Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: Securing 2x6 to concrete

Help: Securing 2x6 to concrete

The subject says it all.

I've read several threads regarding this (e.g. John Hain's 25 July post, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62338), and I'd like to ask for a little more detailed help.

Basically, I've got the .22 Ramset and it won't sink 2.5" nails through 2x6s into the concrete in my basement using the yellow #4 charges. I went to buy the level 5 charges, and it turns out they don't make those in .22, only in the larger calibers. So I groaned and bought some Tapcons and the drill bits to use them. Turns out they don't work, either. I must have drilled for 5 minutes and made no more than a 1/4" deep hole in the floor. There is no way that I'm going to do that for all of the fasteners I need.

Has anyone run into this problem? My basement is 35+ years old, and while it passes the Ramset test (basically, "set the fastener on the surface and hit it normally with a hammer, if it makes a dent then the fastener will drive into the surface"), yet with the #4 charges I only get about 1/4" (if that) into the slab.

I really don't want to pay the $200 to upgrade to the .27 caliber system (which supports the #5 charges), and unless Tapcon sells the world's crappiest drill bit, I'm not sure that switching bits or drills will make a huge difference. No, I don't have a hammer drill, but does it make THAT much of a difference? I'm looking to drive ~150 fasteners, I don't want to spend 5 minutes on each.

HELP!! Anyone got some advice?

(Also: If anyone in the St. Louis area has a .27 Ramset system, I'll gladly pay to rent it, especially if I can test it first and it works!!)

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Go rent a rotohammer that takes a SDS type bit.

Also get some Rawl split drive anchor pins.

Warning IF your using ACQ PT lumber for your plates the fasteners should be ZMAX (a "special" galv. process) One pin about every 4' and always within 12" of the end of your plate stock.

If it will be dry, always , and you don't have a code / inspection to pass you should be Ok with just steel drive pins.

Good luck.

Of course get the right size bit for the drive pin you find , about 1/4" dia. pin and bit should be fine for interior wall partions.

Rob Will Guest
    Throw that pistol away and buy a SDS drive hammer drill. Use 3/8" x 5" wedge anchors.

Rob

Daniel,

Roto-hammer or hammer-drill is the tool for the job. Rent one locally for this small job. I'm a pretty good sized lad and I've done some pretty physical labor. I once tried to use a star drill to cut a "trough" in my basement floor to move a shower drain for a new shower I was building. 4 hours later with chisels, star drill and sledge hammers of various weights, I had 1 1" hole. I rented a roto-hammer or hammer/drill and in 20 minutes I had the trough to move the drain 18".....

P.S. Hammer drills are excellent for driving ground rods for electrical entries into the ground too! Put a socket on it just slightly larger than the diameter of the ground rod. Stand the ground rod where you want it (out side of course) Put the socket over the end of the ground rod, a drill it in....in less than a minute in my cases....I had to put 2 in to meet code on my shop eletrical entry.

Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hmm this is strange, what you are doing is a fairly common practice and one that can usually be accomplished using a ramset. I have done this countless times on many of my jobs and never had it not work honestly. Oh you do get the occasional stubborn nail that wont set but its the exception. Is your ramset new? I have done this with the 3" fasteners with much success.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Fastening to Concrete:

Daniel,

Rent (or buy) a Hilti hammer drill (best fastening systems by far), and get some Kwik-Con II anchors in 1/4 or 3/16 with the matched tolerance driver/bit. You can recess the head of the anchor and use washers to prevent splitting the wood. If you need to remove the 2x6 in the future, just back the anchors out. These anchors cause minimal damage to the concrete, unlike powder driven nails, and have much greater pullout strength.

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/module...jsp?OID=-14459

--Scott

Hello,
    No, I don't have a hammer drill, but does it make THAT much of a difference?
    Absolutely a hammer drill makes a huge difference.
    A 5 to 7 amp one will suffice for Tapcons. <$100. (HF has one on sale right now for $29.00)
    For anything beefier - like 3/8" fasteners, you want 8 amps or more.>$100.
    (My Firestorm 6.0 amp bogged down on the 3/8" holes I drilled when they got beyond 2 1/2" deep - I had to back it out and blow out the dust to continue).

If you go with Tapcons, you'll want to drill pilot holes in the wood first with a regular twist drill. The masonry bit in the hammer drill takes forever to bore through the wood. I picked up two 10 packs of the HF 1/8" bits for $.99 on sale. For ~ 150 holes, you'll probably go through ~ 20 bits. It's nearly impossible to keep the twist bit from hitting the concrete when it breaks through. A couple of "hits" will dull the point in short order. Expensive bits, in this case are a waste of good money, since they dull just as quick.

I had to run about 50 Tapcons through some treated 2x4's and into cement block a few months ago. I ran 3 drills. One had the 1/8" twist bit, the hammer drill had the Tapcon bit, and the third had a screwdriver bit.
    It was drill - hammer drill - screw, then on to the next hole. Once I got into a rhythm, it was maybe, 20 min(?) to run them all. (I didn't keep a real close watch on the time)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

You can put a new charge into the gun and shoot the nail again as long as the orange feathers are still in tack. I know this is a common practice in the trades and have done it myself with excellent results.

Richard

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    Get a good concrete bit and use these.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...l.ex?sku=52032

We've done this before we had a hammer drill.

Have at it

JEFF

One word............Hilti....

I've done what Jeff suggested. Was way easier than it looks. this is how the breaker box is held onto the poured concrete wall in my basement...and has been for 8+ years.

I have never used a Ram-set, I have always used the carbide tipped concrete drills and had great success 99% of the time. You can rent the equipment you need but if you need the equipment very often it is much cheaper to buy it. I use the Milwaukee hammer drill and a good grade drill bit. Some of my concrete was poured in the early 40's and is very hard but the drill goes through it like butter. Like someone suggested, pre-drill your wood and make sure the hole you drill in the concrete is deep enough and cleared of any debris. I use the Fastenal type fastener.
    David B

1. Absolutely no comparison between a hammer drill and a standard electric drill. The more you spend on a hammer drill, the better they get, too. I used a $69 Sears hammer drill for a few dozen holes before part of the mechanism self-destructed. I now have a Milwaukee hammer drill that I paid $130 for, reconditioned. I've let probably half the smoke out of the motor, but it still is 10 times the drill the Sears was. Drills holes in concrete 4-5 times faster, too. The high-dollar spline-drive hammer drills go through seasoned concrete like a hot knife through butter.

2. I hope your lumber is treated. Non-treated lumber has no business being in contact with concrete.

3. Tapcons aren't that great. They break and strip pretty easily. Wedge-type fasteners are much better, whatever the style (bold and wedge as one assembly, or screw and molly).

4. Powder-actuated fasteners don't do well on seasoned concrete, it's too brittle. They do better on green concrete that has not reached its final strength.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Here's a second (tenth) vote for using a hammer drill. The hammer drill provides thousands of impacts per sec in addition to the rotational force. Those impacts are what make the bit go through the 'crete. You gotta use a hammer drill bit for it though.

Also, if you use tapcons, use air to blow the dust out of the hole 1st. Unlike wood dust, it won't compress and though the hole may be plenty deep, the dust will prevent the tapcon from achieving the right depth.

You can use a rotohammer or an sdsmax, but IMHO the max is more for light chipping and the r-hammer is too heavy to be used efficiently for setting a lot of bolts.

I wouldn't buy one. Rent from BORG or similar.

Go get a hammer drill

Get one of the 1" SDS cheap hammer drills from Harbor Freight (cheaper than renting plus can be used for regular drilling and mixingpaint/mortar later). If you were going to do this everyday for a living I would sugest a better hammer drill but for a homeowner it will be just fine. A regular drill with a masonary bit would never be able to do the job. The difference between the two types of drill is like night and day. It took me an hour once to to a small hole with a regular drill and then went and got the cheap HF and came back and did 100 of the same hole in less than an hour.