Thread: Compressor Output

Compressor Output

I have a Makita 2400 which I would like to use for spraying light material such as shellac (my favorite). On an earlier thread, I was lead to believe that it would be adequate, although not a stellar performer. My goal would be to use a conversion gun, probably gravity feed since I understand they are more efficient. I have seen guns for several hundreds of dollars that are rated for small compressors. My hope is to spend no more than $200, and less would be better

What concerns me is the output. I found a reference http://www.cpomakita.com/nailers_and...2400_spec.html that shows only 4.8 CFM at 40 PSI and 4.2 CFM at 90 PSI.

So I wonder if anyone can offer their experience with this compressor. What sold me on this compressor was the ability to stand beside it and have a conversation while it was running.

Roy

You just need to insure that the gun you buy will work with 4.x SCFM of air input. It may run a lot if the tanks are small, but the flow of air is what counts.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Roy, work has taken precedent over SMC this week so I didn't get you the video I promised. I've been using this gun: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...?keyword=spray for years with good results though, and it requires 7cfm. I am using it with the Dewalt/Emglo twintank 4 gallon - D55153 which is supposedly 3.8cfm @100psi. Hope this helps.

Most HVLP conversion guns use higher CFM's of air. If your compressor can't deliver the required CFM's it will cycle more often than it should. The gun may atomize the fluid well enough, but if the compressor is on over 50% duty it will certainly shorten the life of the compressor.

You're also best when spraying with HVLP gus to regulate the air at the gun, not at the compressor. A small regulator at the air input of the gun set at the required 10-20 PSI and the compressor set to about 90PSI is normal.
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

Spray Gun Recommendations

Todd, Since we all know that Sears does not make spray guns, I wonder if you have any idea who made the one that you own? It is encouraging to hear that you can successfully spray with less volume than the gun calls for. Otherwise I would be looking for a larger compressor or one of the high dollar guns. As a hobby I won't be doing a lot of spraying, yet I would like to have equipment that would allow decent results.

Jack, I notice that many of the conversion guns include a regulator, so I suppose that proves your point. My compressor specifies a 50% duty cycle, but I use it so little I wouldn't be afraid to go beyond that. If the worst happened, I could more easily justify a larger compressor.

I've looked at DeVilbiss on the internet and find so many variations that it's confusing. I am partial to name brands since I would expect that replacement parts/accessories would be more readily available.

I am currently building a desk and have completed other items of similar size. I have been brushing or wiping finishes with good results, but would be overjoyed to reduce finishing times.

Recommendations would be appreciated.

Roy

Just an idea You may want to get an el cheapo harbor freight gun rated near your compressor scfm to see what it will do.They run $15 -$50 dollars and really dont perform badly .Then you can decide rather to upgrade your compressor before spending the $200 on spray gun.
    Just my 2 pennies worth

I've had my Craftsman for 4 years, sprayed both latex and oil based finishes/paints with it, kept it clean with laquer thinner, and it still sprays a nice, consistent spray. For $89 I don't think you can go wrong with it. I have friends that use the same gun/same setup to spray custom handrails/stairs with professional results. I don't know who the actual manufacturer is. To help refute doubts I do still plan to take video for you, but I'm on what seems to be an Extreme Home makeover for the next week while I wrap up a stair for a remodel - the clients are still entertaining the notion they'll be moved in by Christmas; they clearly haven't been around contractors this time of year.

Either way, good luck with your choice. My recommendation remains to go buy a new Craftsman(or equivalent) cup gun like I've got. As well as the ability to produce professional results, its a great beginner setup to learn on. After you've figured this one out you'll be able to decide how much of an upgrade you 'need'. Of course, JMO.