Thread: Lath Chucks

Lath Chucks

Has anyone had any experience with the line of chucks offered by Penn State? Good, bad, indifferent? Have a Jet mini, looking for a decent chuck system to use on it without breaking the bank.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Redbob

You can't go wrong with the Barracuda2. I've had it for over two years and it really gets used. Love all the different sets of jaws that I use for everything from chain pulls, bottle stoppers, tool handles, boxes to bowls.......Ron

I guess I don't care for their items. I can't tell why but they don't seem of quality (my obsevation) CSUSA has the apprentice chuck for $149 comes with #1 #2 #3 jaws the pin jaw and the screw center. Personally I own the SN2 so I can't comment on the apprentice.
    Hope I confused you a bit more with the added option
    Good luck

Bob, I just bought one for my delta midi and I really like it. It's not quite as heavy duty as some of the more expensive chucks but it's great for a mini lathe.

But check the price on Amazon before you order it. It might save you a few bucks.
    http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworkin...6133253&sr=8-1

Craftsupplies Apprentice chuck is the same chuck also
    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...ice_chuck?Args=
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 11-26-2007 at 10:19 PM.

I have one of their Utility Grip 4 jaw Lathe Chucks, I think I paid about $40.00. I use it on a Jet Mini (small turnings) and have no complaints with it and would buy it again at that price. At the current price and with the new Barracuda lathe chuck if I were adding a chuck that would probably be the one. Dave

I have the Barracuda2 and a Nova Midi, I usually grab the Barracuda2 when I reach for a chuck. If I have a long term project I then put it on the Nova, so I can keep the Barracuda2 free for my day to day projects. I am retired and my toys get a lot of use. For the cost I consider the PSI chucks a good value.

Marvin

Bob I have the Barrcuda2 and the apprentice chuck. Both are decent chucks and in fact I am not so sure they are not the same chuck with different names. Another good chuck is the Grizzly H6265 for $99. I have 2 of them and the Vicmarc VM100. The jaws interchange. This Grizz chuck is a good one. You can never have enough chucks. I hate changing jaws.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

just got a flyer in the mail today from woodcraft Nova G3 chuck 139.00 with adapter

the Barracuda2 is about all I use unless I am turning a platter and want to use a dovetail recess and my $40 grizzly chuck. I have turned 15" bowls and some large HF's and it has never let me down. I do plan on buying a better chuck in the future just haven't yet. All in all I would say it is a great chuck for the price.

Bob

The Nova G3 was on sale a couple of months ago at Woodcraft. I have used it almost every day for the last two months and have been very impressed. It seems a significant step up from the Nova Midi, and with the current WC deal, I may pick up a second...

Just got mine in last monday, happy so for. Only have turned a couple practice spindles on it so far. Going for a bowl tonight or maybe a couple of baby rattles. My mentor has the barracuda 4 and it is exceptional!!!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

I guess I'm going to have to go against the grain here. I have an older Barracuda2 that I recently had to stop using after about 18 months of use. It's an older one that uses a square drive key and requires an adaptor to fit either 3/4X16 or 1X8 threads.

Mine is as shown in this photo:
    http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant..._Code=CSC3000C

Not like the new photo in the catalog:
    http://www.pennstateind.com/catalog/p/053.htm

The gears on both the body and the inbedded key portion have both stripped and deformed to the point that they don't really mesh anymore, making it very difficult to open and close the jaws. Additionally at least 2 of the screw holes on the jaw slides have stripped out, resulting in the inability to use the pin jaws as there's no way to secure one of the jaws to the jaw slides.

I'm much happier with the SuperNova2 that I purchased as a replacement.

Jason

I have one of the older SuperNova chucks (not the SN2). So you can guess how much torture I've put my older SN chuck through over the last few years. It's really not rated for as large of chunks that I've actually turned on it, but it has held up to the strain.

I only have one chuck.....but someday, I'll have another chuck.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I've used the Barracuda and have nothing against it personally. I own a Talon & a very old Nova. If I was buying new, I'd still get the Talon at this point.

The turners I know who have experience with purchasing the PSI chuck many tell pretty much the same story. I've not heard that story recently, so will tell it as info from a couple of 2-3 years ago, okay?

Many turners purchased one of the Barracuda models from PSI that came with multiple jaws. Nice deal on the surface. Many, many, many of these turners were very unhappy when they got their chucks. Did not tighten up, did not stay tight, jaws did not align into a perfect circle (like one jaw was 1/2 thread off??). All were encouraged to complain to PSI and most did. PSI shipped them new ones with no additional expense to the turners and paid for the return of the faulty equipment. Some of those turners had to repeat the process up to four (4!) times before getting a satifactory chuck. Once they got a chuck that worked, they were pleased with the product.

I honestly do not know if the newer models are better manufactured or what, but I've not heard this tale for a while, so hopefully, they fixed what was wrong. And they have also increased the price of the package to nearly double what it was "back then". I'm guessing it's a new and truly improved product. Better resource, I'd bet.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO