Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Holiday Ornament Exchange trade list

Earl:

Looks nice What are the demensions?

Hi, Greg
    It's About 1 1/2" D and about 6" long. I don't generaly measure them, except for fit. After seeing what others have made , I have made over 30 of them and will make several more. we are giving them to relative and friends.
    I did sell some last week in a private gallery and was very happy with the outcome
    Earl

Thumbs up Very Nice earl!

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Reid View Post
    Hi, Greg
    It's About 1 1/2" D and about 6" long. I don't generaly measure them, except for fit. After seeing what others have made , I have made over 30 of them and will make several more. we are giving them to relative and friends.
    I did sell some last week in a private gallery and was very happy with the outcome
    Earl
    Hi Earl,
    Yours is coming soon- it may be a little larger, I will post some pictures, thank you very much - God, I love this place!
    Brain

Well, having not turned anything for quite awhile I tried a simple ornament - an icicle.

It's Black Walnut and a little over 9" long. Having produced this stylized, pointy stick I was greatly relieved to get matched up with Raymond Overman, a connoisseur of sharp, pointy sticks!
    icicle.JPG

It only took three tries
    three_tries.JPG
    The first time I started at the ends thinking the extra wood in the middle would make it stronger. Nope - creates more whip and breaks where the thin part meets all that mass.

The second try I used my newly aquired steady rest and got it off the lathe in one piece but it is too short and stocky.

The third time I paused, sharpened all my tools, and filed down the tool rest. Before I knew it I was done and I had forgotten to use the steady rest!

Nothing like light cuts and sharp tools. I'm confident I could get it longer and thinner now but I've developed a strange hankering to do a bird house.

Thanks - this was fun!
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

2007 Holiday Exchange

Here's my ornament for Chris Rolke:

Globe is Smoke Tree......Icicle and Final are Walnut......will be in the mail this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Marley View Post
    Thanks Bill,
    Very nice! Lucky ME!

Here is yours...

Christmas Bell
    Walnut, cherry, curly maple
    2 inches wide by 6.5 inches tall

Larry
    Larry that's a beauty. Is that the one in your video? Are you the one that sent me your videos? I used your technique to make my ornament for Jon. Thanks for the video. I've got some ideas how to put the methods to use in some other ways too. I'll post pics soon.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Blog Entries
    Jon McCoy. I should be done this weekend. I'm down to finish so I shouldn't break this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Larry that's a beauty. Is that the one in your video? Are you the one that sent me your videos? I used your technique to make my ornament for Jon. Thanks for the video. I've got some ideas how to put the methods to use in some other ways too. I'll post pics soon.
    Hi Bill,
    The ornament I'm sending to Bill Stevener is a movie star. I doubt he will see any paparazzi around his Christmas tree though...
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

Blog Entries
    Hi Jon. Here's your ornament. Quilted Maple and Wenge. 4 coats of tung oil, 4 coats of laquer. I still need to buff it on the 3 wheel. I'll send it out first of the week. I hope you like it.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 11-24-2007 at 8:26 PM.

Post Well Earl~

It is almost finished! I have 4 more coats of finish to put on and It's completed! I did this in sections and then assembled everything together, pictures are posted from start to finish below. I hope you enjoy it ~
    Brian

Post More pictures

Some more pictures

Post Some pictures

some more pictures - all in order ~

Post Some more pictures

Last pictures of the Candle holder ~ Hope you like it Earl !
    Brian

Blog Entries
    That's one beautiful gift. Earl should be very happy. I know I'd be. If you don't mind my asking, what dial indicator did you use? I havent been able to find one here in Tucson.

Post Bill,

Hey Bill, the indicator, or "index" wheel ,as I call it, was made by Fredric's Machinery for me, it is a 18" in diameter, 5 degree increment (locking) made from 1/4" steel plating, It is stamped in degrees write on the index wheel as well ~ . it is awesome Bill- there is so much you can do with it ,between that and the router- its almost like heaven! It ran me around $327.00-. If you need one - he's the "manchinist" ,he does absolutely precision work and I am extremely happy with his workmanship and attention to detail.
    Have a great weekend Bill-
    Brian