Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contractors tablesaw mods

Contractors tablesaw mods

Winter is setting in up here in North Dakota and I usually don't get much woodworking done this time of the year because of the cold, so I'm back to doing more mods on my Delta 34-445X Contractors tablesaw that is about 12 years old. Recently I've been looking for a paddle type switch that I could mount under the Unifence rail. Delta has one, if you can find one, they are selling for about $75 with a new longer cord, a bit pricey for what it is in my opinion. The next option, which is the way I'm steering towards is a Craftsman paddle switch for about $25, it doesn't come with new cords for the Delta but thats ok, I'll just use the old cords, they are still in pretty good shape, I will probably have to ad to the cord going to the motor because I think it will need to be longer but that shouldn't be a problem with a small junction box that I salvaged from a Halogen work light, I can hide it under the cast iron top on the outside of the cabinet. I like the design of the Craftsman switch better also. Next I'll be building dust ramps from sheet metal for the interior bottom corners of the saws cabinet.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 11-17-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Chuck,
    Here is my 36-666. I added the switch from Sears but Rockler now sells the same one for $29. As long as you are upgrading I suggest a link belt and machined pullies from A-Line-It along with thier PAL's which make adjusting the blade to miter slot a heck of a lot easier.

Here's my Jet sightly modified,

In 1998 I decided to purchase something new and settled on the Jet Contractor model with 1 cast iron wind and the 30 inch XACTA fence system. The saw also came with a 1 3/4hp motor wired for 110 volts.

Once home and partially assembled I ordered an additional cast iron wing, machined pulleys, and a link belt. I changed the motor over to 220 volts then gave the saw a complete tuneup using a TS-Aligner Jr.

Here's the saw in it's present state with 2 cast iron wings.

I added a JDS Accu-Miter miter gage which matches the precision and repeatability of the saw.

This saw will cut what ever I run through it all day long and with the repeatable precision of something much more expensive at much less the cost.

This investment was definatley worth it.

I used this replacement pushbutton switch from Woodworker's supply ($20.59) on my 34-410:

http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=140-066
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Voss View Post
    I used this replacement pushbutton switch from Woodworker's supply ($20.59) on my 34-410:

http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=140-066
    I wish that switch was available in a momentary NO/NC version for saws with a separate magnetic starter (3ph). Any suggestions?

Rob

Rob, just buy a big mushroom head industrial pushbutton. Here's two inexpensive sources:
    http://www.automationdirect.com
    http://www.factormation.com

You'd need start and stop pushbutton actuators, normally open and/or normally closed contact blocks as required, and a small enclosure. I find the mushroom button very convenient to hit with my knee. Maybe occasionally TOO convenient as I'll bump it off once in a while, but that's better than the opposite. You'll want a recessed button for the start so that you can't accidentally hit it.

Instead of sheet metal ramps, why not bevel a couple pieces of wood. Use double stick tape to hold it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Instead of sheet metal ramps, why not bevel a couple pieces of wood. Use double stick tape to hold it in place.
    Why bother with either? It seems like an excersize in fixing something that isn't broken.

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Rob, just buy a big mushroom head industrial pushbutton. Here's two inexpensive sources:
    http://www.automationdirect.com
    http://www.factormation.com

You'd need start and stop pushbutton actuators, normally open and/or normally closed contact blocks as required, and a small enclosure. I find the mushroom button very convenient to hit with my knee. Maybe occasionally TOO convenient as I'll bump it off once in a while, but that's better than the opposite. You'll want a recessed button for the start so that you can't accidentally hit it.
    Matt,
    If I dont have time to locate all the parts.......
    Have you ever seen one allready put together with both buttons and the contact blocks mounted in an enclosure?

Sorry for the hijack.
    Rob

Not that I'm aware of but I haven't dealt much with industrial hardware in years. However, here is what I would buy, assuming your stop is a normally closed pushbutton like standard. If not, just get two of the NO contacts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Not that I'm aware of but I haven't dealt much with industrial hardware in years. However, here is what I would buy, assuming your stop is a normally closed pushbutton like standard. If not, just get two of the NO contacts.
    Thanks for the help Matt. There was something wrong with the link in the original post (missing "Y"). This works for me.

I'll compare to the OEM components currently on the PM TS and see which is the best way to go. As you said, we might be able to change that one operator.

Thanks again,

rob

Cool

I apreciate all the paddle switch finds some of you posted. I am looking for one like Richard Dragin, and Matthew Voss has shown. A couple years ago I bought a Fenner Drives PowerTwist link belt for the saw and wired it up for 220 volts, those two mods made a big difference. I haven't tried the PALS yet, but I can see it as being a purchase in the near future. In the last year I started working on the dust collection by makeing a dust port and dealing with the open back of the cabinet useing sheet metal and so far I'm very pleased with it. I get a little bit of sawdust that sits on the ledge inside the cabinet, the ramps should solve that. One other thing I'd like to have are 2 cast iron extension wings. I only have one wing and it's stamped steel.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 11-18-2007 at 6:16 PM.

paddle switch

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    I apreciate all the paddle switch finds some of you posted. I am looking for one like Richard Dragin, and Matthew Voss has shown. A couple years ago I bought a Fenner Drives PowerTwist link belt for the saw and wired it up for 220 volts, those two mods made a big difference. I haven't tried the PALS yet, but I can see it as being a purchase in the near future. In the last year I started working on the dust collection by makeing a dust port and dealing with the open back of the cabinet useing sheet metal and so far I'm very pleased with it. I get a little bit of sawdust that sits on the ledge inside the cabinet, the ramps should solve that. One other thing I'd like to have are 2 cast iron extension wings. I only have one wing and it's stamped steel.
    Chuck, I found BusyBee's Tools website a while back, they have that paddle switch for $11.99 til 1/12/2008. Thought you might be interested
    in looking at it. Jim Heffner
    Last edited by Jim Heffner; 11-22-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Today I decided to order the switch from Woodworker's supply ($20.59) with free shipping till 12/07/07 on internet orders. It comes with the electrical box also.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 12-01-2007 at 6:17 PM.

I got the switch, and just finished working on a mount made out of 14 ga. sheet metal. It will attach under the extension wing where the fence bolts to it.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 12-13-2007 at 11:51 AM.