Thread: Challenge Met - Very Cool Tip for machining face tapers - Admin

Arrow Challenge Met - Very Cool Tip for machining face tapers - Admin

Recently I was challenged by a problem. There is a pair of double hung windows that look out into my new sunroom. I wanted to replace the existing exterior trim with the same oak trim that I have done on the inside. I removed the old trim and went to install the new when I discovered that there was a gap between the sash guides and the casing. For me, this gap was not acceptable. The lower right corner was where it should be, but the top right was in about 1/4”. On the left, the bottom was in 5/32” and the top 1/2”. I would have to have wedges that were about 61” long with various tapers (0-1/4”, 1/4-1/2”, 5/32-1/2” and 5/64-3/8”).

I could trim out the window as usual and then add wedges to fill the gap. This is awkward and would not give the finished look I want. I could make some one time jigs to precisely cut wedges on the table saw that could then be glued to the underside of the casing pieces. I have an aversion to one time jigs since I have a number of them scattered around the shop that have only been used once. Cutting long thin pieces like this on the table saw can be dangerous and difficult. I could rough cut wedges with the band saw and glue them to the casing pieces. Then I could either hand plane them to fit, a lot of planeing for my old hands, or make a jig or jigs… Oops, I don’t like one time jigs and I’m not sure I could make a reusable jig for this application.

The solution was staring me in the face. I have recently built a custom PBB (Power Bench and Bridge) with the EurekaZone Bridge and rails. I rough cut the wedges from 3/4” X 1 1/2” oak stock which took about 5 minutes on the PBB. I glued them to the underside edge of the casing stock and then in about 15 minutes, set up the PBB (I had to raise the rail higher than usual - 3 1/2”) and cut them. A little hand fitting with the hand plane and they will be ready to install. I love my PBB, it makes the difficult easy an safe to do.

This is the setup, had to raise the bridge to 3 1/2".

This is the narrow end (5/32" on this one).

This is the thick end (1/2" on this one).

That's a clever solution. Oh, and nice saw blade!
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Great job, Dik! As you said, it's difficult and unsafe on a TS but this looks easy and safe. You'd have to try to hurt yourself this way. As usual, you document your work very well too. About the only thing I can think to add is some photos of the install and/or the finished results.

Charles, the Freud 40 tooth blade is pretty much the blade of choice for the EZ Smart. It's easy to find, it works very well, and it's inexpensive. There are other blades that will work just as well but not many of them are as easy to find or as inexpensive. I'm still using the original Hilti blade that came with my Hilti saw but when it finally wears out I'll save some $$ and buy the Freud for about $15.

Dik,

Great post! It is always good to find new ways to solve problems.

Burt

Dik,
    One of the best so far.
    Thanks for posting the pictures.

Dino Makropoulos
    Eurekazone.

Dik,

Your solution is very innovative. Thanks for sharing the idea it will surely be handy for similar types of machining tasks I have ahead of me working on my 100 year old home. Jackie and have started some very large projects on our house and every day I find something else that is not standard that I have to find a work-a-round to accomplish.

This isn't a simple task normally, to machine a taper on the face of such a long piece would be difficult in most shops. Thanks again for the really nice tip.

Thank you all...

Thank you all for the kind words. I plan on posting pics of the window once I've completed the install, hopefully this week.

Talking Finally installed

After much delay, I finally got the window trim installed today.

Set up to do final hand trimming to fit.

CuttingWindowCasing-4.jpg

The finished product.

CuttingWindowCasing-5.jpg

The difference between the top and bottom on the right side.

CuttingWindowCasing-6.jpg

Beautiful Work

thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing that Dik, you guys really know how to solve problems, Im always learning something in this forum, a really useful tip!

Nice work Dik.
    Can we use the pictures?
    I like the hand plane and the way you clamped the piece on the bench.
    Thanks.

Sure Dino, be my guest, you can use the pics. If you want, I could make you some "cleaner" pics. Let me know.