Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jointer Setup and Tolerances I Need Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Henry View Post
    True...it's not metal...I guess I am being type A...but I would like to know that I am getting the best result possible out of my machine.
    Tom, if that's the route you choose i suggest you loosen up both the infeed and outfeed sides and try to find some middle ground where both sides will still have some adjustment in both directions.

If that's not working, try loosing the main mounting bolts that connect the jointer to the base and put some shim stock under opposite corners and tighten it back up. What you'll be doing is forcing the casting to warp a bit in order to compensate for the lack of adjustment in the ways. Be sure to use an equal amount of shim on each end. I'd start with .002" - .003" and see where that gets you. A little bit goes a long way. Once the beds are right, then set the knives to the outfeed table.

Good luck

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

It's been my experience that the out feed table and its relationship to the knives is the place to put your energy.

When you are jointing for square you register of the Fence - AND - the out-feed table

When you are jointing for a flat face you are registering off the out-feed table.

There is no time - that little ol' moi can think of - that the in-feed table establishes a critical relationship to anything other than depth of cut.

That's it. So long as the in-feed table is purdy near, sort of, kind of, maybe, in a marginally sort of uncommitted way co-planar to the out-feed I am happy.

The reason I make this heretical assertion is that the stock is picked up on the out-feed AFTER the knives have done their magic and you then register the work off the freshly cut surface. All of a sudden the in-feed table will be nothing but trouble if you are pushing the stock down firmly against it - - because all the irregularities in the stock are on the in-feed side. And you really want to stock to be reflective of the out-feed side.

So All I do about that in-feed table is to run my indicator around the in-feed table (a few lousy inches) while keeping the indicator base firmly on the out-feed table and if it looks pretty good then I'm happy.

However, the blades don't want to be above the out-feed table by more than half-a-thou. and not beneath it at all.
    And the blades all have to be parallel to each other by no less than the same.

Others whom I know will tolerate more run out than I, and they seem to manage to stumble through their lives producing gorgeous & precise woodwork so maybe I'm overly fussy.

This is where I am going to disagree. If you are jointing a face of a board and the infeed table is not co-planer with the outfeed table your board is not going to be flat. Am I wrong??? This is what I read in a few articles...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Henry View Post
    This is where I am going to disagree. If you are jointing a face of a board and the infeed table is not co-planer with the outfeed table your board is not going to be flat. Am I wrong??? This is what I read in a few articles...
    No you are not wrong. The statement however is not 100% correct. The infeed table can't be really out of whack, or it willl become more difficult to establish the proper relationship between the cutterhead and the outfeed table.
    On a face joint operation the infeed table sets up and establishes the "first cut" or reference because no material has yet passed onto the outfeed table as of yet.
    Once that material passes onto the outfeed table the pressure is changed. Downward force is applied to the board on the outfeed table,and any downward force on the material on the infeed table needs to be released. You apply enough pressure to keep control though, but the board needs to "float" on the infeed table and pass over the cutterhead.
    The closer your jointer beds are to being coplaner, the easier it is to establish this initial relationship.
    Somtimes a board will have a slight twist to it causing a rocking motion,and the infeed table can be an aid until there is enough material registered on the outfeed table to proceed as normal.

I get mine as close as I can with out machining, my knife's are with in a .001 and the beds are close to the same, I do have about .003 difference in front to back outfeed table height, and I'll correct that to with in .001 this winter, personally I'll spend better part of a day making sure the jointer, planer and Tablesaw are as close as I can get.
    But I enjoy making things right.

Some figure if the tool doesn't fall over its close enough, some drag pieces over to the mill, ya just gotta figure where between the two your most comfortable, after all your the one using it.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    I get mine as close as I can with out machining, my knife's are with in a .001 and the beds are close to the same, I do have about .003 difference in front to back outfeed table height, and I'll correct that to with in .001 this winter, personally I'll spend better part of a day making sure the jointer, planer and Tablesaw are as close as I can get.
    But I enjoy making things right.

Some figure if the tool doesn't fall over its close enough, some drag pieces over to the mill, ya just gotta figure where between the two your most comfortable, after all your the one using it.

Al
    I just messed with it again and it is about .002/.003 in now. I had to shim the outfeed table a good bit but it is now in I am going to joint some boards and see what I get.

I also think these things have a bit of fine tunning to how you use them, sometimes what works for one won't for someone else.

Like the old timers say, give it a shot and see what happens..

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.