Thread: Bandsaw Dust Collection

Bandsaw Dust Collection

I am going to get a new Rikon 10-325 bandsaw here sometime, and I have a cyclone DC system in place. I have started a 6" run over to where the bandsaw will be located.

The DC port on the saw is 4"--is 4" typically sufficient to collect the dust?

Should I worry about setting up anything above the BS table to collect dust, or does the majority of the dust go through the table and down by the bottom tire? It seems like if I am doing resawing or something like that, the above-table line wouldn't get any of the dust because of the stock in the way.

How have you all set up the DC on your bandsaws?

My Mini Max E16 has one 4" port below the lower guides. Even though it is basically open for about 4" from the table to the pick up chamber, I see little dust that goes anywhere else. I have a 6-6-4 wye that runs the BS, and it seems to do surprisingly well. I thought I'd need to set up something below the table, but so far, I see no need to do so. I'd hook the factory port up and play with it...if it isn't all you need, then you can play with something else. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Depends on how thick you are cutting. The DC will get everything below the table, but if you have any thickness a lot will end up above the table, and the DC can't be expected to get that. Fortunately most dust from a BS settles around the table instead of being hurled into the air like a TS, so it is not a big deal.

I have a 4 inch port on the back of my 18 inch Jet. Jet also incorporated a nice chute that catches most of sawdust and directs it to the port for removal. My saw came with a brush that scrubs the bottom tire as it rotates so that the traditional buildup doesn't occur either.

4 inch collection tubes are standard for the majority of the systems however the size is controlled by the systems CFM rating for adequate air flow.

Thanks for the input, everyone! I believe that my cyclone will clear out the bottom tire area with the four inch port if it works for others. I'm not really sure about what to do for the table area, though. Leave it be? Set up something with magnets and a small hood? It seems like with that strategy I'd have issues with the fence getting in the way.

If you feel you need to have something above the table, make it magnetic so you can easily move it around. Or make an arm from above so you can position it where you want it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

My MM16 has a 4" dustport, but from the inside only about half of that is actually open, due to the design of the the saw. It still does the job pretty well. There was a recent post on one the forums, I think it was here, about folks who were connecting thier hose right to the bottom of the table, and having good luck with that. I think that was in relation to Jet 14" saws. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the top of the table, as someone else pointed out, that dust is not spewed into the air like it would be on a table saw, and is easily cleaned up.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome