Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norm's best work and/or what you've learned from NYW

Blog Entries

Norm's best work and/or what you've learned from NYW

As a follow up to this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69763
    and an attempt to focus on the positive, please post what you think was the most impressive thing Norm has done, or any comments about something you learned from watching NYW.

I'll start with saying that although not the thing that most people might pick, I personally liked the Deluxe Router Station for no other reason then that it reminded me that I should put the same level of quality into things I build for my shop as I do for items I make for others. Before seeing that episode my own router table was functional but pretty embarrassing. I'm now working on a design similar to Norm's but suited for my own needs.

Blog Entries
    The highboy was a real beauty. I also liked an end table I saw him do recently. The teak lounge chair I saw this week was very nice too but have you priced Teak lately? I built my kitchen out of teak about 9 years ago and even back then it was 14 bucks a BF. That chair had to be at least a few hundred bucks.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I like many of the pieces that Norm has built but the bonnet topped highboy has to be the most impressive.

My favorite, however is the blanket chest. I've built a half-dozen of those from various woods and consider it my first legitimate woodworking project. I've added a few embellishments along the way such as coved feet and a frame & panel lid. Everyone that I've made one for simply loves it.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I have been a Norm fan from the start. most of his projects don't interest me, but I watch. I have made 17 of his candle tables, I think it was his 2nd project. they are given as wedding gifts et Most were made of cherry, walnut and maple. I also made Martha's bird gage table, I would like to meet him sometime??

Earl

I have been a fan of Norm's forever. I have made a boat load of his adirondack chairs- a few of the loveseats. My favorite's have been using his chair plan as a guide, but using old wooden water ski's- they are a big hit- if I could just find more ski's!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Lindhorst View Post
    I have been a fan of Norm's forever. I have made a boat load of his adirondack chairs- a few of the loveseats. My favorite's have been using his chair plan as a guide, but using old wooden water ski's- they are a big hit- if I could just find more ski's!
    Yup, I also, made a bunch of his Adirondack chairs. I fondly remember going to this woodworking store ( been out of business for many years) to buy a jig saw. Well, these two guys who were working that day were experience woodworkers, and I was the only customer. One guy was showing me the virtues of using the top handle model. After awhile the other guy came over and he was a big fan of the barrel style model.
    I was so impressed at the enthusiastic attitudes of these guys. This was back when the building trade was very slow and experienced guys
    were everywhere in retail.(borg included)
    15 years later, I still have the Bosch saw (barrel) and all the chairs are still functional. Man, I learned alot in those days. Seems everywhere I went there was experienced guys with great attitudes.
    Gary

Thank you, first off, for starting a positive "Norm" thread. Just a few random thoughts....
    1. Norm started NYW to show folks how to build simple furniture using simple methods. It has been wonderful to watch him over the many seasons of the show progress in his abilities and techniques.

2. Yes...it would be great if we all had the well equipped shop shown on NYW. But that shop is not Norm's...it's Russell's. If I went to Norm's house & saw his shop, I would not be shocked to see it looks like your normal basement shop with minimal equipment, some paint cans and such. I'd wager a bet that between TOH, NYW and all the home shows Norm attends, he has little time to spend in his own shop.

3. I don't watch NYW to build what Norm builds, but rather than to see "how" he builds it. The thoughts and jigs and techniques behind the pieces are more interesting to me than the pieces themselves.

4. I don't imagine Norm will be wanting to work much longer, and it'll be a sad day for me when he leaves the airwaves. He has a mass appeal that David Marks and others have been unable to duplicate. I would go so far as to say if Norm had not been one of the pioneers of home improvement TV, there would be no David Marks' to watch. Before NYW, my shop consisted of a toolbox and a workbench. After thinking about how much time and $$ I've invested since the first season of NYW, my wife probably wishes Norm had never had the opportunity to put the show on the air.

5. I've built the router table and love it. As I understand it, Norm's table was an adaption from AWW, but.....how many of you have built the same table, or some version of it based on the fact Norm popularized it...not because it was first shown in AWW? How many thousands and thousands of people have built "that" table? Just curious...
    Last edited by DougButterfield; 11-26-2007 at 8:41 AM. Reason: adding to thoughts

I Agree on Highboy

Not only most impressive, but most attractive. I still think the Cowboy Furniture the most ugly - and that isn't Norm bashing. I've made at least five of his pieces, and am grateful to him for giving me the confidence to do other things, but the Cowboy piece is ugly to my eyes.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Again, the Highboy!

As I said over and over in the "other thread", the Highboy, which is without a doubt a perfect example of finewoodworking, regardless of the finish that was put on it.

The guy is a total class act (so is David Marks, he just hasn't been around as long and is not on PBS, so a much lesser audience has seen his shows). I had the pleasure of meeting Norm years ago, and he was as genuine as a guy could be. Willing to share and actually "ask" questions at the same time while autographing a photo. He can build anything from a great looking shed to a gazebo to a highboy classic! That is versatility and skill combined in a wide range of areas. Check out the interview on Popular Woodworkings website. Pretty darn inspiring, to me anyways.

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

The most impressive was definitely the highboy. My favorite project is the Adirondack chairs including the updated version...I'm glad I made templates as it's nearly time to make some more. The first two I made are now over 8 years old and pretty much at the end of life.

The two projects, however, that I think have some of the broadest appeal in our community are the router table (and it's update) and the one that too many folks forget about, the two-part jigs episode. That latter one is worth a mint. Build even one of them, and you've paid for the plans. That's especially true of the shelf-pin jig that emulates the very expensive MEG we've all seen Norm use on the show.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Eyman View Post
    . I still think the Cowboy Furniture the most ugly - and that isn't Norm bashing. I've made at least five of his pieces, and am grateful to him for giving me the confidence to do other things, but the Cowboy piece is ugly to my eyes.
    Sheeeeez Carl....We have already done YOUR thread. Sorry, my coffee has kicked in now. Guess I need more patience in the morning. :>)

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Keedwell; 11-26-2007 at 9:56 AM. Reason: Explanation

Norm's best work has been his inspiration to the thousands who
    tune-in whether for a re-run or a new show. I care less whether he
    makes cowboy furniture or a cowboy corral. His special honesty &
    manner are special, and in an era of "pitchmen", it is truly reality
    television. The lessons and "tricks" have been important to me. I
    hope he has made a ton of $$$--but you cannot detect that from
    his manner. Yes it will be a sad day when he "hangs-it-up". He, &
    few others have presented their craft honestly, without hucksters
    and the carnivalesque TV that has worn so thin. So thanks Nom.
    Hang in there. You can build all the cowboy furniture you want as
    far as I'm concerned.
    LeeB--

Think outside the box,
    the light's much brighter.

Agree

The Highboy was the best IMHO...But I've learned a lot from Norm. He's very skilled as has great "hands on" experience in both carpentry and finer WWing. But I've learned he's human with some areas that I don't really agree with i.e., too many brads that show, the finishing techniques, etc. BUT, overall the man and his show are excellent when viewed in total. None of us are perfect and I've learned also from him there are more than 1 "correct" way to do a wwing task. just MHO.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by DougButterfield View Post
    Thank you, first off, for starting a positive "Norm" thread. Just a few random thoughts....

3. I don't watch NYW to build what Norm builds, but rather than to see "how" he builds it. The thoughts and jigs and techniques behind the pieces are more interesting to me than the pieces themselves.

4. I don't imagine Norm will be wanting to work much longer, and it'll be a sad day for me when he leaves the airwaves. He has a mass appeal that David Marks and others have been unable to duplicate. I would go so far as to say if Norm had not been one of the pioneers of home improvement TV, there would be no David Marks' to watch. Before NYW, my shop consisted of a toolbox and a workbench. After thinking about how much time and $$ I've invested since the first season of NYW, my wife probably wishes Norm had never had the opportunity to put the show on the air.
    Hey Doug

Although my significant other hasn't said a word and has encouraged purchases, I agree fully with you observations. I had never done any woodworking before watching Norm, and our first project was a bed wall done on the kitchen island with a plastic Skil saw and home center tools. We're still using it. We had to buy a new house in order to have room for a shop. Talk about expensive. It's worth it though.

Curt

What I've learned is that there is nothing more important to safety than these, your safety glasses.

I'm not far enough along to really build things he shows. I do try to soak in the different methods he uses to reach a goal, so that maybe I'll remember some of them later on when I need them. His shows on building case work, and the 2 part show on routers were very interesting to me from an information stand point, because that is where I'm at and headed in the near future. Jim..
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.