Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Beginning Woodworking - How to spend a $1000

One thing that has helped me is just a little networking. I got a radial arm saw free from an old guy who was now scared of it. My dad has some old planes from his dad and never uses them so I will be getting those soon. My father-in-law is a dedicated woodworker who has given me a drill press, table saw, and jointer in the process of upgrading. Many people lose interest in the hobbie and would be happy to have the space if you mentioned your interest. I think spending some money on fresh blades for any used or handed down items makes sense. The router, drill and table saw are tools I use most and with the most varied uses. My shop has a long way to go but I can tell you staying organized is something I need to improve on. I spend way too much time in the shop looking for this or that.

Blog Entries
    Don't overlook school auctions. Unfortunately a lot of high schools are doing away with their wood shop classes. Most of the power tools are 220V but hand tools are available. I bought a 5'x6'x2" maple work table with three sliding vices at a school auction for $250. I sold one vice for $100. It is really nice to have a large, flat, sturdy surface to work on. A good work surface is essential for a shop.