Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forum Skin

I don't like it either. I find myself squinting to read it. Specifically, I feel as though the light background color in the header at the top of each posting (where names and avatars are shown) is too light. This causes the eyes to bounce around the screen looking for the message text. A darker color would allow the messages to be framed and make it easier on the eyes.

I also find it harder on the eyes. The fonts are choppy, colors are harsh and it's now slower. I'm already having to get more and more powerful reading glasses due to my ageing eyes, please don't make it even worse.

Geesh, I am an odd ball, cause I don't see the problem with this skin. But whatever is clever..........if there is another skin put in place, so be it.

Wonder if the forum software was updated during the maintenance today? Could be the only skin that was installed with the initial update today.

Maybe I don't notice the harshness on mine because my video card/monitor is calibrated by separate hardware for my photography processing.
    Last edited by Jim Fox; 11-16-2007 at 11:34 PM.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Yuck. There, I said it.
    Only the Blue Roads

Another vote against the new scheme, I'm afraid. It makes me squint, too. It feels kind of "washed out". Must be the blue-gray text on the near white background, e.g. in the "Reply To Thread" bar I'm seeing as I write this -- not quite enough contrast.

I usually come first to the "Recent Changes" page, and the overall effect of a full page there is blinding -- lots and lots of white. Kind of like looking at an overexposed slide.
    Last edited by Dan Muller; 11-16-2007 at 11:47 PM.
    Dan Muller

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fox View Post
    Wonder if the forum software was updated during the maintenance today? Could be the only skin that was installed with the initial update today.
    Seems unlikely:
    1. the vBulletin software is a couple versions behind the latest and
    2. the skin is from a third-party source.

(Look down at the very bottom of the page. Of course it's light-blue letters on white background on my machine, so it's pretty hard to read.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I guess I must be advancing in years as well, because the colors look like a little washed out to me as well. I think if we can darken the tones a bit the visual impact would improve. I do like the new layout though.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

The changes in the way the pages look is OK. But the font and orange color really suck. How about changing the font and colors back to what was working fine?

PS - the six people that emailed Aaron that they like the new skin must be the ONLY six people that like it!!!
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Blog Entries
    One thing of a more serious nature. I can't tell when I go to a board if there is a thread that I have posted in or not. Now I have to try to figure out..."Did I post in there or not?"

Jon
    Have a Nice Day!

Add me to the "don't like it" list. Why not offer various skins? It's not difficult with vBulletin. Perhaps a little more maintenance if you have a lot of style mods, but once you've made the mod you usually don't have to mess with it again.

I'm with the other guys Aaron - the colors are hard on the eyes. The new format is ok but I am relatively new here and didn't really know all the old features so I can't comment on what has changed in that regard and whether or not I like it.
    Lee

I'm not liking the orange as well

Hmm ... with all the gratitude i have for this place, I must say that this change does make the place harder to use. I can't read the report, quote, quote+ and reply buttons without squinting and i'm only 32 (today!) with decent eyesight.

I really think the best solution is to let us pick our own skin from a handful of selections (one of them including the original skin we had yesterday). Nothing beats that.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Yikes!

Please place another vote in the "not a change for the better" pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein View Post
    The changes in the way the pages look is OK. But the font and orange color really suck. How about changing the font and colors back to what was working fine?

PS - the six people that emailed Aaron that they like the new skin must be the ONLY six people that like it!!!
    The entire change is terrible, and I bet the six people that emailed Aaron are trying to better their chances in the SMC free stuff drawings. Maybe we should start to email Aaron with the way the rest of us feel, make sure he has enough to read in his inbox.

Heather