Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Holiday Ornament Exchange trade list

You're too kind...

You were very generous yourself ! A lovely birdhouse and some very cool Texas black wood. Thank you!

The box just seemed kind of empty and light so I threw in a bunch of extra stuff. Why not for Flat Rate! I hope you enjoy the ornaments. The 2 little ones are kind of a "Mr. & Mrs." Ken for your anniversary. I made the hollowing tool by silver brazing a HSS bit to a mild steel bar like Bob Rosand does. The wood is a do-it-yourself-ornament kit ! Have fun and have a wonderful Holiday Season !

Don

P.S.-I got a big kick out of the box you used. I've seen a lot of those GE Medical System boxes myself at work !
    Last edited by Don Orr; 12-20-2007 at 7:59 PM. Reason: Added Text
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I was looking for something large enough to allow padding and I found that in my office here at home.

Don....a quick question. I have large hands and would like to put a handle on that tool. How far out of the handle would you extend the tool? I can't wait to try it. I had plans of turning this weekend but a problem came up on one of the MRs....guess where I'm spending my weekend?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Cool!

That'll do nicely Rex. Especially for your first ! Multi axis work, fluting on the bottom part-outstanding-really !

Handle

The one I use sticks out about 6" or so. The cutter may be a little long and can torque a bit if you're not careful. It will get ground down as you sharpen it. I think there may be more info at Bob Rosand's site if you google his name. I drill a 1/4 " hole and set it fairly deep in the handle, but these are not meant for heavy cutting. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Guinn View Post
    I have been trying a bunch of designs, but did not like any of them. This one seems to be one of the better ones. It's about 3"x1 1/4. Cherry top and Hackberry bottom.Attachment 77510

got my ornament from rex yesterday afternoon, and promptly hung it on the tree.

it looks great!

thanks rex!

merry christmas!
    best regards,

jeffrey fusaro

Got my ornament from Bob today. Its wonderful. Thanks. Merry Christmas.

Great and generous bunch of turners we have here...!!!!

I think we need to do this again next year.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    I agree with you Dennis I am in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

I'd have to agree also. Oh... and we shouldn't worry about having people not get the same person... because I got Dennis Peacock!

Anyway, I'm in for '08!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Great and generous bunch of turners we have here...!!!!

I think we need to do this again next year.

For the most part, I will have to agree with you Dennis.
    I look at it this way, I was most fortunate to have had a trading partner, as were others, that was kind, dedicated and in the joy of things, to fulfill there obligation and commitment to complete and forward an ornament to a trading partner.

I have, with great interest, followed this wonderful idea that Curt presented some time back.

Lets take a look!

53 turners +1 by Curt = 54 committed to the idea, and said they would love to be a part of the program.

To date 43 turners have responded and displayed there ornament.

Of the 43 turners noted above, 9 have not had any replies from there trading partner.

12 turners of the 54, did not have the respect to even respond, never the less try and make an ornament.

2 turners responded in some fashion, however still no ornament.

Curt, thank you for your time and a wonderful idea.
    Larry, thank you for being a turner, I love the bell.

For those of you that committed to this wonderful idea, continue to post hear at SMC every day, and not live up to your part, or at least respond in some way, I don't think I wish to participate in another program of this nature, as I might get YOU as a trading partner.

Just the way I see it.

Darn, wish I'd of asked if there were any 'no shows' I'd of tried doing up another.

I hope we can do it again. It started quite a thing with me. I ended up making about 100 ornaments that were sent all over the country to family and friends, they were well recieved It was a lot of fun. I will try to post pics of some of them. I want to thank all the guys that posted pics, they, helped a lot.
    I was also able to make a bunch of toys that were given to Toys for Tots. And I also won 2nd place with ornaments at Eagle America's annual contest ($50 gift certificate)

Merry Christmas to everyone
    Barbara and Earl

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener View Post

For those of you that committed to this wonderful idea, continue to post hear at SMC every day, and not live up to your part, or at least respond in some way, I don't think I wish to participate in another program of this nature, as I might get YOU as a trading partner.

Just the way I see it.
    Well Bill here's my response, I don't know if I was in your statistics or not but my ornament was sent and should be received either today or at the latest Monday. I've yet to receive mine either but I'm fine with that since it's the giving that matters.

Just a note from experience with the Internet in general, if you got into this expecting other people to play by your rules and do things on your schedule, you're fighting an uphill battle and should quit while you're ahead.

Again, mine is on the way. Sorry David but it's in the post if it's not there by now.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Andy's ornament arrived yesterday and he should have mine either today or on Monday, depending on USPS service right now.

It's truly a shame that some folks did not keep their promise to trade. Any way to connect the disappointed ones who actually responded and still provide them with partners? I would be happy to make an extra (in different wood, though) to fill out the 9 to 10.

Just let me know. I'd be pleased to adopt someone or to trade again with someone else. And I'd bet there are some other volunteers out there who'd make good on the other people's promises.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

SCORE

Rick Apt was my trading partner and although he didn't post a picture, he sent me a very nice ornament with a lot of figure in the wood and superb finish. Inside the package was a jar of homemade purple raspberry jam....sweet. I'm sure I came out on the winning end of the deal. It was a lot of fun.

I'm surprised at Bill's post below. Unless he's privy to all PMs he can't possibly know who was contacted or not. I'm not aware of Rick posting anything after the agreement to participate but he was prompt with a PM so that we could exchange addresses and sent a great ornament. Some of us beginners may be a little hesitant to post a picture of our efforts. Some may have attempted or are still attempting to complete their ornament and there are probably a few that won't. I just don't know that the posts support the statistics posted.

I enjoyed making something for someone I had only "talked" to over the internet and 1/2 a country away. The fun was in planning something for someone else, getting mine was great but it was secondary to the giving.

I would certainly participate again.

Merry Christmas to all,

Doug
    Determined to master the skew.....patience is a virtue