Thread: "black" finish

"black" finish

I have a client requesting a cherry and "black" dresser. they want to match some thing that is cherry with a black laquered MDF top, but are open to other materials. i was thinking perhaps finishing the cherry to match.

Any thoughts/suggestions on a "black" finish for wood? I am open to any suggestions - I normally don't stain/dye/paint with my hardwood projects.

also - any experiences with mdf and black laquer? I don't have a spray gun or booth.

thanks!

Black lacquer is certainly an option, but it's kinda a spray-thing.

India ink is another option as is leather dye. (shoe dye)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm no fan of MDF, and I'm not fond of stain either. I'd at least try to get the client to upgrade to real wood with an uncolored finish. The dresser won't be an exact match to the MDF/lacquer piece, but that's a good thing.

Truly black woods are rather expensive -- ebony and such. However, there are dark woods which are more affordable. You might try them on walnut. Or maybe even better would be wenge. Either goes well with cherry, and both would look much much better than painted MDF.

Milk Paint is a good option here. It allows the grain to come through (depending on how much you use), and will really darken up good when a clear topcoat is applied.

My first choice is black lacquer. I have used both. Lacquer (for me) is easiest / fastest. The only hassles I've had with black lacquer is my supplier's ability to get it REALLY black - and have no green or blue tint.

Black lacquer over MDF works fine. If your lacquer is not already a self-sealing lacquer, you'll want to start with a sealer. Well, start with a sealer anyway, especially for MDF edges. Search the forum for sealing MDF with lacquer - lots of good info - some of it mine.

Todd
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 11-25-2007 at 9:25 AM.