Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpener 's : Scheppach ($118) VS. Jet ($167)

Sharpener 's : Scheppach ($118) VS. Jet ($167)

Amazon is having what seems to be good pricing on both. Anyone care to share thought on the two? I am very tempted to get a Jet at the above price.

I bought the Jet this week for more, so I call them and they are suppose to credit the difference. What a deal on the Jet.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

The Jet didn't seemed to be liked all that much in the reviews. How do people like it on here or other WW forums?

I'd be almost tempted to get the Scheppach just on cost right now. With money being a little tight. I do have 4 sets of chisels to sharpen.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Thanks for the info on the price reduction on the Jet. I had ordered one on Monday and just called and they just credited me with the difference of 18 or so dollars.

As to which one to buy I chose the Jet because of several reasons. First was Tom Hintz' review of the Jet. He said he has owned a Tormek for several years and it sounds like he feels, irregardless of price, the Jet is as good as the Tormek and, in some ways, an improvement. He especially liked the grinding wheel material. Another reason is Jets 5 year warranty. I wasn't considering the Tormek as I can't justify the cost but I did think the larger grinding wheel that the Tormek and Jet share over the Scheppach was a plus.

At any rate all three of the machines are more than I need but at the Amazon price I decided to pull the trigger. I'll probably get more use out of it than I anticipate.

5. That price is too good. I am off right now to order the Jet. FWIW, like the song says, the wheels on the bus go round and round.....
    I am sure the Tormek is awesome.... but its a sharpener..I have seen the fit and finish on the Jet and personally cannot justify the Tormek cost.
    Last edited by Michael Hammers; 11-21-2007 at 1:04 PM.
    "Simplicity is at the heart of so much that is fine"
    James Krenov

Too good a deal not to give it a try! Thanks for the heads-up on pricing, will be here Monday...Prime rocks!

Kelly,

Amen that Amazon Prime rocks. It's the best 75 bucks I've ever spent. I live, not in the boonies (my wife would disagree with that as far as shopping goes), but in a town of 45k and if HD or Lowes doesn't carry it I'm screwed. Getting everything I order, even if it is a 4.95 item, 2nd day for free is awesome.

I recently needed to upgrade my cordless tools and found the Milwaukee V28 4 tool set on amazon for 528 (cheapest I could find it locally was 695). An extra 3.99 and I had it next day so I could use it on my weekend project.

A lot of people don't realize it but you can sign up three additional "relatives" on your Prime account so they get the same shipping deal.

Uncle Chuck - is that you???

Sign me up!!

I was just about to purchase this item from a store 30 miles away for $299. plus tax. WOW
    what a difference $167. no tax free shipping.
    Gotta love amazon, but the local guys gotta be hurtin.
    Thanks for the heads up

So what is the winner?

Both great prices...but on a price/value basis, which is the better value? Bang for buck? In your opinions? Thanks
    Jerry

I also ordered one and its due to arrive today

I could not take it any longer. I have wanted a wet sharpener for a while but did not want to spend the money. I purchased the diamond dresser and 3 other jigs plus all other discounts including appling for a the credit card and now I am in it for $230.

I went to one of the local stores today and messed a bit with both the Tormek and the Jet. For what we got the Jet for there is no way I would not buy it. By the way this ended up being my X-Mas present according the the wonderful wife. She is such a wonderful woman to put up with the likes of me.

All I have to say is this was one smoking deal.

Good Luck

Alan

Are attachments interchangeable between ALL the sharpeners; Scheppach, Tormek, and Jet.

I'd like to know from anyone with the Jet knife jigs. What is the shortest knife that the larger Jet knife jig can sharpen?
    Last edited by Grant Vanbokklen; 11-22-2007 at 12:34 AM. Reason: question about knife jig

Just received my Jet Sharpener (stand included which I wasn't aware of)and sharpened a couple chisels to a razor edge !!! Everthing is true and could not find a single quality issue or fault as of yet. This truly is a tremendous buy from Amazon.
    Last edited by Chris Zenda; 11-21-2007 at 8:13 PM. Reason: spelling

OK...pulled the trigger on the Jet over the Scheppach.

Why? Larger wheel, accepts T-brand planer jig, stone grader, drawer base.
    And because the majority here seem to be going with the Jet.

(curious those of you who said here they could not pass "it" up, which one you went with).

And of course $230 less than a T.

Thanks everyone for the input.

And thanks Chuck for mentioning the "Tom Hintz review" which I Googled.
    Last edited by Grant Vanbokklen; 11-22-2007 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Tom Hintz review