Thread: Damaged bandsaw

Unhappy Damaged bandsaw

Took shipment of a new long waited band saw from Grizzly G0513X2 only to uncreate it to find that the top and bottom doors were pushed in about 1". The bottom one was pushed in so far the cap screw on the lower wheel made a large dent in the door. Called and there hopefully shipping the new doors out tomorrow. How many run their saws on 220. Came wired for 220 & I was wondering does it need to be. Plus there was no plug so I can't see if there was any other damage. Living on an island with no hardware stores makes it hard to find a 220 plug. I guess I'll have to make a trip off in a few days. Good excuse to pick up more wood.

I have been through that as well

I love their tools and have a shop full of them, but I have yet to receive one that was not damaged in some way. They always bend over backwards to make good on it. I figure that is the price I have to pay for getting the tools a bit cheaper then the other leading brands. Its a hobby, so time is not money as it would be if I was charging my time to work.
    I just want to live happily ever after,
    every now and then.

-- Jimmy Buffett

My BS is in transit from Griz...hope they do better... maybe a steep learning curve there..... And I believe it can be wired for 115 VAC.

Man sorry to hear that. It has to suck to wait for a new tool like this and it show up damaged. Plus your situation isnt the easiest to take care of things, being on an island and all.

Hope the new doors show up timely and in great shape, and there is no other damage.

I look forward to seeing a review on the BS when you get it going!
    One good turn deserves another

Smile

My Griz BS made it with only a couple small scratches, crate was damaged but no issues. Because I was still waiting on the 220 I wired mine for 110 so I could play. I now have the shop setup and could convert it back to 220 but have not found a need yet...works fine.

Shipped from Griz in last couple months

Table saw...crate beat up, couple scratches but no damage to saw
    Jointer...boxes beat up, no damage to jointer
    Bandsaw...crate beat up, couple scratches no damage
    Planer...crate beat up, one plastic foot cover broken...no need to fix
    Cyclone...boxes excellent condition, no damage

All in all pretty good luck with shipping

Blog Entries
    I run my G0513X at 220 and would recommend it if at all possible. The Griz packaging seems up to par. All makers need to up the packaging if the boys doing the hauling are as ham handed as 5 out of 10 seem to be.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jay, sorry about the damage...it happens but it's never a happy time.

A good percentage of tools that are setup to run on 240v do not come with plugs as there are multiple choices and every shop is different. Some folks, like me, prefer twist locks; others are fine with the less expensive flat lugs that are available for machines that draw 15-20 amps.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I guess I was furtunate. I just received my 1023 tablesaw, G0514x2 bandsaw, G0453 planer, and G0609 jointer all today. The corners of some of the boxes were a bit banged up, but all looks well. The bandsaw crate and packaging were perfect, no damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Stahl View Post
    I guess I was furtunate. I just received my 1023 tablesaw, G0514x2 bandsaw, G0453 planer, and G0609 jointer all today. The corners of some of the boxes were a bit banged up, but all looks well. The bandsaw crate and packaging were perfect, no damage.
    Whaaat??

Holy smokes! Now thats some delivery. Looks like someone has been good this year. Santa came early!

Bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer and planer all at one time...

With an order that big Grizzly probably paid special attention and made sure it was a-ok!
    One good turn deserves another

Welcome to the Creek, Gregory!

Did those wonderful machines come with a digital camera?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Stahl View Post
    As the saying goes - No Pictures, Didn't Happen!!

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Thanks for the welcome Brian!

Ok--pictures are coming tonight!

My only complaint so far is the plastic handles on the bandsaw. How can they call it Extreme Series and still put plastic handles on it? I'll have to find some metal replacements for my own satisfaction. Also, the frame around the top wheel does not seem as beefy as the Rikon or SC. I'll leave my complaints at that as I want to give the saw a fair chance. The table adjusting bracket thing is pretty cool though!

Everything else seems pretty solid and well built. The jointer came on a steel pallet--that had to cost something!

Best - Greg Stahl

No issues on either of my Gizzly tools delivered via LTL freight (but I live 150 miles from Springfield, so the machines aren't passed through 10 warehouses on the way). The big bear will make it right, but it's one of those PITA's nobody likes on a new toyl.
    My G0513X2 was undamaged in shipping with one board broken from what appeared to be a fork lift fork.
    IHO if a machine can go 6,000 miles in a container from the factory to the Grizzly warehouse, the crating isn't the problem with damaged machines. If you've ever seen how shipping yards handle containers, you'd be surprised that more "stuff" isn't destroyed from the Pacific Rim to the US.

Greg