Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Micro Jig MJ tablesaw splitter.....

Micro Jig MJ tablesaw splitter.....

Howdy,

Folks if you have not seen this new splitter, you really need to check it out. Especially if you do not currently use a splitter. Micro Jig (the Gripper folks) had this at the KC woodworking show and it was too good to pass up for $15. I have a full review of the splitter in the "Tool Review" section of my site if you would like to check it out.

No affiliation with Mocro Jig at all. I just think this is one very cool safety device that many would benefit from. This is the best thing I have seen come down the pike in a long time.

Thanks,

Terry
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 02-15-2004 at 8:06 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the review Terry. I have one on order and should receive it this week.

I talked to Henry at the beginning of the week and ordered one. Got it but haven't installed it yet. I still have my drill bit splitter so I'm ok until I take the time to do it. Maybe after I finish posting this.

I visited T, shop today and watched him install and try out this splitter
    the installation was simple and quite effective. I can't wait to get my own.
    Jeff H

Really like it

Put mine in yesterday. This is definately the woodworking invention of the year. It took me 15 minutes to do because with the 1st one, you make a jig of sorts. I could do the next one in about a 3rd of the time.

It was funny, the microjig folks only mentioned this splitter only as an afterthought to the Gripper presentation. Scott, Terry and I looked at each other for about a half second, and bought 3 of them on the spot.

Only difference between this and the $120 splitters is that it only works for 90 degree cuts. I would have easily paid double the price for this.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Diemer
    Put mine in yesterday. This is definately the woodworking invention of the year. It took me 15 minutes to do because with the 1st one, you make a jig of sorts. I could do the next one in about a 3rd of the time.

It was funny, the microjig folks only mentioned this splitter only as an afterthought to the Gripper presentation. Scott, Terry and I looked at each other for about a half second, and bought 3 of them on the spot.

Only difference between this and the $120 splitters is that it only works for 90 degree cuts. I would have easily paid double the price for this.

Yesterday???? Oh man, I thought I was gonna be the first.

Agree with Jack on the presentation deal. The guy treated it kinda like an after thought. The 3 of us immediately saw the potential in the splitter. Great idea.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Diemer
    Not to disagree, but my splitter has anti-kick back pawls as well.

This is a huge improvement over nothing though, and I wouldn't run my saw without the splitter attached for rip cuts.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up

Mine's in and works great. Has solved a lot of problems.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I just put one of the splitters on my Pm-66 last week and for the money I think it is a great invention. I wouldnot use the pauls even if I had them.

Blog Entries
    Do you think this splitter would work on a Shopsmith? I have a zci for it, but it seems to me that allignment might a problem because of the way the blade can be adjusted in and out. Any thoughts on this?

larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry,

I don't see why not. It should work with any zero clearance insert as long as you can drill the holes to mount it.

I guess you could tell I didn't go to Ft. Smith last week. I'll shoot you an email later this week.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield
    Larry,

I don't see why not. It should work with any zero clearance insert as long as you can drill the holes to mount it.

I guess you could tell I didn't go to Ft. Smith last week. I'll shoot you an email later this week.

Terry
    Terry,
    It was just as well, I was sick all week. I didn't feel bad enough to miss work, but I didn't make it down to the shop at all.

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Question???

I noticed that several times it is mentioned to raise the saw blade to its full height. I guess this is so that the splitter will be clear of the blade no matter the blade height. But I wonder, would it be valuable to have a zero-clearance insert for cutting 4/4 or even 8/4 where the blade is set lower, thus bringing the splitter closer to the back of the blade?

It looks like the splitter is a couple inches behind the blade when the blade is at a more common height (based on the pictures).

Now of course, you can keep you blade up high on all cuts, but I think some like to raise the blade only has high as necessary.

What do those of you who've used it think?
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stuewe
    I noticed that several times it is mentioned to raise the saw blade to its full height. I guess this is so that the splitter will be clear of the blade no matter the blade height. But I wonder, would it be valuable to have a zero-clearance insert for cutting 4/4 or even 8/4 where the blade is set lower, thus bringing the splitter closer to the back of the blade?

It looks like the splitter is a couple inches behind the blade when the blade is at a more common height (based on the pictures).

What do those of you who've used it think?
    That's a good idea, I think it would work well.

Terry,

I picked up the same splitter and zero clearance insert at the Woodworking Show in Houston a couple of weekends ago. I have had zero shop time since then, but am anxious to get it installed and give it a try.

I have been hesitant to spend the $ for the other after-market splitters because of their price. If the Micro-Jig splitter does the trick I am thrilled, and I don't see why it won't for the vast majority of cuts I make.

Mike