Thread: Cutting Scheme for Driftwood Plank

Cutting Scheme for Driftwood Plank

I have an ocean-driftwood plank which I'd like to make into a picture frame.

The wood can be ripped, crosscut, mitered, and/or resawn, or any combination of these cuts.

What are best cutting/joining strategies to end up with the least sawn surface revealed and the maximum weathered surface showing?

A secondary objective is to maximize frame size.

I'm not sure how those questions can be addressed without seeing said plank...can you provide a picture?? Dimensions?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In order to show only the naturally aged driftwood, you won't be able to rout any part of the exposed front of the frame. However, you can create a frame within a frame, to give the profile some depth, and preserve the natural look. You can even create three profiles that fit together--something like the attached drawing. You will have to design around the thickness and width of your plank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jim,

Well, actually I have more than one plank, but I was thinking there might be a geometry-based scheme to maximize the weathered surface-area in view when applied to any plank. Since I didn't take geometry in highschool, these kinds of problems usually turn into trial-and-error for me, which could plow through lot of wood in "error" modes.

As to planks, I have some 2x6, 2x8 and 1x4 (nominal) of various lengths from 3 feet to 8 feet. Most are cedar or fir, with one or two 4' former pallet slats of low-grade oak.

I could take, and post, some pictures of the various planks, but I'm really hoping for a "theory" of cutting with general application to any rectangular box (plank). Like the folks who make veneers, I want all the "eye candy" I can get out of my unique woods.