Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wenge platform bed

Thumbs up

WOW, Mark....beautiful, clean, elegant simple lines with attention to detail on the joints and structural integrity! Nice design and craftsmanship!

In the photo, to the right of the bed there is glass there, isn't there?

And by the way......we should celebrate those differences! It's what makes this world interesting!

Very nice. I am going to talk to you when I replace my staircase.

Mark, you simply never fail to amaze me! Every piece of yours, which I've seen, just appears so timeless and purposeful, yet very unique. As others have said, your mixture of media is so well balanced that it just seems like it *has* to be that way and no other way would work! I think the most extraordinary thing about it is, you don't just envision it. You design it, fit it to suit and THEN, you go and build the things yourself on top of it all! Sheeeeesh.... Sure you couldn't send some of that talent up here to the frozen North? I'd be happy with just a smidgen of it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John,
    Will you be my Valentine?
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

LOL! Mark, me thinks LOML would be just a tad bit upset about that! Seriously, I'd love to be able to pull off even a fraction of the design and execution, which you always seem to come up with. BUT, I *will* keep practicing and *will* keep screwing up and *will* keep learning! But, *YOU* will need to keep posting your fine examples for ideas and inspiration! Deal?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John,
    I asked LOML and she would not go for the Valantine thing either....they are a bit funny that way She likes the bed and occasionally we test it out a bit if you know what I mean
    Maybe next year...
    Seriously I really appreciate your comments! I can not tell you how simple this project was...it was a matter of careful design and planning and the individual pieces were very easy.
    I cut the bridal joints by hand and the long cuts on the bandsaw...I made a sample joint first. The venneering I used the old wax paper method...apply contact cement to both sides ...let it dry ...place wax paper over the lower sheet (MDF) and pull the wax paper piece by piece.
    I hope someone is paying attention ...I haven't seen that method in any books....Then when you run the sheets through the tablesaw. the veneer edge is perfect. At the end you just assemble the components.

Beautiful work Mark! I like the view as well. I had aspirations to be an architect, but never had the location for a good school or the cash to get to one. I sure do enjoy what I do now though and wouldn't trade it. I do still do some drafting from time to time.

I like the bed frame...are the feet brushed aluminum?

Kelly,
    Thank you! The legs I designed and are made from stainless steel by the master, Frank Smart...don't tell him I called him master...it goes to his head and he raises prices and works even slower! I designed the legs so the wenge frame would appear to "float", hence the "gap"

Mark,

Very nice design. Thanks for posting these pictures. Have I mentioned the new shop layout is GREAT! Thanks again. Love the bandsaw too!

Adan,
    Have you tried re-sawing?

Great work as always, Mark.

My only complaint is that the pics aren't big enough!

What is the head/side board made of?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris ,
    I will make it simple by add some new pics soon ...not simpler
    Mark

Beautiful work and design!!! How does it feel to be that far up the craftmanship food chain WOW!! perhaps in a couple of decades I can get there

-Michael
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Michael,
    Thank you...it is really not that difficult of a project...veneering ro solid wood takes some planning..the joinery is easy....I think a careful design is the most important single element .

Chris,
    Here are a few more pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 02-18-2004 at 8:59 PM.