Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Roof

My contractor used plywood for all sheathing...you could park a truck on our addition I think...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like to use plywood too. We redid a roof that had 3/8" plywood sheathing that had delaminated. You could still walk on it with out falling through. I am not so sure if I could have walked across OSB exposed to the same moisture with out falling through. I have been residing my house and only using CDX plywood sheathing. After sorting through the bundles to find acceptable sheets to put on my house, I can see why the contractors would like to use OSB. There is no differnce between sheets of OSB in a stack.

Mike

My bias on OSB is it doesn't hold nails worth a crap . I'd use 5/8 CDX on my roof and also on other folks roof IF I can talk them into it.

With skip sheathing under your OSB you'll be fine unless your in a high wind area . But I'd say use 1/2" CDX in your case with the skip sheathing it would be a better substrate IMO. Your roofers seems to vary from mine. Seeing he's the one who's got to stand behind it he may be the one to listen to

You should have Icynene ( spray foam ) insulation put in.

Link : http://www.icynene.com/

No venting needed , way better R value than any other insulation . I've used it three or four time on remodels like your where there wasn't room for batts .

It will take some coordination effort with your roofer and the insulation sub , IF you can find one in your area it would be the best way to go.

Good luck.

Icynene only appears to be R3.6 per inch if I'm reading the specifications correctly which is not all that different than fiberglass outside of less chance for air infiltration. Closed cell spray foam is R7 per inch and adds a lot of structural rigidity, too. The 2x4 walls in my addition, using the closed cell foam, are at a minimum of R19, although most are higher due to the contractor slightly overfilling. With 2x6 rafters like Chris has, closed cell foam will give R30+ and really stiffen the ceiling up.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Icynene only appears to be R3.6 per inch if I'm reading the specifications correctly which is not all that different than fiberglass outside of less chance for air infiltration. Closed cell spray foam is R7 per inch and adds a lot of structural rigidity, too. The 2x4 walls in my addition, using the closed cell foam, are at a minimum of R19, although most are higher due to the contractor slightly overfilling. With 2x6 rafters like Chris has, closed cell foam will give R30+ and really stiffen the ceiling up.
    Do you have a link to this "closed cell foam"? I thought Icynene was concider a CSF , yes that link I posted say's it's R3.6 per inch , so 3.6 x 5.5 = R19.8 net

I goggled closed cell foam and checked those two links on Chris's post and didn't find anything about CSF. Maybe I was rushing to much / didn't look hard enough.

Could be I have my terms mixed up , I did not call and talk to that insulation contractor to set up those jobs. Like I said we've used it three times in the past 7 years , It was expensive but when remodeling you do what best in a small space . I do know it , the spray foam, is the only insulation we can use here in the PNW that does not need , or want , any venting.
    Different areas of the counrty have different codes / requirements , I do not recall where Chris lives , I'll check his profile to see if it says after I post this.

So the spray foam guy came by yesterday. The product they have is an OPEN cell foam and they claim 3.8 per inch (he actually said 3.81 ).

The reason he likes open cell over closed cell is that water can actually penetrate it and that is a good thing because it tells you you have a leak in your roof.

The closed cell allows zero water penetration so if you have a leak, the water will sit on top of the closed cell with no where to go and it'll rot your sheathing and rafters.

The closed cell is also nearly impossible to fish future electrical and what-have-you through the walls although I'm not so concerned about that in a cathedral ceiling but am concerned about that for walls and my crawl space.

I spaced bringing in the material/website info for this firm's stuff so I post it here later for those interested to peruse. Edit: http://www.sprayfoam.biz/default.html is the place I'm still waiting on a quote from. Here is the foam material they use: Sealection 500: www.sealection500.com

I have the additional problem of both batts and blown-in insulation in my cathedral ceilings. The roofers won't deal with it and my spray foam guy won't deal with it so I have to bring in yet another party to join the "pilfer Padilla party" to clear my rafter bays of material.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 12-05-2007 at 12:55 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post

I have the additional problem of both batts and blown-in insulation in my cathedral ceilings. The roofers won't deal with it and my spray foam guy won't deal with it so I have to bring in yet another party to join the "pilfer Padilla party" to clear my rafter bays of material.
    Do it your self or quit complaining

Those people are just EARNING a living!

Advice is free here, saying your being "pilfered" by tradesman's EARNING their money just doesn't cut it with me
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-06-2007 at 3:28 AM. Reason: Language

Paul,

It was a joke...you know 3 P's, alliteration.... Well, I enjoyed it! I have a bit of a warped sense of humor as some will attest to around here. Gimme time...I'll have you rolling!

So things are slowly moving along with my roof. I finally have the roofers in order, I got a quote for the spray foam insulaton place that I'm happy with, and tomorrow morning, a guy is coming over to quote me for the insulation removal. He just needs to measure the total area of removal and I should have a number pretty quick thereafter.

Whew, I feel like a GC lining these 3 folks up and they all need to work together, coordinated like to get the job done most efficiently. Thankfully, my roofer is quite used to this and will coordinate the other two folks.

Doing this in the winter in the Bay Area is somewhat risky due to rain but they can do sections at a time on my house if necessary although I'm sure the insulation and insulation-removing guy want to get their job done in a day so we'll see how this all goes. It may cost me more to spread it out over time but if that is how it needs to work, then that is how it needs to work.

I'm just excited to see all this coming together and I really looking forward to see how the room(s) feel with the new insulation!

Thought I'd update with some pics seeing how the insulation is in, the roof is done, the rockin' is done, and painting is mostly done!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shots of the roof with the expanding foam insulation in them. These are obviously the rafter bays and a shot of my only attic space. The house looks interesting with a 'white' (CDX plywood) roof!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-20-2008 at 7:49 PM.

And some shots of the interior with the painting mostly done and the new maple floor being layed out.

Ah, the finishing of this room is in sight!!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-20-2008 at 7:51 PM.

Wow...I didn't realize this project was this big! Nice!
    --

Whew! It was quite big...it is the main entrance into the house and it was always somewhat shabby but we've gone ahead and spiced it all up. No longer will we be embarrased to have company over!!

I'll have to get some shots of the new roof...it looks really sharp!! Next time you are in the BA, Jim....

Dang chris ... That came out lookin' dang good!

I hadn't noticed this thing back when you'd started it, but I'm very interested. I'm gonna need a new roof soon and I'm debating some structural and insulation challenges myself. Did you ultimately go with closed cell?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com