arms and works well.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Only three wheels/arms are needed for stability. Think about a tripod. But two wheels are sufficient if located in the right places; the third stabilizing force is provided by you and your cutting tool. Some commercial models are made that way, e.g. Oneway's bowl steady.

Aside from that, I'd prefer three wheels/arms in case of temporary imbalance. The third wheel is ordinarily at the top, and can interfere with a laser system for controlling the wall thickness when hollowing. So, four wheels, on the diagonals, is better if you think you might go down that path.

More wheels may provide more stability, but they increase the minimum size of turning because the wheels can't be allowed to touch one another.

Joe

A three legged stool never wobbles!

Robert Hainstock

I used roller blade wheels, and they only come eight to the package. I was able to talk neighbor Steve Schlumpf into taking four off my hands. I used mine for a bowl steady, and I believe that for spindle work i would only use three, (small surface area).

thanks for the feedback. I am now thinking of making one with five arms so that I could use three for spindle and the majority of my bowls but four if needed.
    Ben

Made a 4-arm steady rest a couple of months ago and it makes a world of difference. As far as the wheels preventing you from holding smaller items - just take off the wheels on any 2 diagonally opposing arms and re-install to the other side of the arm. That way the wheels don't touch each other.

Steady Rest.jpg

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 11-17-2007 at 10:22 AM. Reason: add photo
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

My Bowl Steady has only two wheels. One wheel rides about 8:30 o'clock, the other wheel rides about 10 o'clock. I don't know where I first saw one of them, but I tried to pattern mine after it.
    I have a Spindle Steady that has four wheels. I use it for Vases and long hollow forms. I've used it for drilling handles, but that's the only 'spindle' turning I've done. This one is patterned after Herman DeVries'.
    Both of these steady rests are made from used rollerblade wheels. Mine aren't cool looking, they just work, but I'd like to have one of those large circles with the arms, but have never taken the time to build one.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Missing Something

All the official bowl steadies I have seen have two wheels on the left side and none on top. What force are they resisting?

The tool and the tool rest apply essentially equal and opposite vertical forces to each other. Any horizontal force is applied by the turner to the tool, and thence to the workpiece. Is this force so great as to require support outside of the workpiece at the point of tool application? Just wondering.

My crude home made steady has 4 wheels that can be applied anywhere on the workpiece, as they are not constrained by slots or tubes. I usually deploy them at about 8 (o'clock), 10 or 11, 1 or 2, and 5.

Just some thoughts. Steve makes a good point, that the minimum supported diameter is not necessarily limited by the wheel size. Two wheels top and bottom, reverse the mounting for two on the sides for clearance, and the minimum can be essentially zero.

So for many, more is better, and also for many, three is totally adequate.

I have 4 wheels...works great. At 10-2 and 4-8 o'clock positions. Used just 2 yesterday on a small diameter piece. worked great. A wheel at 12 o'clock would interfere with my laser mount...so that wouldn't work for me.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Is this force so great as to require support outside of the workpiece at the point of tool application?
    Depends on the mounting and the wood. Often a bowl or vase is mounted in a chuck squeezing a tenon. It doesn't take much of a nudge to knock it slightly loose, so that the work location goes wobbly. BTDT. So, yes, I'd say the outside support is either needed or enables more aggressive cutting.

Your "crude" DIY steady actually sounds quite elegant. It likely needs only one C-clamp to attach each arm to the frame, and could use two if you want some insurance. Face the handles toward the headstock for safety. And it'd need less real estate for storage. Also, Steve's notion of attaching the arms on either side of the frame is a very good point. Consider both ideas pinched.

Some steadies I've seen have a break in the frame near the equator, so that the steady can be installed without disturbing everything else. Considering that the wheels needn't be in line, this could be a simple lap joint in the frame, with a couple through bolts on each side. I'd prefer bolts here instead of more clamps - don't want to make it TOO crude.

Joe

here is mine

it can be used 3,4 or five wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rolke View Post
    here is mine

it can be used 3,4 or five wheels
    Avast! Bosun! Trim the topsail! Keep a firm hand on the tiller and a keen eye to the sextant, mister! A "salt" would have to have the sea in his heart and brine in his veins to grapple with that helm! (sorry for the nautical stuff, I couldn't help it)

Chris, That is one wicked looking device! What does that thing weigh?! It looks like it can handle about anything. SWEET!!!!!

I got my roller blades wheels from the local skating rink. They change out their wheels often enough. They just throw away the used ones. If anyone needs wheels this is a good source. Free stuff always is! Just ask for a few in-line skate wheels they are ready to pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by robert hainstock View Post
    I used roller blade wheels, and they only come eight to the package. I was able to talk neighbor Steve Schlumpf into taking four off my hands
    One good turn deserves another

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
    Avast! Bosun! Trim the topsail! Keep a firm hand on the tiller and a keen eye to the sextant, mister! A "salt" would have to have the sea in his heart and brine in his veins to grapple with that helm! (sorry for the nautical stuff, I couldn't help it)

Chris, That is one wicked looking device! What does that thing weigh?! It looks like it can handle about anything. SWEET!!!!!

it weighs in at 48 lbs fully dressed

i was pleasently surprised to see it when it was completed

my problem is i have been so busy with everything else i havent had a chance to use it yet