Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone made spatulas?

Anyone made spatulas?

Has anyone made spatulas on the lathe. I turned a piece of 3/4 thick maple. I'm pleased with the handle but now I have to flatten the working end into a taper. I'm thinking I'll go to my buddy's house and use his belt sander.
    How do you do it?
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I've made quite a few. They're pretty fun to make. I cut the spatulation end with a bandsaw and then refine it on a belt sander. The ones in these pics have short handles. Longer handles keep you from burning you hands.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...9&d=1140996005

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...1&d=1141787442

I'm kind of afraid to use the bandsaw since it may be hard to reference a flat surface for the cutting.
    Have you had that problem.
    I see myself making a bunch more of these.

It's not bad using the bandsaw. I turn the handle first and leave the spatula with square edges. Then just stand it on edge and cut it with the saw. I just get close to the shape I want and then fine tune it with the belt sander and then an orbital sander.

John,
    I cut a wedge shape hunk of wood to turn spatulas from so the finishing is easier. Try to get 3/4" square at one end and 1/4" thick by desired width at the other end, lenght to suit.
    The square end gets the handle and the profile is turned on the blade. The to a sander, since my bandsaw is out of commision.
    Rich s.

That is my mistake since I tapered the top of the spatula and wanted to have the edge rounded so I rounded the outside edges.
    I'll have to do some experimenting.
    I'm glad I have lots of scraps.

Spatulas

Like Curt, I turn the handle, thin the blade with the band saw and finish
    the shape with my belt sander. I've made lots of these and they sell well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are super nice Phil. What did you use for a finish? I like walnut oil for kitchen implements.
    I'll have to post a pic of mine.

Curt and others who make spatulas, I was wonder what kind of wood is recommended for these.
    John

Spatulas

I use mostly Cherry and White Ash. Then there are always a few odd ones.
    Like Plum, Walnut and Pear. The finishes I use most often are Walnut oil or
    mineral oil. They're easy to apply and food safe.

Thanks Phil,
    I have a couple pieces of cherry that I might be willing to make a test on and see if I can do these things!
    John

They all seem awfully "straight" from the pictures. How would it be if you start with a fairly thick blank and offset one end to near the edge of the blank and turned the handle on the other end? Or vice-versa. After handle is turned, then do bandsawing, sanding, etc. Just a thought. Gotta try this on a 2x4 tomorrow.

The ones I have done were loosely based on a picture in one of Raffan's books of what he called "wok stirrers". I mounted a piece between centers and turned a handle on each end and then cut the middle section on the band saw to form two curved blades that overlap and nest like 69. The final shaping and smoothing was done on a stationary belt sander.

I believe I have used cherry, maple and ash so far to make them.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hamilton View Post
    The ones I have done were loosely based on a picture in one of Raffan's books of what he called "wok stirrers". I mounted a piece between centers and turned a handle on each end and then cut the middle section on the band saw to form two curved blades that overlap and nest like 69. The final shaping and smoothing was done on a stationary belt sander.

I believe I have used cherry, maple and ash so far to make them.

Bob
    I remember those well! Those were the spatulas that inspired me to make some of my own. But I didn't realize you use the process to make two at once. That's a great idea and saves on wood too.

Oh, great, folks. Now you've got me considering kitchen implements as well as woodturning. Now I'm going to have to find some wood, get a bandsaw, turn the blanks, an convince Chef Ramsey that I can't do without my own custom-made implements in his kitchen.
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III