Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jointer or planer

jointer or planer

Hello there

I usually work on small pieces in my garage but I am getting frustrated anymore at how long it takes me to straighten some of the lumber I work on.
    now I am getting ready to get either a jointer/planer or a thickness planner and I am definitely confused on what to get first since I have the budget for only one.
    I am sure this question get asked many times but I could not find an answer while searching in the forum.
    do you guys know of any cheap jointer/planer or Thickness planner deals ? -after doing some research at the local HD and Lowes I found that ryobi has a $199 planner that seems to have ok features for the money and have ok reviews but I haven't looked really for any jointer deals.

Thanks in advance

You really need both to cut down on the time it takes to make a board flat at a specific thickness. If I could have only one it would probably be a jointer. You can't make flat boards with a thickness planer. Any cupping or bends in the boards will still be there after you run them through the planer. A jointer will give you 2 good sides to use as a reference for removing material on the opposing sides.

Try the used market for these tools. You could probably get a decent 6" jointer used for near $200.

Jointers and thickness planers are different tools. The former is specifically for getting material flat and straight. The latter's primary job is...thicknessing that flat and straight lumber. That said, many folks will opt for the planer first and use other techniques for flattening and straightening lumber, such as a router table with a split fence for edge jointing and a sled for the thickness planer for (minor) flattening.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I opted for the jointer first, but only because I knew what I wanted and needed to do some research before buying the planer. I have had several Ryobi tools and find them to generally be well made but not without gotchas. The Ryobi planer has a definite snipe problem best solved by cutting a couple of inches off both ends of every piece you run through it. That eats up the savings fairly quickly. My Ridgid is almost as bad, though the reviews said the carriage lock would practically eliminate them....

Such is life.

If you can only get one...it would definetly have to be the planer. You can use a sled to shim under the high spots on the first side and then turn it over for the opposite parallel cut.
    You will never get both faces of a board parallel on a jointer. Period.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    If you can only get one...it would definetly have to be the planer.
    Agreed as without a planer, your use of a jointer is pretty much limited to edges...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

To decide which to buy first flip a coin. Once you have one you will want the other. Every time this subjest comes up there is about a 50/50 split on which to buy first. Then there will be the folks telling you how to use a table saw, planer or router in place of a jointer. Let's not forget the hand tool guys who will tell you not to get either. There is no good way to thickness a board and get a parallel face without the planer so my vote goes to get that first.

You should post your location (I don't know why people ask about deals without disclosing their location) as someone might be able to point out something in your area. Used jointers seem to be more available than used planers and used is an excellent way to go.

Thanks a lot

I am located in Bozeman, MT

so maybe I can stay with a hand planer and get a thickness planner as an addition, or get the jointer and hope I can always pick the right thickness at buying lumber....

humm seems like I should do some more research and thinking

Thanks again

anybody knows how different is this jointer ?

Hello again

I was wondering what is the difference between this jointer/planer and a normal jointer ? I seriously cannot see any difference and they call it a planner as well.....
    just curious .... while I am online looking

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=3104

RIDGID 6 1/8 In. Stationary Joiner/planer
    Last edited by simo sentissi; 11-25-2007 at 9:58 PM. Reason: forgot to add link

That's a jointer, the "planer" was added by the advertising weenies to lure newbies such as yourself. . While technically correct I suppose the common term for that machine is "jointer". That aside, the Rigid jointer is a well reviewed tool at a good price.

I wrestled with the same question this year. Richard has come up with the best solution:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dragin View Post
    To decide which to buy first flip a coin. Once you have one you will want the other. Every time this subjest comes up there is about a 50/50 split on which to buy first. Then there will be the folks telling you how to use a table saw, planer or router in place of a jointer. Let's not forget the hand tool guys who will tell you not to get either. There is no good way to thickness a board and get a parallel face without the planer so my vote goes to get that first....
    While the jointer was a tool that bought first, it wasn't until I got the "thickness" planer that I realized that I bought them backwards. I had been jointing wood on my table saw for many years, While it wasn't the best way to joint the boards it worked. As Richard says, there is no other way, other than a planer, to get the thickness of a board even accross the board and end to end. It also is great for creating boards that are a specific thickness. A jointer can't do either one.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Good question. To reiterate, with only a jointer, you get flat sides that aren't parallel, so your wood comes out tapered. With only a planer, you get a uniform thickness for the length and width of the board, and the board will be flat from side to side at any given point, but it won't be any more flat along its length after planing than the bottom side is flat before planing.

You can overcome the planer shortcoming by flattening one side of the board by hand, but my guess is you haven't yet masted that technique. The other option is to use a planer sled.

I bought a planer first. But I was probably equally influenced by the fact that I found a respectable planer on Craigslist for a reasonable price.

I'm not a big fan of Ryobi and, in general, think its better to buy a higher quality used tool than a lower quality new one. So, I picked up the used DeWalt 734 on Craigslist for $250.

Truth be told, I haven't yet built a planer sled. I keep thinking I am going to find a deal on a jointer any day now, so I keep putting it off. My point is, consider the liklihood that you will actually follow through on the sled before thinking you aren't going to have to buy both in fairly rapid succession.

Good luck
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 11-25-2007 at 11:03 PM.

If you can only buy one, the planer is the way to go. You can get by with the many solutions mentioned above. Owning a planer is also a fantastic investment because buying your wood in the rough is cheaper than buying it surfaced. I believe that mine has paid for itself time and time again.

Rob Will Guest
    In Europe, our "jointer" is called a "planer" ..........
    and our "planer" is called a "thicknesser".
    I think their names are more accurate but we will stick with the US names.

If there is any chance you will dry some of your own lumber or otherwise have access to wide boards, save your pennies and find a BIG used jointer (old iron never goes down in value).The absolute best scenario is a jointer just as wide as your planer. Finding a planer should be easy.

Rob

I bought a jointer first, then didn't use it, so, then, sold it. I now have a planer that I'm rebuilding and will use a combination of a circular saw, and router for edge jointing and a sled for face jointing on the planer. With todays saw blades and guided systems, I don't see any advantage of having a jointer for edge jointing. In most cases one swipe with a saw or router will have the job done, and done as well as the jointer. Of course, a jointer would be much more useful for face jointing. I don't think the typical 6" model that most start with is that useful either. So, you'll have to spend more than I care to spend on a good sized jointer. I'm also of the belief that by the time you send the board through a jointer enough times to get it flat, you may be able to rig up your sled and get the job done as fast on the planer. Of course, I'm very slow, and like being that way.

What ever you decide, make sure you let us know and we like pictures.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.