Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaws: What make/size?

Bandsaws: What make/size?

Hi all,

I've got a bit of money coming back to me from the gov't, so I'm looking at getting a bandsaw to outfit the shop. I've got limited exposure to bandsaws, so I'm sure what size would be ideal. I've mainly done work on furniture and odd projects around the house, so I get the feeling that a 14" bandsaw might be the right fit for the time being. What would the reasoning be to looking at a 17" be?

Also, make... I don't have a whole lot of money to spend (see the gov't ) so at the moment I'm looking at offerings from King Canada (KC-1433FXR), General International (90-150 M1) and Steel City (50100). Anyone familiar with these or the makers care to give an opinion? Is there someone else I should be looking at?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by John MacTire View Post
    I get the feeling that a 14" bandsaw might be the right fit for the time being. What would the reasoning be to looking at a 17" be?
    John... a 14" bandsaw is what many people start with. Most dont outgrow this size. The advantages are small footprint, lower cost, availability of accessories, 110 volt, large resaw height(with riser block), lighter weight. A larger steel frame saw is just that, larger, heavier, larger heavier wheels that tend to add a flywheel effect and help to dampen vibration, usually 220volt, ability to use and tension a wide blade(better for resawing), and offers more width between the blade and the support column.

Also, make... I don't have a whole lot of money to spend (see the gov't ) so at the moment I'm looking at offerings from King Canada (KC-1433FXR), General International (90-150 M1) and Steel City (50100). Anyone familiar with these or the makers care to give an opinion? Is there someone else I should be looking at?

Cheers!
    If you are in the US, Grizzly, but it appears you are in Canada(are you?) if you are, Grizzly is out, unless you can order and pickup in the US. Other manufacturers to look at are Jet, Powermatic, Ridgid, Shop Fox, Delta, Wilton. If you have more questions, just ask.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

FYI, JET is having a sale with rebates through April 31st. You can get a 14" bandsaw for $549 or a 16" for $799. Both of those are probably good deals if you can't go Grizzly.

If you want to get a pretty good saw, then you can't go too far wrong with one of General's cast iron wheel saws.

http://www.general.ca/pagetitre/ang/bandsaws.html

They are a step up from the Aluminum wheeled saws.

Blog Entries
    I'm guessing north of the states from your considered models(?). 14" is almost a De facto standard for home shops. The Delta-style cast saws have a boatload of accessories and such so that is an advantage. Be sure to factor in riser blocks and such for the 14" when you are comparing saws. I ended up with a 17" and the floor space required is just a bit over the 14" I was considering. Try for a couple HP (speaking as one who had an under powered BS in the past). Given adequate power, a 14" could serve you well for many tasks.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

14" the powermatic is the best but $$$, I would buy the jet for value. I just bought a 18 steel city 220V I decided I wanted to make my own vineer and though the 14" could be a little whimpey. But 14" is kind of the standard if you are not resawing. Oh one last thing with band sawa there is no disadvantage going bigger.
    -=Jason=-

Grizzly G0513 if able to buy it (US). 17", great saw, around $750--much more saw than the 14" if you can swing a couple hundred more.

If not, then I'd be looking at CraigsList for best I could find in 14". Why? Because 14" bandsaws come up quite often on CL, for good savings--around $200-$300 often, so for 14" I'd look there and hold out until I found one. Where I am in Phoenix, those deals happen about 3 times a week.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Hi John, I have a 90-240? the 17 inch GI saw.

I've owned it for aproximately 4 years, prior to which I owned the generic 14" bandsaw.

The 14" saw got me started, however I wanted a larger saw with greater depth of cut, and more power. The 90-240 fit the bill, and works very well.

I use it for re-sawing, making veneers, cutting curves, cutting bowl blanks for the lathe, and milling small logs into lumber.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by John MacTire View Post
    Hi all,

I've got a bit of money coming back to me from the gov't, so I'm looking at getting a bandsaw to outfit the shop. I've got limited exposure to bandsaws, so I'm sure what size would be ideal. I've mainly done work on furniture and odd projects around the house, so I get the feeling that a 14" bandsaw might be the right fit for the time being. What would the reasoning be to looking at a 17" be?

Cheers!
    Greetings from a fellow Canadian here in New Brunswick.

I recently went though the process of trying to decide what bandsaw to buy and pretty much echo what others have said here about the 14" ones. They are what most people start out with and I am no exception. After looking over all the 14" ones out there I ended up buying the most expensive one - the Powermatic. It's got just about all the bells and whistles that a lot of people add on and other than a few complaints on the forums people generally are happy with them. 5 year warranty, free riser block at the moment, and I even got about 100 bucks off the promotional price on the go at the moment from a US dealer so I bought it. Powermatic is setting up in Canada and will have dealers and service centers here this year and they will honor the warranty if you buy from a US dealer, but JET, even though they are owned by the same company, are not allowed to be sold in Canada due to some trademark thing. Not sure how that affects the warranty on US bought JET stuff.

The only negative is that they are currently backordered until late May, but you still get the free stuff if you buy before April 30.

Not sure where you are in Canada, but if you are anywhere close to me let me know - I could probably get you either a Powermatic or Jet tossed into my order as far as shipping goes for free.

Cheers,
    Lewis

John,
    I just purchased a 14" Powermatic last weekend at the Woodcraft 10% off Jet and PM sale. I was considering the Steel City, Rikon and Jet. After owning a 12" Craftsman for years I decided to quit skimping. The Powermatic came with a "free" riser kit and the standard accessories include a fence (difficult to get set up but once you get it set it works well), Carter tension release, Carter bearing guides, and a nifty dust blower built in. I'm very pleased with the fit and finish of the saw. After one cut, I threw the standard blade away and replaced it with a 1/2 inch 3 TPI Timberwolf. The Timberwolf cuts very well. I cut a 1/32 inch slice of red oak veneer just to see what it could do. Overall I'm very pleased but it looks like many other brands have happy customers. For what it's worth...

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Miller View Post
    John,
    I just purchased a 14" Powermatic last weekend at the Woodcraft 10% off Jet and PM sale. I was considering the Steel City, Rikon and Jet. After owning a 12" Craftsman for years I decided to quit skimping. The Powermatic came with a "free" riser kit and the standard accessories include a fence (difficult to get set up but once you get it set it works well), Carter tension release, Carter bearing guides, and a nifty dust blower built in. I'm very pleased with the fit and finish of the saw. After one cut, I threw the standard blade away and replaced it with a 1/2 inch 3 TPI Timberwolf. The Timberwolf cuts very well. I cut a 1/32 inch slice of red oak veneer just to see what it could do. Overall I'm very pleased but it looks like many other brands have happy customers. For what it's worth...

Dennis
    Dennis - not to hijack this thread, but can you recommend a few general blade sizes for a bandsaw newbie that has just bought a 14" saw ? I am looking at the Timberwolf site and my head's spinning....

Lewis

I recently purchased the Powermatic w/riser and am very happy. I came down to the fact that it comes with the things i likely would have bought to make a less expensive saw better, Carter guides, riser, a light. I also have a 3520B lathe and it has been wonderful. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Cobb View Post
    Dennis - not to hijack this thread, but can you recommend a few general blade sizes for a bandsaw newbie that has just bought a 14" saw ? I am looking at the Timberwolf site and my head's spinning....

Lewis
    Lewis,
    I'm hardly a bandsaw expert but here's what I would say:
    Resawing: 1/2x3TPI (I read that some use 3/4 but I never have had one)
    General cutting of curves and shapes: 1/4x6 or 1/4x8 TPI trading smoothness of cut (higher TPI) against speed (lower TPI) in your choice
    Finer detail on thinner stock: 1/8x14 TPI but don't expect speed in thicker materials.

This is my best advice...but others may provide better guidance.
    Dennis

Thanks

Thanks all! Slowly absorbing your comments. I do live in Canada so getting access to some of the manufacturers mentioned would be problematic. Does anyone have any comments on Steel City vs. General International?

Thanks!