Thread: Rotex 125 + ETS 125 = ???

Rotex 125 + ETS 125 = ???

I am in the market for a Festool sander; I have a gift certificate and a big bowl of change on the dresser, and I am thinking of buying the Rotex 125 and the ETS 125 together. I already have the CT22.

Two questions:

Will these sanders pretty much answer the typical woodworking sander needs? I realize that when doing casework I'd have to sand a little longer with the 5" pad, but I cannot bankroll the 6" versions of these two sanders.

Does the Rotex 125 become more manageable with practice? When I was messing around with it in the store, it seemed to jump around some and was a handful to manage. Some of this is my inexperience, I am sure--I'd like to be able to shape some and remove stock quickly, though.

Thanks.

My 150 will jump around in Rotex mode if I don't control it, but in fine mode is no more difficult than my 5" PC palm sanders. That said, even in Rotex mode with 80 grit it's easier to control and use than my belt sander with better results.

I have the 6" versions of those and they make a great combination. I would get the shorter throw ETS125 if they make one. The rotex just takes a bit of practice to tame it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson View Post
    I have the 6" versions of those and they make a great combination. I would get the shorter throw ETS125 if they make one. The rotex just takes a bit of practice to tame it.
    By shorter throw do you mean the sanding stroke? For the ETS 125 it is 2mm; they don't make two models like they do with the 150.

Darl,

I have both of these sanders and I seem to rely on the Rotex. It does it all. I have just for fun taken a rough slab of firewood (walnut) and sanded then polished up with successive grits up to and including 4000. I showed it to my son and now he has it up on a shelf like a prized fish or something. It's really beautful, just a polished (burnished) piece.

I rarely use the ETS 125. You may want to start with the Rotex and a selection of their papers. I use the rubin and the brilliant. And you may want to play around with the amount of suction you are using, it will help stabilize the sander when in aggressive mode.

I don't think you will regret your purchase whichever one or both.

Good Luck,
    Rye Crane