Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wixey digital fence review (my own)

Thumbs up Wixey digital fence review (my own)

Well I got my Wixey digital fence readout today and got it installed so I thought Id post a little review of what I think about it so far for others who are thinking about this thing.

Overall opinion:

First of all if you're thinking about buying one stop thinking and buy it already! This thing is great! Does exactly what its supposed to do the way its supposed to do it. No complaints there.

Manual/Instructions:

A little vague here and there, could have better detail pictures but theres enough information there to get the thing installed. It took me about an hour I guess from start to finish for installation.

Fit/Finish:

The actual gauge itself is made well it seems, easy to see and the buttons are laid out logically I think. I do wish the buttons themselves were a tad bigger or spaced out more. I keep hitting two at a time. The aluminum extrusions that mount to your fence were of good quality and required some light filing here and there to get the two in perfect alignment.

Supplied hardware:

HORRIBLE!! This is my only complaint with the entire system. They give you cheap metric junk screws to mount it with. They supply a drill bit in which you are to drill four holes then use the supplied "self tapping screws" to mount the track to your fence. I couldnt even begin to get these things to start to make a thread. I finally got out my tap and make a threaded hole for a 1/4-20 bolt and used my own. This was easier for me.

All in all I love it and can see myself using it everytime I use the saw. I think all new saws should have a similar system and can see a day when they do. If you want one you may be able to catch the sale it Woodcraft, I got mine for $99 they threw in a free angle gauge (which also works very well) and gave me free shipping. I just ordered it Thursday and got it this morning.

Very satisfied.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. I was thinking about getting one of those gauges and your review will definitely help me with my decision.

Yep, everything Jim said to the T. I don't have to do test cuts now, measure digitally, cut digitally and it is right every time, saves time and money and material. The only issue I have with it is that the on/off switch and the zero switch are one in the same, only requiring a longer press to zero the instrument and then it needs a new setup, which does not take long but is a pain in the middle of a job. I have done the zero bit when not thinking and meaning to just turn it off. I have nothing but praise for this instrument, it makes life easy.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Smile Wixey Digital Fence

Also have this and mounted on a Delta contractors saw. Easy install but lacking in directions. Also had problem with self tapping bolts. Actually broke one off but was able to remove with vice grips. Redrilled and tapped for 1/4-20 hex bolts. Sent Wixey a photo of my unifence and they responded with my photo with mounting bracket drawn in to show options for installing it. Very prompt response. I also have the angle gage and it is great-used it for all my tool setups.

When using power tools at no time should fingers leave the hands!!

Another satisfied customer

I ordered one from Woodcraft on Friday AM and got it Saturday PM witrh free shipping. I hooked it up to a Delta Industrial saw with a Delta T2 fence. I agree that the instructions were lame, but it went together easily. no drilling required, I just used the fence tube screws. I calibrated it, but haven't really tried it out yet.
    Gary

Mine is now home and ready for Christmas wrapping paper; SWMBO says I must wait .

Yeah mine tried to pull that trick on me too Chris. However mine is now installed! har har. Who da man? I da man! LOL

Agreed

I have to agree with Jim, this thing is great, very easy to use. One thing I did find is that I loosed the screws in the back a little too much. If it wiggles on the track too much and pulls away from the strip a bit, it goes a bit crazy. One I tightened it up, it was fine.

I just finished cutting some drawer parts and the Wixey made it so much easier. For example when I went to fit the backs on the drawers I just took my digital calipers and measured from the bottom dado to the top of the drawer side, then simply matched that reading to the Wixey and made the cuts. I cut the parts to all five drawers and never had to touch my measuring rule or a tape! Very cool indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barnett View Post
    Mine is now home and ready for Christmas wrapping paper; SWMBO says I must wait .
    Man that's cruel. How's she expect you to get it installed in time and slice up the Christmas ham with digital precision?

Ordered mine the other night but it's probably not shipping until tomorrow.
    Use the fence Luke

You guys need to put your foot down and tell her who the boss i........(WHACK).......................OUCH I just got slapped in the back of my head by LOML!! Im busted again.............LOL

Jim!

Thanks for the review. I have a Jet cabinet saw with the micro adjust fence. Would it be possible to use the Wixey on such a fence? Also does the track interfere with reaching the hand wheel on front of the saw?

go ahead and install it. just wrap the box.

is she really going to know?

LOL

dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Jim!

Thanks for the review. I have a Jet cabinet saw with the micro adjust fence. Would it be possible to use the Wixey on such a fence? Also does the track interfere with reaching the hand wheel on front of the saw?
    You can shoot an email to Mr Wixey via his website just to make sure but I think it can be adapted to just about any saw/fence combo.

The track doesnt interfere with any handwheels.

jim, i bought a digifence last year and i totally agree with you: it's the only way to go! the greatest part about the digital fence systems is that you can cut a piece to the same width EVERY time without worrying about being off by 1/32".