Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sawmill cut up charges

Blog Entries

Sawmill cut up charges

I am sure there is a great name for what a sawmill charges to cut up logs and timbers, but I don't know what it is, so I will just call it a cut up charge untill I am corrected.
    Anyway, I have a pretty large stash of seasoned timbers that I want to be cut up into 2X and 4X lumber. The wood is either ash or maple (hard for me to tell which). These timbers are about 30 years old and are anywhere from 4 X 6 inches to 6 x 12 inches and about 10 to 12 ft long. The sawmill said they will charge me 40 cents a BF to cut these up. This seems a bit high to me, but what do I know? I was thinking maybe 20 cents. Also, why do thy charge by BF? This doesn't make much sense to me. For instance, lets say I have a timber that is 4X8 and I want them to cut it into 2X8s. They would have to run it thru the saw 1 time. But if I wanted 1X8s they would have to run it thru 3 times but I would be charged the same for both examples.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Based on some stuff I've helped others with the quote you got is exactly what I've seen. But, for the cases I've been involved with it's been cutting up logs.

Jay
    Last edited by JayStPeter; 11-21-2007 at 3:19 PM.
    Jay St. Peter

I've dealt with this too, and it's absurd to charge a board foot price. Based on board foot pricing, they would charge the same whether you had them make one cut or you had them cut it up into toothpicks. Stupid on their part. I'd almost want to have them cut something up into toothpicks just to show them how stupid they were being.

Now, what they should charge you for is loading, offloading, transporting, blades and time on the machine. Time on the machine should include whatever labor rate they have established for themselves for people, facilities, utilities and machine overhead and profit. Also for travel unless you are taking the timbers to them.

Seasoned wood is more difficult to cut (slower, harder on blades) than green timber, so an upcharge is in order there.

Todd

Blog Entries
    Todd,
    That makes a lot more since to me. But, from what I see so far charging by the BF seems to be what they all do.
    Also, what is this service commonly called? Surely it is not "cut up charge". Maybe "milling fee"?? I don't want to sound like the idiot I am when I go to such a "manly" place as a sawmill, for goodness sakes!
    I want to waltz in there like I know what I'm doing and say "I've got these @#%! timbers I need for you to ____ (cut up, mill, process.. what's the word here?). (You have to cuss in order for them to take you seriously, ya know.)
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 11-21-2007 at 4:02 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The local sawyer I have used (and will soon use again for some poplar logs waiting to be cut) charges by the hour plus 1/2 hr travel plus $25 for any blade damaged by metal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It really wouldn't surprise me if a BF isn't a pretty good measure to charge. I bet at the end of any given day the number of BF cut (assuming they ran the thing full time each day) is pretty constant. They do have a range of logs they process and I'd guess that over the course of the day an average log size and yield accounts for the per BF costs. My experience is that they only process logs within a certain size range.
    On one of my experiences the friend I was helping had a bunch of logs. The guys cutting the tree had cut some pretty nice walnut short (a few 3-4' logs) and the sawmill didn't want anything to do with them. When we asked if it was a problem with the equipment they said no. They said that it wasn't cost effective to cut those logs. I thought that was pretty short sighted of them. If they had simply said that the cost would be double since the majority of the effort is loading/unloading the wood and the shorter logs had half the yield, I'm pretty sure my friend would've paid.
    In both cases that I've dealt with sawyers, they were very concerned with the sizes of the logs when giving the quote. They also asked about thicknesses, so I assume there is a valid range there too. But, I never asked for toothpicks to verify that assumption.

Larry, one of the guys I've dealt with is menonite. If you cuss around him, he'll kick you off his property. Fortunately, I was told this by the person who recommended him.
    Jay St. Peter

Charging by the surface foot makes more sense. Think about it. Width of board times length and thickness is of no concern, nor should it be. But hey, I don't own a sawmill.
    Visit Peercon.com

Looking at a price sheet a local lumberyard gave me... they charge $5.00 per minute or $300 per hour, with a minimum charge of 25 dollars. Now, with that being said, I have no idea how long it takes for the average log to be cut up, how many boardfeet say 5 minutes of sawing will yield...

Jim, perhaps you know who I am talking about - Heacock Lumber. I have seen their mill and it looks quite efficient but I honestly have very limited experience in this area.
    "You don’t get harmony when everybody sings the same note." —Doug Floyd

To get to your original question, what is the service called you are asking for - if I understand correctly, you have some timbers that were previously sawn from logs. I would refer to what you have as cants. The pieces that that were cut off the log to make those cants are called slabs. Anyway, what you are asking for is to have your cants resawn into 2 by or whatever. The terminology may be local. As for price, I hear prices from 35 to 50 cents - by the BF plus cost of repairs if metal hit. Most of the commercial production mills won't even touch a job like this, there just isn't enough $ in it to be worth their while. Frequently, the sawyer you find will be someone who does it as a hobby, or someone like a tree service that does it as a way to use or gain some benefit from material they have little or nothing invested in.

I've sawn with a portable bandmill for several years as a hobby, and have sold a little of the product I've cut. I've never actually sawn for a cash fee. What I do is either saw as part of a trade (for tools, logs, lumber, etc.), or do what is called sawing on shares - this is where I saw your material and make two stacks. You get your choice of the two stacks, and I take the other as payment.

Rob Will Guest
    Larry,
    How badly are these cants checked (split)? is the lumber going to be of good quality?

I think you are asking for "resawing".
    Around here we pay about 20 cents a bd ft for sawing green logs.
    resawing in dry wood is a slower and more expensive process.
    40 cents does not surprise me but be sure your cants are not warped or checked.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon Peer View Post
    Charging by the surface foot makes more sense. Think about it. Width of board times length and thickness is of no concern, nor should it be. But hey, I don't own a sawmill.
    Sorry, I have to disagree. What if I took that same 4X8 timber and said make me 2 4X4s out of this. This takes one pass. but if I said turn this into 8 1X4s
    it would take 7 passes. Now explain to me how I should be charged the same amount for something that take 7 times as long to do and has 7 times as much wear on the equipment. This is what makes no since to me.

Hey, wait a minute! after rereading your post, I think you are agreeing with me after all..... So, as Gilda Radner would say Never Mind!

And does anybody know what this is service called???

Last edited by Larry Browning; 11-21-2007 at 6:09 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Well apparently I took too long to make my last post and have finally gotten my question answered. So you just need to ignore my last post altogether. See, I knew I was going to be embarrassed over this.

So, I guess I need to say. "Hey fellas!, I need to get these @#%! cants resawn" But if I notice that the saw mill is actually belt driven by a pack of mules I need to leave out the colorful language.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 11-21-2007 at 6:31 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will View Post
    Larry,
    How badly are these cants checked (split)? is the lumber going to be of good quality?

I think you are asking for "resawing".
    Around here we pay about 20 cents a bd ft for sawing green logs.
    resawing in dry wood is a slower and more expensive process.
    40 cents does not surprise me but be sure your cants are not warped or checked.

Rob
    Rob,
    These "cants" are stacked an stickered under a big tarp. I think the ones on top may not be too good, but the ones under those I think are pretty good. My son and his family are coming up to the house tomorrow for TG and he is going to help me get it loaded into my pickup, so I will know more tomorrow. Also, I may need to take the chain saw to the ends of a few.
    Larry J Browning

43 Norway Spruce Street, Stittsville, Ont, Canada
    Larry,

If you don't mind me chiming in here as a person who is a beginning (amateur) sawyer (and not trying to hijack the thread)....

I'm finding this thread very interesting as I am in the process of buying a new sawmill for myself and am also currently sawing for a friend on his small portable sawmill. I've been sawing cedar into posts and rails for fencing, and have just started sawing oak into 4/4 boards to dry and be shaped into T&G flooring. Based on my limited experience, I would guess that the only way a commercial sawmill can be decently profitable at $0.20/bf or even at $0.40/bf is to do a large volume of clean large straight logs for one customer at a time with very little downtime for handling or embedded objects that would ruin a band or blade. This way the handling (off-loading, piling, on-loading lumber, etc) is a smaller part of the overall job and as such is costed as a smaller percentage of the total "cost of sawing".

For a small job customer with only a few logs or with small logs, my opinion is that a better approach would be to find a casual sawyer (like Bo Lowrey) who has a portable mill and expect to pay him by the hour with an extra charge for transport and setup.

As a sideline ... I'm looking at mills like the 23hp Norwood Lumbermate with 17' of bed and trailer kit. based on a 4000 hour saw life and using up two motors in that lifetime, and including normal maintenance and repairs, I've calculated that the saw costs about $25/hour of sawing to run. I'm thinking that a fair rate to charge for sawing would be $75/hr while cutting and $25/hr for transport.

Would that sound like a rate that you would be willing to pay to have your cants resawed? (I think that's the correct terminology - the squared timbers are "cants" and the operation you want done is "resawing")

cheers eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Purcell View Post
    Looking at a price sheet a local lumberyard gave me... they charge $5.00 per minute or $300 per hour, with a minimum charge of 25 dollars. Now, with that being said, I have no idea how long it takes for the average log to be cut up, how many boardfeet say 5 minutes of sawing will yield...

Jim, perhaps you know who I am talking about - Heacock Lumber. I have seen their mill and it looks quite efficient but I honestly have very limited experience in this area.
    Gene Hamilton out of Chalfont is FAR less expensive than that. While I suspect his hourly rate has increased since then, it was $50 in 2000 when I had all this milled in my back yard...

I'll be inviting Gene to visit here once the addition is done as I have about 8-10 poplar logs to saw from the recent changes to our septic system.

I've been to Heacock a total of one time. Wasn't impressed...haven't returned. There is a guy off Old Easton Road between D-Town and Danboro who does impressive work, however, particularly on slabs. 'Has the right equipment for the "big stuff".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...