Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What I love about handtools

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cole View Post
    #1) the silky smooth finish left from a Neandered surface.
    Odd, I could have sworn I wrote a reply to this...

I love that finish too. I hate sanding and sanding dust and will go to great lengths to avoid it. One thing about hand-tooled surface is that it feels different. It's made by hand! It's disgusting that the judge of perfection in the building of something in our culture is how well it resembles something that came from a plastics factory. I say leave in the tactile indications that it's a hand-made surface. Those supposed imperfections are actually higher on the scale of aesthetics to me.

beer (sorry not a wine or whiney guy )
    I'm normally a beer guy too. I make my own. I am just out at the moment.

#3) Once you truly learn sharpening, you'll like your handtools ALOT more.
    Boy that's the truth! Poorly sharpened hand tools are just bad hammers. Until you learn to sharpen, it's no fun using them. It's sad that we've got 2 generations in the world now that think a hand plane is some hard to use poor hunk of metal that old timers used. How did they get anything built back then?? What slays me is people who put perfectly excellent hand tools on that auction site and label them 'primitive'. Get outta town! If they'd ever used a properly sharpened one they'd know the truth.

Okay it's probably bad form to bump your own thread but this is what I did tonight while the chair is fuming and I have nothing to work on but cleaning the shop. All mortise and tenon, quartersawn oak. No finish on it yet but it's up.

Marcus,
    Bout time for a nice hearty winter brew wouldn't ya say? A coworker is home brew guy... nice friend to have. His Irish Red in the late winter is something I barter WW skills for a few growlers of, and at 7% if ya drink a growler of it, ya won't wanna still be in the shop, DAMKHIT.

In regards to sharpening, when I got a granite reference plate from a machinist friend & ditched the glass glued to plywood.... it was like magic!

Nice saw till there, that's one Neader slope of hand saws I've yet to slide on.. but it's on the horizon... just a ways out.

Can't wait to see the chair all done!

Greg

Yeah I've got a nice malty porter and a irish stout on deck waiting to brew but I'm out of base malt so I need to get some before I can do those.

I'm thinking a granite plate is in my future. I've broken all my glass repeatedly, the only thing holding together the sheets I have now is the sandpaper and glue.

Funny thing is, I'm not much of a handsaw user execpt for joinery. I rarely crosscut anything of size and never rip. I just like saws. For dovetails and M&T construction though they're excellent. The old disston tenon saw I picked up for a song is amazing.

If you're ever in the area let me know and you can sample the brew.

Hey Marcus,
    Just noticed you live here in Missery too..... I don't make it to that neck of the woods toooo often. But I'd like to put my eyes on that chair when it's done... I've been daydreaming about building one of those and the macthing "setee" or couch.

Cheers and get pics up of that fumed QSWO.

Greg

Dang Marcus!!

I am jealous. You actually make a living riding bikes?

I love that Photo!

I am actually in the process of selling powered tools so I can buy more quality hand tools. The more I learn about them the more I love it.

Beer, wine, hand tools and a good women in the shop. What could be better?

Andy

Wow I just realized I haven't updated my profile since I first joined in 2005. The professional mountain biker was a joke between my wife and I. I was unemployed or not steadily employed for 2 years and during that time raced a LOT and the joke was that I was a professional mountain biker employed by my wife. Unfortunately, I don't make a living riding bikes. I'm an IT guy these days. Sorry about that.

Greg - which part of the show-me state are you in?

Marcus,
    I live in KC not far from MCI airport.... I've had a couple chances to do a lumber run down 'that way' just never got the ambition to sit in the truck... I used to get a lot of windshield & airline seat time from the day job.
    Where did you get the QSWO? I've been looking for a local source and can't seem to find any.... if you don't mind sharing that is (PM if you don't want to post). Some guys are as secretive about lumber sources as they are good hunting & fishing spots...
    I am supposed to be picking up 100 BF of some walnut from a Craigs List ad here in KC (Independance). The pics look to have some nice subtle curl.... and the guy is supposed to have 300+ BF, if you're into walnut it's @ $3 a BF IIRC.

Cheers,
    Greg

Okay, an update. Here's what fumed QSO looks like. Shellac'd. Twice. With wax. Glad it's finally finished.