Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kitchen cabinet interiors

David, the Minwax polycrylic is one of the few Minwax products I'll actually use, but it's my "in a pinch" go-to for a water borne finish. (I generally use Target Coatings USL or Hybrivar) It's downside for me is that it contains polyurethane and that's something I just prefer not to use on furniture, although there is only a limited amount in a water borne acrylic. I have sprayed the product right out of the container with very good results, both on wood prepared with BLO and a seal coat of de-waxed shellac as well as over flat latex paint that I used for a particular product purely for color.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Anne,

A couple reasons for multiple coats in any finishing schedule is to add extra layers for 'protection' or to bring the finish to a smoother result as in filling the pores, etc. Since this is the inside of a cabinet, there will be very little wear to contend with. There are other reasons but in this case that's where I see the resultant benefit. In this case, and I think we're still talking about the inside of the cabinets, IMHO the only reason I would do multiple coats is if it was obvious I wasn't getting good coverage with one coat. With the schedule you indicated in your last post, it sounds good to me, but I'm not sure that you would need multiple coats given that you are finishing up with at least a single gloss coat. As in all finishing schedules, try it on scrap birch ply material and see if you like it. Place it inside the cabinet afterwards to get an idea of what it will look like inside the cabinet. Try different approaches, etc. as you will get a million suggestions here but the end result will be what looks good to you in your application.