Thread: Blaspheme....modify a Bies fence?

Blaspheme....modify a Bies fence?

Since shop space is tight, thought about trimming Bies fence from 42 to 30-inches so the table saw can be placed against the wall when not in use. Checked out the Shark Guard and it will fit in blade cutout area, so I can also remove the external splitter behind the TS, a Griz 1023.
    Got lucky and while back and picked up a Biesmeyer fence which included an extension wing, the fence and short rails. Figured I could use the wing with the Benchdog cast iron top to make a nice router table, and the fence as fodder for this mod. Don't know what to do with the rails yet; perhaps use to make the router cabinet.
    What am I overlooking which might make chopping the Bies fence a bad move? Still have the 42-inch ShopFox fence if needed.

I remember several times where guys have posted about shortening the rails of their fence systems. If it seems like the logical thing to do then do it and don't look back. Keep the pieces as they could be stiched back together shoould you need to in the future.
    Mac

Rob Will Guest
    Add on to the shop?

If you cut them off, I don't trust the straightness if welded back together. I would cut them off and throw the leftover in the scrap metal bucket.

Rob

I shortened the rails on mine on the left side - added them to a sliding table saw and needed the clearance. Used my BIL's abrasive metal miter saw - worked great. End cap slid right in and it looks like it came that way. If you don't have access to one I'd suggest either renting one or taking it to a shop and having it done. Now notching the rail so the knob for the scoring blade would clear was another matter!

I believe Chris is talking about shortening the fence, not the rails?

If this is so, why not just remove the fence when you store the saw? That's what I do with my fence.

The longer fence helps with accuracy when ripping. If it were me, I would keep the fence and purchase a second one that's shorter, if the storage length is really critical.

Regards, Rod.

Chris I kind of like your idea of shortening the fence. When my younger brother came back from a stint in England he told me that many ww's there use 18 or 20 inch fences. Apparently in europe it is considered a safety feature that helps prevent kickback. Since our conversation a few months ago I have seriously considered cutting mine down to size.

The thing is I think the ideal situation would be to have TWO fences. A long version when ripping sheet material and a shorter one for nearly everything else.

Is space that tight that an extra 12" lopped off a table saw fence would make that much of a difference? I would really be hesitant to give up the extra ripping width (I assume you are talking about cutting the fence rails, not the fence itself).

I'm guessing you have other stuff pushed against the wall as well. I'd explore other options before cutting your rails..

Just and idea, maybe you can find a way to reliably hinge it so the last 12" flip up and back for storage.

My old saw could only rip to 25" and it never slowed me down, however I do have a guided circular saw system.

I would consider whether the 12" will really make that much of a difference but if it does I would cut them off and be done with it I now have a 52" fence but I can't imagine what I will use it for yet
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Forest for the trees . . .

Why not simply lift the Biese off of the rail and lay it down on the table top before pushing the saw against the wall?

Barring that, you could trim it, then have a fixture, similar to a sacrificial fence, that fits over the shortened Biese to give you full extension.

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    Blaspheme....modify a Bies fence?

It's your fence not Biesmeyers

CUT IT OFF

JEFF