Thread: Help for tablesaw decision

Help for tablesaw decision

I have a question of long standing that I need an answer to. I have an old Sears table saw that I inherited; the saw runs ok, but the fence is not reliable and requires a lot of work to get it set correctly. Consequently, I have been seriously considering getting a Grizzley 1023sl cabinet saw while they are on sale.

However, I see on various posts that many woodworkers build nice cabinets with extended tables, etc for their table saws. A friend has built the extended tables AND added a Bies fence system to his table saw. So, my question is "What am I missing?" By the time one builds the cabinets and buys a better fence, the cost is approaching the price of a G1023sl. Are there considerations that I am missing?

Comments please.
    Jack

Jack, if you have one of the older Craftsman contractors table saw with a fence like the one I used to have, my suggestion is to at least upgrade the fence. You'll be amazed at what an updated fence will do. The time saving alone will be worth the price. As for buying a whole new saw, that depends on what you do and how much you use the saw.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Jack, there is a difference between a cabinet saw, and a saw with cabinets around it. The latter can be added to any saw, and having the extra surface helps especially when dealing with sheet goods, and or long boards. But the reason behind the cabinet saw is weight and power, with the ability to have stronger components in the working of the saw. All this is the result in how the saw is built, and how it will last.
    I'm also looking at the Grizzly 1023 series, but am not going to be able to do it this year...maybe Pappa Griz will have a good sale on next Christmas! It seems to be the front runner for a quality unit at the best price. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Rob Will Guest
    Jack, I had the exact same problems with my Craftsman saw. I now have a PM cabinet saw. If I were looking for a saw today, the Delta Unisaw (factory equipped with a 50" Beisemeyer fence) would also be on my list.

Rob

The 1023 is simply a more substantial machine than a contractor saw with an upgraded fence and enclosure built around it. I suppose the appeal to fixing up an older saw may be sentimental value, or the appeal of being able to do it piece by piece without investing $1k all at once.

Get the 1023 if you're able.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E. Garner View Post
    By the time one builds the cabinets and buys a better fence, the cost is approaching the price of a G1023sl.

Comments please.
    Jack
    I think you answered your own question right there. If you can swing it, go for the cabinet saw you wont regret it.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I have posted pics of my contractor saw with a cabinet built around it. I would rather have the Griz but I already had a good fence (Accusquare for $150). Got the Delta saw for $75(36-666), needed $200 in wood and mica $50 in hardware and built in a router table. I upgraded the insert for $20, pullies and belt for $50 and added PAL's for $20. So I'm in for $565 spread out over two years.

Griz 1023

Jack, I bought the 1023 left tilt, 3 hp, about 1.5 years ago. This is one fine saw for the money. I read all the hype on different fences on this forum, but the Shop Fox that comes with this saw is perfect for me. I am an ex machinist, and dialed this fence in easily and it stays dialed in. If you buy this saw you can put your savings into a nice blade and dado set. Just my opinion. John

I have a question of long standing that I need an answer to. I have an old Sears table saw that I inherited; the saw runs ok, but the fence is not reliable and requires a lot of work to get it set correctly. Consequently, I have been seriously considering getting a Grizzley 1023sl cabinet saw while they are on sale.

However, I see on various posts that many woodworkers build nice cabinets with extended tables, etc for their table saws. A friend has built the extended tables AND added a Bies fence system to his table saw. So, my question is "What am I missing?" By the time one builds the cabinets and buys a better fence, the cost is approaching the price of a G1023sl. Are there considerations that I am missing?

Comments please.
    Jack
    You might be missing some considerations. Does your friend have 220 to power the cabinet saw (owns the home verses a rental)? Did he get the Bies fence at Lowes on closeout for $80 (makes it cheaper to upgrade his current saw)? Does he have a wife, who wouldn't let him buy the new saw, "because he already has one he doesn't use enough"?

The 1023 series, is a better saw, overall, but may not be better in his circumstances.

I had a Delta Professional (contractor) saw. Just finished a 7' x 3' cabinet with 15 drawers to mount it on. Then, while surfing the Internet, I made a mistake of showing my wife a SawStop with all the nicked, but not severed, fingers. She insisted I sell the Delta and buy a SawStop. It is a wonderful saw. Expensive, but cheaper than surgery. See www.sawstop.com

Upgrade vs. Replace??

Comments please.
    Jack
    Jack,
    You can make several improvements that will make your CMan a better saw. I spent a ton of cash upgrading mine.. Then I bought the shopfox version of the 1023. I recommend you price out how far you want to go with the CMAN.

Before I was done with mine I:
    1. Replaced the fence
    2. Replaced the Stamp Steel wings with web steel units
    3. New handles ( Plastic ones broke)
    4. Braided belt
    5. Mobile base
    6. Dust collection bag (didn't work very well -- but I never really tried to tighten it up)
    I dropped over $500 by the time I finished.. Now granted, I did it overtime and the saw fit my budget at the time.

The saw performed well for me, but I quietly lusted after the 1023. I guess I wore my wife down. She let me buy it to shut me up...

Good Luck!
    I'm very happy with my shopfox version of the 1023..

Let us know what you decide..

Clint

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Booher View Post
    She insisted I sell the Delta and buy a SawStop.
    You make it sound like it's a bad thing.

I've showed my wife that video and all she said was "neat".
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

I too put an accusquare fence on an old Craftsman contractor saw. Works amazingly well. I also added an aluminum rail to the left side to facilitate a sliding cut off. The rail cost around $4.00 at Lowe's and I used material on hand to build the extension table, cut off sled, and miter slot rails. Is it as good as a 14" Tannewitz? No way. However, I can accurately cut wood for a total cost of around $175. I bought the saw for $20.