Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tool Gloat, Jet slow speed wet sharpener

I just got off the phone with Amazon and they credited me with 38.00 to cover the cost of the base and cover; which I just ordered. If anybody doesn't get them I would make like a squeeky wheel. At any rate it either brings the cost down to 129 if I don't order the base and cover or 167 if I do.

FWIW the machine came in great condition, everything is square and it seems to work well. No complaints. What a deal.

Post Hey Doug~

now you have that nice chuck for your lathe to go with the Jet sharpener- you know you won , don't you?
    Congratulations !
    Brian

Can anyone point me to where the Tormek and Jet jigs have been compared?
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Gary,
    Been a while since I read the rules, but I'm thinking we're we are not allowed to post links. So I PM'd you a link to a site that reviews some of the Jet jigs and actually has video of him using several of them. He does a side by side comparison of the Jet vs. Tormek but I don't remember him reviewing Tormek jigs specifically.

Jeff Farris, who is associated with Tormek, is a member here. From his profile you can go to his home page. He does very good demos of Tormek jigs. By comparing the two sites you may get the info you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Can anyone point me to where the Tormek and Jet jigs have been compared?
    Last edited by Larry Heflin; 11-28-2007 at 1:03 PM. Reason: added info

Thanks Larry.

After a quick glance through a few of the reviews, they seem pretty positive.
    Last edited by Gary Herrmann; 11-28-2007 at 1:03 PM.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Maybe even cheaper!

Don't forget about the $25 Jet bonus days 2007 rebate for power tool purchases between Nov. 23 and Dec. 31 2007. If you fit in there, then you have your price down to $104.OO !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Burns View Post
    I just got off the phone with Amazon and they credited me with 38.00 to cover the cost of the base and cover; which I just ordered. If anybody doesn't get them I would make like a squeeky wheel. At any rate it either brings the cost down to 129 if I don't order the base and cover or 167 if I do.

FWIW the machine came in great condition, everything is square and it seems to work well. No complaints. What a deal.
    Last edited by Larry Heflin; 11-28-2007 at 1:20 PM. Reason: spelling

7. I emailed amazon last night and today got an email telling me to contact Jet. That they were very sorry but they do not stock replacement parts. Not sure if I should go with getting a bit of a refund or pursue it with Jet.

Is the cover and base worth the extra?

My sharpener, base and cover showed up today. All seems in order except the support arm. It is 3/8 inch out of square on the 15 inch run. I will be contacting Jet in the next couple days.

Arm Alignment

This is apparently a recurrent problem and was one of the few criticisms I saw. Someone who had the same problem said he just stuck it in a vise and pulled on it a littlle and it fixed the problem. That might be a quick fix that saves you the hassle of replacing the part. Also, check to see if the stone is already trued to the out of alignment arm. The stones are supposedly being shipped out already trued now. My Jet is on the way, so I'll be looking at this when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Conely View Post
    My sharpener, base and cover showed up today. All seems in order except the support arm. It is 3/8 inch out of square on the 15 inch run. I will be contacting Jet in the next couple days.

Over on wood net they are talking about the Jet purchased from Amazon Is having a lot of problems with the circuit board burning out. A LOT of them. Anyone on here having a problem?

Mine came today

The brown truck showed up and dropped off a big box. It had the grinder, the optional base, and cover. Nice dvd with ernie conover. Haven't used it yet-so can't comment on alignment issues.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Over on wood net they are talking about the Jet purchased from Amazon Is having a lot of problems with the circuit board burning out. A LOT of them. Anyone on here having a problem?

Think it was only two or so, one from before the sale. Maybe jet felt it would be cheaper to sell them off cheap and have the customer fix it by sending out the replacement. Still got the 5yr warranty, that should be enough time to see if the board is bad or not.

I've only run mine for about a half an hour and no problems. Except that I've got to contact amazon about the base and cover, $38 credit would be nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Weick View Post
    now you have that nice chuck for your lathe to go with the Jet sharpener- you know you won , don't you?
    Congratulations !
    Brian
    Brian,

I didn't know that I won until I saw your post. I was taking advantage of the mild temperatures. I was triming the dining room windows which I installed. I am getting our old house ready to sell. The new one is built and we are about 70% moved.

Thanks for the update!

Doug Rogers

Mine just got here. It came with the drawer and cover. And all else is perfect. Perfect alignment on both the horizontal and vertical and it runs great.

However I did mess with it a bit to see if needed things could be adjusted. You have to remeber I was a machinist for 10 years and worked as a rep for a machine tool co. for 5 years and setup and alignment were all part of my job. I am always messing with something.

If you have good alignment of your vertical post but the horizontal post are out a little bit you can loosen the 4 screws and make some adjustment. I did this to see if it could be done. there is plenty of movement. I think more than enough to make adjustments for most circumstances.

So fare I am pretty impressed with the finish on mine it is pretty dang nice. I think it was a great buy I Can't wait to use it. I first have to type a couple of reports this evening and then I will watch the DVD and get to using it. It looks like it will be a late night .

I will let ya'll know how it goes.

Good Luck

Alan

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Burns View Post
    I just got off the phone with Amazon and they credited me with 38.00 to cover the cost of the base and cover
    So armed with another persons order number that got a base and cover, and mentioning of the above credit. I got amazon to credit me $20 and refund me $20. They said they were able to credit 20% of the order only.

The base and cover would be nice but it is not going to make me sharper tools. So I'll just put a couple of bricks under it and throw a paper bag over it when I'm done

Also going to try for the $25 rebate too

I love amazon

http://www.amazon.com/JET-708016-Dra...6398707&sr=8-1
    Last edited by Grant Vanbokklen; 11-30-2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: link added