Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New tool cabinet now relocated to den (pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Thom View Post
    If it's going to be relegated to the house, to my eye it could benefit from a nice set of bracket feet. That would dress it up a lot and not look out of place with the nice simple lines.
    Rick, I agree. As I was building it, I considered that but then I thought "Oh its only for the shop". I also left off moldings I would normally rout and add to dress the top and bottom. Didn't install any bottom base/trim board either. You're right but it was supposed to be "only for the shop"...Thanks
    Jerry

Thanks and follow up

Thanks to all for your kind compliments... Most of you seem to also understand how most of us have a shop foreman (usually unseen) who shows up at critical decision points and alters our plans as happened here. But I'll renew her contract anyway.

But Ken, I'll try to answer your question...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shoemaker View Post
    Jerry how did you finish it.... I want to work with cherry and I WANT IT TO LOOK JUST LIKE THAT!!!!!
    Ken,I sand to 220, clean and apply heavy coat of BLO. Let soak 30 mins and with rag, dry off excess. Then let it dry thoroughly (a week). Then, I brush on a coat of 2lb dewaxed garnet shellac followed by several padded on coats of shellac/DA mixture. This insures an even coat and allows you to control the sheen. Then it can be topcoated with your choice of varnish, etc if needed. On this piece I did not add another topcoat. HTH.
    Jerry

Jerry, that's a beautiful piece of furniture. Your craftsmanship is superb. It seems to me that "she" needs to spring for some wood for new shop furniture. I'm with Jim on this one. A new purpleheart and maple (tiger maple wood look fantastic) workbench sounds great to me.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

New strategy

I decided this morning, I'm going to have to now build another (more BASIC) tool cabinet for the shop..Have to intentionally make it look bad...Usually easy for me.
    Jerry

very nice

Well done Jerry , I would like to see the pics while in was being done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Have to intentionally make it look bad...Usually easy for me.
    Now you're on to something. Maybe some 'outhouse' moon cutouts on the drawer fronts would help keep it in the shop .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nice cabinet! Sounds to me like your wife is saying it is okay if you want to use the den as additional shop space.

Women.

Todd

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Nice cabinet! Sounds to me like your wife is saying it is okay if you want to use the den as additional shop space.
    Go for it Jerry, LOL

Nice work!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    ... As I was finishing it, LOML spotted it and announced "that's too good for your shop!"
    Don't you just hate it when they do that! And I suppose that means you can't store your tools in it either! What a bummer! Guess you will just have to buy more tools to make another one

Good job Jerry!

-Don

Quote Originally Posted by Al Sherred View Post
    Well done Jerry , I would like to see the pics while in was being done.
    Thank Al. Being that this was "for the shop" I didn't take any pics of the process underway. But it was the same basic construction I used in the nightstand here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38312
    But I didn't do bracket feet or mouldings or base trim for the shop version. I used solid wood carcass, webframes for drawers with wooden center runners. Drawers were old 1/2 " cherry with through DT's done w the Keller jig. I used face frames and hid 4 old wheels under the frame for mobility. Used pocket screws a lot throughout. Just a box with drawers. Top was simply bullnosed. HTH. Thanks for your interest.
    Jerry

Well, it's good to see you are accomplishing some WW'ing Jerry. It is very nice and it should be in the house. Couldn't you still store your chisels etc., in those, drawers anyway?

That would look VERY nice in my house by the way.

I may have to take a trip down there and see what else you're hiding, before the LOYL sees it and claims it. I still have places for beautiful furniture.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup View Post
    I may have to take a trip down there and see what else you're hiding, before the LOYL sees it and claims it. I still have places for beautiful furniture.

Karl
    Thanks, Karl. You are welcome here anytime (and bring that other cheesehead "Spring" with you) although I don't know if LOML would want to part with any furniture. (even if it is a tool cabinet) .For you, maybe. Hope all is well..
    Jerry

Jerrry, I love it!! Never to nice for the shop!! I have a neighbor that reminds me how nice my tool cabinet is in the shop, says it needs to be in the bedroom instead!! Great looking cabinet!!
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com