Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly 1023 question

Grizzly 1023 question

Hello All.

My first post here. Looked around a bit and hopefully ya'll can help a bit

I am perched on the moment of ordering a Grizzly 1023SL for my basement tinkering. Spent the last several years using a 1960s Rockwell cabinet saw I fixed up. It had another arbor related issue, and I think I am ready to upgrade a bit.

I really have two questions, if anyone can help out....

1. Any comments on that particular saw?

2. I have a 50" Beismeyer fence, and was wondering if the Shop Fox that comes with the Grizzly would work with the Beis rail system? The stock fence appears to be a bit smaller on the saw I was ordering.

Well, I thank you for the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    Hello All.

I really have two questions, if anyone can help out....

1. Any comments on that particular saw?

2. I have a 50" Beismeyer fence, and was wondering if the Shop Fox that comes with the Grizzly would work with the Beis rail system? The stock fence appears to be a bit smaller on the saw I was ordering.
    Hi Lee...welcome to SMC!

1. The 1023SL is popular and a well proven value here and on many forums around the web...current price is excellent IMO.

2. The two fences are interchangeable AFAIK. The stock rails on the 1023SL only give 26" rip capacity.

Enjoy your new saw!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks.

Its coming at a good time, I am currently restructuring my basment "shop" area and might as well include a new centerpiece.

I've got a 1023SL, upgraded from a Delta contractors saw, and am extremely happy with it. After all it's really a Unisaw in disguise...at least to some extent, design-wise. I bought a Bies anti-kickback spreader and it fit on without any modification. The fence works well as far as I'm concerned and although thought about a Bies at the beginning after using the stock fence, have long ago stopped thinking about a Bies.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    I've got a 1023SL, upgraded from a Delta contractors saw, and am extremely happy with it. After all it's really a Unisaw in disguise...at least to some extent, design-wise. I bought a Bies anti-kickback spreader and it fit on without any modification. The fence works well as far as I'm concerned and although thought about a Bies at the beginning after using the stock fence, have long ago stopped thinking about a Bies.
    i liked the fence portion of the shop fox with the T tracks. i figure i could use my existing rails to extend my rip capacity.

my wifey gave me the rolling eyes ( which i naturally took as a sign of approval )

Great saw and the Bies is a good upgrade and will work fine. You may need to drill a hole or two but no bid deal.

I love my 1023
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I love my 1023 to. The only thing I did to modify it was to change the 4" dust port over to a 6", works a lot better on dust pickup. Jack

Another happy 1023 owner here

I bought a used 1023L and I am happy with it. I upgraded splitter and guard with Shark guard. Now I am very happy.

Welcome, I am new here also, great place. I have never heard any bad comments on the 1023. I have never used one but I have seen one in person and it was a great looking saw, and as Scott said great price. Is that 1960's Rockwell cabinet saw you have a Unisaw. If so lot's of folks looking for those saws.

When you raise and lower the saw blade on a 1023, does the blade stay in the same plane?

Excellent saw--I'm very happy with mine. Replaced splitter with a Bies one and added an overarm guard (Excallibur). Nice review of the saw here.

Not sure I know the answer to Bill's question, but I'll try to check over next few days with a dial indicator.

What Sue Said!

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Wise View Post
    I bought a used 1023L and I am happy with it. I upgraded splitter and guard with Shark guard. Now I am very happy.
    The 1023 with a shark guard is fantastic! Money well spent..

Best of Luck
    Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pyles View Post
    Welcome, I am new here also, great place. I have never heard any bad comments on the 1023. I have never used one but I have seen one in person and it was a great looking saw, and as Scott said great price. Is that 1960's Rockwell cabinet saw you have a Unisaw. If so lot's of folks looking for those saws.
    Thanks for all the great replies.

My old saw is ( to the best of my research ) is a 34-425 contractors hangin motor type. It was a proverbial rusty boat anchor that someone set out by the road. 3 months of first-time cleaning up yielded a pretty darn good saw. I had something shear off last weekend, its arbor related I am sure .. but I would like to tear it down again and see if I can fix it up. one more time. I dont know if I ever would sell it, but I would like some other stationaries .....

Thanks again.