Thread: Dont shoot me.. BS comparison request

Question Dont shoot me.. BS comparison request

I know bandsaw comparisons are numerous, so I apologize for making yet one more.

I am on the verge of purchasing the Jet JWBS-18X-3 3HP 18”. I was also looking at the Grizzly G0514X2 19” with the geared table tilt mechanism.

Some reviews on the Jet BS’s arent so great, however I see they have fixed some of the problems (cast wheels and not aluminum for one).

I have no experience with Grizzly. I know it’s a favorite with many.

If you have a working knowledge of the quality between these two I’d appreciate hearing it.

Price delivered on the Grizzly is $1389. Purchasing the Jet at my local Woodcraft would total $1441.59 after tax.

But there is a $100 Jet mail in rebate right now, and Woodcraft will give a store certificate of 7.5% of the purchase… which is another $102. I guess you could look at the Jet purchase as out of pocket $1239.59

So Jet is a better deal right now on cost.

I’d like to hear any input that would secure this as a good purchase, or steer me away towards the Grizzly. I have a Jet midi lathe and like it. Haven’t used their bandsaws. So I guess I am concerned with making a bad choice if these aren't up to snuff.

I am at my very upper limit on expense. I know there are some top quality machines for a lot more money, but such is the life of poor folks.

Again I do appologize for another BS comparison request. Woodcraft certificate offer ends soon so if I take that route I guess I’ll need to make a decision. If not then I have plenty of time to pick up the Grizzly.
    One good turn deserves another

Rick.

The $150.00 saved on the JET would purchase a few high quality bandsaw blades. Pretty important part of the equation to consider.

I have the new Jet version of the saw that you just got, but the 1.75hp 110v version, have changed the belt to a link belt and changed the blade.

The guides on the new Jet saw are nice. If you're comparing the iron trunnion jet saw to the iron trunnion grizzly saw, the only three real differences that I can think of are the larger table on the grizzly, the rack and pinion table top adjustment on the grizzly and the foot brake. I don't know if any of those are worth the price difference, and I don't know how good the guides are on the Grizzly, but they are really good on the new Jet.

The Grizzly I believe is made in an ISO factory not sure about the Jet though.

Not sure about the Jet, either, but I do know that it's made in Taiwan and not China. I believe the Grizzly machine is also Taiwanese.

The Delta Hybrid saw that I bought last year is made in China, and the quality of the Jet band saw in general is definitely better.

New blades will be purchased up front for sure. I know the stock blades arent anything to brag about.

I read some reviews from folks that thought the Jet 18" needed help, but in fairness they were from 2005. Fixes have since happened.

Grizzly has a 1 year warranty and Jet has a 5 year. There is a local shop that is an authorized Jet service. Strong points indeed.

You hear good things about the Grizzly tools.

I guess if there arent any strong opinions to stay away from either I'll go with cost and warranty as deciding points.

Cool

Another thing to consider. As much as I like my Grizzly jointer and the deal I got, there's something to be said for buying locally. I try to do that whenever I can.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

8. Having just bought a bunch of stuff, I'd suggest that they are all pretty much the same. You get the feeling after looking at much of this that it is made to specifications, more or less by a variety of small companies and painted to whoever ordered its specs.

My decision at that moment was that the guys who were selling it were local; they didn't charge any delivery fees and they worked to get the best price. Don't know if it is right to say it here, but it was Western Tool Supply, about 25 minutes from my house. There is an old thread about it somewhere here.

Even if the price were a bit higher, I'd vote to buy from local people who will support you after the sale (Which Western Tool does in spades).

The value of the relationship remains far after the price is forgotten, IMHO.
    Vietnam Vet With No Apologies

I just went down the same road you are traversing--I wanted to buy from my local Woodcraft store. I looked at the new Jet bandsaws, the Rikon, and the Steel City. The $999 sale on the Rikon was tempting--but I ultimately decided on the Grizzly G0514x2. What convinced me was the larger table on the Grizzly and the new mechanism that tilts it. I figure Grizzly must be listening to customers to come up with this table mechanism and I have not seen anyone else come up with this, at least anyone in my price range.

The Jet 5-year warranty means nothing to me. If you read it, you will find it is only 1-year warranty if you use it for business use. I am a LLC to protect myself in the event something catastrophic happens, a chair collapses with someone on it, etc.

I have come to the conclusion that my local WoodCraft really is concerned with income, and not willing to deal or match other stores prices. Couple this with the fact that an 80-mile away Rockler store gives local woodworking clubs 15% discount excluding power tools and machinery, and it becomes much easier to buy the right tool for you, and not support the local guy if this is what it comes too.

I'll post a review of my new bandsaw later on in the week, it arrives Tuesday!

Good-luck making your decision.

Greg Stahl

This one was a back and forth decision for me. I really like this larger table, 19" wheel, and table locking design on the Grizzly. In the end I decided on the Jet. One reason is I have never seen a Grizzly BS and would be purchasing in the complete blind. That one bothered me the most.

Dealing with my local Woodcraft is a plus though. I am in there alot. I asked if there is anything they can do on the price. Doesnt hurt to ask eh?

Got a free mobile base thrown in the purchase, on top of the Jet rebate and store certificate I will be recieving worth $202 total I was getting anyway.

I suspect that Grizzly would be a good saw. If there was a showroom close to me the end result may have been different.

Contacted Timberwolf blades and talked with them my needs and which blades they recommend. I have a short list I will be ordering from them soon.

I'll post a review of the JWBS-18X-3 as soon as I get the chance to use it.

Greg I look forward to reading yours on the G0514x2. I hope its solid and a great purchase!

My Griz G0514X2 will be delivered soon....oops too late, you already bought a Jet. Larger table and tilt mechanism, plus seeing it at Muncy, helped me decide. Another was the technician who helped me look at some Griz stuff [will not degrade this chap by referring to him as a salesman]. Another factor was that the Griz 1023 run out measurement was a major problem. I just could not get the dial indicator to move except when I was turning the blade; the 1023 was putting some bad ju-ju on my dial indicator. The absolute maximum motion indicated was .001, so I will not get away with blaming the saw when I mess up .
    Oops again, this thread is about your BS. So, congratulations on your Jet.