Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen Turning Kits: Any Recommendations?

Pen Turning Kits: Any Recommendations?

Greetings Fellow Turners:

Perhaps you all can steer me the correct direction. I'm looking at a pen turning kit from Packard or Craft Supplies. They are priced the same.

Packard has a "Deluxe" kit that includes a drilling jig, pen assembly press, and pen tube insertion kit.

So what do I need to get into this part of turning?

How did you start pen turning?

Any recommendations?

Thanks, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Even after several hundred pens I've never had a use for pen assembly press or tube insertion kit. IMO they're just something to spend more money on. Pens can be assembled with a simple pipe clamp or even a bench vise. As long as you have fine control you'll be good.

I don't even understand the insertion kit. Just pour a few drops of CA into the hole and slide the tube in. Why does this require a special tool?

Just my $.02.
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

Tom, one other thought...

I just glanced at the $70 beginner's kit on Craft. You don't really need all that stuff.

My advice on pens is to find the kits you like (and know are good quality) and buy just the bushings, drill bits, and kits you need from the source for that particular pen. One thing I learned early on is that not all bushings are created equal. 7mm kits are fairly standard but when you get to the other pen types they can get real confusing. One source might use a 15/32" drill bit and bushing (for example) on a cigar-style pen kit where another will use 1/2". Before you know it you are chasing bushings all over the place.

I don't know anything about their "double mandrel" so I can't comment on it. I can say that the Woodcraft "Professional adjustable mandrel" is a nice one. Same with WC's barrel trimmers.

Also, you'll probably experiment with different finishes so why pay for the polish in this particular kit? Ask around and find out what works and buy it seperately.

I guess I'm saying don't waste $70 on a kit.
    Last edited by Neal Addy; 11-24-2007 at 8:22 PM.

Tom,

I posted my two cents in this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34345

At the time, I thought the pen insertion tool was the worse tool I ever bought. A year later I stand by that.

I do use a pen vise. I bought it at a time when I didn't have a bench vise or a pipe clamp. (Don't use a kitchen drawer and your hip! DAMHIKT)

The first thing I ever turned was a pen. I took a one day class at Woodcraft and could hear the vortex in the distance. In the class we used bench vises for assembly not a pen press. We also used a home-made drill press fence/clamp jig not a self-centering pen vise. The turning tool we used was a roughing gouge. We still managed to make pens.

Better to spend your money on kits and tools!
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

Dave, that's a great description of the arsenal, and a good survey on what is needed and what isn't. If you don't mind I may have to bookmark that and link to it sometime.

BTW, I'd love to hear the kitchen drawer story sometime. Sounds like something I would do.

I've used a vice to squeeze the parts together, but I found that a wood clamp with a trigger that you squeeze is the easiest method for assembling a pen. Just my opinion.

try Arziona Silhouette.com

You can use something as simple as a punch for an insertion tool, you probably already have multiple sizes that will match the multiple tube sizes for different kits. I use a clamp for assembly and my drill press with the chuck closed for final fitting something critical like the transmision for a slimline or euro pen. A barrel trimmer is something good to have so the ends are always square. Some people us a disk sander but it's hard to do without some kind of jig to keep the blank square.

pens

Here is my two cents, I was at a woodworkers show and I saw a demo on pen turning and they did not use all those tools to turn and assemble pen. He use a electric hand drill and held the blank with his other hand and drill the hole. Insert the tube with his fingers and CA glue. He assembled the pen with a small bar clamp and the end resaults is the same as with all that fancy stuff. That is the way I started making pens. I did upgrade to a arbor press for assembly and a self centering vise that I use if I have a lot of pens I am drillng at one time.
    Dwight

Tom,
    Watch your step carefully! Pen making is a mighty slippery place......
    Guess the best info to give someone is that the forum at penturners.org is the best source for pen info right now.
    The next best advice someone else gave was for a new pen turner to buy two or three dozen pens of one type and whatever is needed to make that pen. Then turn some. Give some away, hide or destroy the real ugly ones, and after you turn about 2 dozen of the same pens you will have an understanding of most of the problems that that pen can have. Most of us also get bored making that many of the same pen, so you will start making your own changes and developing your style.
    That makes a whole lot of sense, and keeps the cost and equipment needed down. Might suggest either the basic 7mm slim pen, the 7mm European pen, or the cigar pen. Pick the pen that you like the most or that you would like to make the most of the 3 examples, then get 2 or 3 dozen or so. Arizona Silouhette would be my preference vendor, but Wood Pro Pen, Berea Hardwoods, Bear Tooth Woods, Woodturningz, etc would work also. Chrome finish is the cheapest long last finish for pens. (Buy an extra 6 sets or so of the brass tubes for the pens in case you mess some up or want to work ahead.)
    Then get a set of bushings for the pen type you chose, a mandrel with morse taper to fit your lathe, drill bit or 2 to drill the proper holes, some glue to glue the tubes in the blanks, a barrel trimmer with the proper size mandrel, a 5 or 6 piece set of micro mesh for sanding (say 600 thru 1600) and that is probably it.
    The pen blanks can be cut out of nice shop wood or anything you want to use. suggest working with wood for the first dozen or so because the plastic pen blanks take some different techniques.
    Use a drill press or a jacobs chuck in the tailstock to drill the pen blank holes. I still use a wooden screw clamp as a pen press.
    Rich S.

Thanks to all for the complete and detailed info. Once again the depth and breadth of Creeker's knowledge and their willingness to share is amazing.

All the best, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight VanSickle View Post
    He use a electric hand drill and held the blank with his other hand and drill the hole.
    I would advise against this practice as blanks have been known to explode upon drilling, especially small blanks with large drills.

Hi,Tom
    I have made about 3000 pens to date. I use my drill press to assemble , the tip on the glue bottle to insert the tube. I trim the tubes with the DP also. I made a tool to take pens apart from a piece of steel rod.

Good luck, Earl

Do you need a pen press for assembly...no. Can you do it with a clamp..yes. As with most things in woodworking, there are tools to make things easier or faster but you will get the same results. A pen press for assembly makes it easier. But if your just banging out 1 or 2 for fun, you can probably go with a clamp.

I purchased a press mainly because I had screwed up a few pens while using a clamp and I figured the small amount of money on a press was worth it instead of wasting kits or "important" wood. I would put a pen press or things of this nature on a Christmas present list. Its hard for people to get the wrong thing when compared to something like a tool that has multiple types and qualities(turning gouges).

Same thing goes for disassembly tools, and insertion tools..you may have something that works or be able to make it, but it depends on your time to make tools versus money to spend on it. I dont have a insertion tool but I did get a disassembly tool from Santa last year.
    What if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight VanSickle View Post

He use a electric hand drill and held the blank with his other hand and drill the hole.

Dwight
    Holding it in your hand isn't a good idea, as Stan points out, but I have seen people put the blank in a bench vise and use a hand drill. I don't know if I can drill straight enough to do that but I've seen it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Reid View Post
    I use my drill press to assemble , the tip on the glue bottle to insert the tube.
    I 've heard of using the drill press as a press and it makes sense.

Using the pointy tip of the CA bottle to push the tube in is a GREAT idea! Why didn't I think of that?? I usually use a toothpick. That means I have to find a toothpick .

More good ideas to steal!
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.