Thread: Freud SD606 Dial A Width - Big Problem?

Freud SD606 Dial A Width - Big Problem?

Ok, maybe I am missing something. I kept hearing about no need for a 8" plus dado stack so I bought the 6" SD606. So I am looking at this thing and the dial is only about 1" less than the blades outer diameter. Take away ZCI thickness and this thing will hardly get through ZCI before the dial is going to hit ZCI. What am I missing here? How could anyone use this blade with any form of insert?

All stock photos, even the one on Amazon, shows the SD608.

So assuming this set is as pointless as I think that it is, what should I go for? SD608, Dado King or Ridge Carbide Dado?

Something sounds really wrong. Can you post some pictures here of your set? I have the SD608 and think that it is great but have never seen the 606 in person. I'll bet Sir Freud is off for the holliday so he may not show up here for a while. Maybe we can figure it out.

More information: I just went out and measured the adjustable hub on my 608 and the diameter measures 3 1/2". Assuming that the 606 uses the same hub that would leave you with blades that a 2 1/2" larger than the hub which would only leave 1 1/4" of blade width outside of the hub. Assuming that you were going through a 3/4" insert you could only cut 1/2" deep. I never thought about that. You might not be able to use a zero clearance sometimes. The 608 would let you make a zero clearance insert cut to a depth of 1 1/2".
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 11-21-2007 at 11:01 PM.

It is the same hub. Even if someone didn't use a ZCI it would seem that an open throat plate would seem to get in the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, I have a General 650 saw and the maximum arbour elevation is 1 7/8 inches below the table surface.

With a standard 6 inch dado cutter, I would have a maximum depth of cut of 1 1/8 inches. (3 - 1 7/8)

The 3 1/2 inch hub on the adjustable dado would remain below the table (1 7/8 > 1 3/4), however this would only leave 1/8 for the thickness of the table insert.

If I relieved the insert in the hub area to 1/8 I would be able to use the dado to almost 1 1/8 cut depth.

I haven't used a 6 inch dado, I have an 8 inch stacked dado which of course doesn't have the hub issue. Perhaps you could exchange your 6 inch unit for an 8 inch unit?

Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 11-22-2007 at 8:49 AM.

It's sounding to me that for this particular set, the 8" might be the better choice due to the size of the adjustment hub. Outside of that, I could likely live perfectly well with just a 6" dado set relative to depth of cut. But I use an 8" set...higher tip speed gives a cleaner cut.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the same dado and have the same complaint. I had the whittle my throat plated down to paper thin to get depth out of the dado. And its still not enough.
    I complained to Freud (Charles) that the maximum depth should be advertised but I doubt they did anything.
    If I had of known I would have bought the 8".
    I now have a bad impression of Freud and will not be so likely to buy their products.

let me know if your going to get rid of it mate

Blog Entries
    I had seen some folks opinion that an 8" is not needed and I suppose it is a matter of what you do. The dado you show does not look real useful to me, but that's because I look at it based on what I do.

I use a dado when I need a deep or wide cut and want to do it in fewer passes. For shallow stuff, I've always used a router. I have the SD508 and am quite happy with it but again; it works well for how I use it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jeffrey and Carl,

With the dado insert supplied by the saw's manufacturer (or at least every one I am familiar with), the SD606 should cut the same depth as other 6" dado sets. The Hub is 92mm (3-5/8") and the dado diameter is 155mm (a little over 6"). The use of a ZCI with the Dial-A-Width Dado seems counterintuitive to me.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McCracken View Post
    Jeffrey and Carl,

The use of a ZCI with the Dial-A-Width Dado seems counterintuitive to me.
    Why is that? I am upgrading to the 8" Dial-A-Width. Is it going to be a problem as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Schronce View Post
    Why is that? I am upgrading to the 8" Dial-A-Width. Is it going to be a problem as well?
    A zero clearance insert is counterintuitive because you would need one for EVERY width and depth of dado you make in order for it to provide any potential benefit. And since the tooth geometry of the SD600 series dado sets will cut without chipping, a ZCI is not necessary. Factory supplied dado inserts are all that is required and should have clearance to allow for the hub to adjust up to max height.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

FYI, The old Craftsman wobbler that I had for years had a 1/4" deeper cut. Doesn't sound like much but sometimes it just enough to make the cut.