Thread: starting the TS shopping

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

starting the TS shopping

Hello,

I'm wanting to pickup a new saw next year sometime. Exactly when will depend on a number of thing, namely time and money

What I have now is a Ryobi BT3100. Pros: lightweight/easy to move, excellent dust collection via blade shroud, riving knife, sliding miter table. Cons: lightweight/too easy to move, PITA to fit aftermarket jigs/featherboards/guards to.

My house and basement shop share a 400a service, and I already have 220v outlets in a couple spots in the shop. Not using anything on 220v yet, but it's there if I want it. Electrical power is *not* a problem

So... in my mind what I put on the top of my priority list are: a) riving knife, b) easily removable (and replaceable) blade guard, c) reliable, accurate and solid fence system, d) dust collection, and e) mobility. I don't saw a lot of 2-3" thick hardwood (yet) so motor power isn't a huge issue (though I wouldn't turn up my nose at it), and I use a EZ-Guide to handle breaking down wide pieces of sheet goods so I don't think a 7' rip fence is anything I want. The saw would have to be able to be wheeled out of the way in between projects (my shop gets used for other hobbies besides just woodworking).

Given those parameters, in roughly that order of priority... what is out there that fits the bill? I'd like to squeeze in under $2000 ready to cut wood if possible. Not a hard-n-fast limit, but its what I'd like to stay under. Then again, there's always the SS...

TIA,

Monte
    Last edited by Monte Milanuk; 11-20-2007 at 12:50 AM.