Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap...err...FRUGAL Wireless Remote Control....(maybe?)

Cheap...err...FRUGAL Wireless Remote Control....(maybe?)

Well, Once again in my never ending quest to be cheap....err I mean....Frugal I think I may have found a inexpensive wireless remote for my dust collector......Maybe!

Lowe's is selling a wireless remote for $13.97....spec. are 125V - 60HZ -1,000W - 8A Tungsten

remote1.jpg remote2.jpg remote3.jpg

I hooked it to my dust collector tonight and I turned it on and off a few times from different locations in the shop and it worked fine....then I turned it on and let the dust collector run about 4 or 5 min. straight to see if the unit would get hot or whatever and everything was o.k....but here's where my "maybe" comes in!....

This is where I need to pick the brains of the electrical/electronic wizards here at the creek! ......My dust collector's (Delta AP400) specs. are: 125V - 60HZ - 12A!!
    Will this remote burn out prematurely or will my dust collector suffer any power loss and strain from the unit not having enough amp??? etc....What does "Tungsten" mean???....will this work???

....Am I being to frugal this time?......help me out here guys!
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

That's a great find if it does the job on your DC. WoodCraft has a DC remote for on sale for $49. My wife told my BIL that I wanted one (it's far better than the shirts that my SIL picks out for me).
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

"8 Amps Tungsten" means that this device is designed to handle an incandescent light load such as lights, versus a resstance or inductive load like a motor. It will probably handle your DC for a little while, but it won't last long. Ace Hardware has a $25 unit made by Carlon, that can handle a bigger load (up to 1500 watts), but your best bet is to get a Shop Fox Dust Collector Remote Control that can handle a motor load up to 1-1/2 HP. I have the Shop Fox on my Penn State and it whas worked flawlessly for 3 years. I also have the Carlon unit and will use it to activate the 110V coil in a 30 Amp 240 V contactor that will control my ClearVue Cyclone that I'm installing.

HTH -- Rob

I hate to discourage you, but I wouldn't use a device that is overloaded by 50%. You might want to keep a close watch on it in case something starts getting hot. It might become a fire hazard. Also, I noticed the device is plugged into a power strip that doesn't seem adequate for a 12A load.

Kinda like what I afeard.....

Thanks for the info guys....

Oh Well.....Some days it just don't pay to be frugal, does it?
    (I had better luck when I was just plain 'ol cheap! )

Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Mike,
    You can always use it to turn your Christmas lights on and off. Having a remote can be a very handy thing at times. The price you paid isn't bad either.
    If you really want a remote keep an eye on the sales and you might luck out and find one at a good price that will work well with your DC.
    David B

Drat!...They're onto me....

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    ...Mike,
    You can always use it to turn your Christmas lights on and off...
    LOL! That's their intended use!

I just thought I'd "stumbled" onto a undiscovered "low cost" woodworking application...

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you might want to look at issue 91 of Woodwork Magazine. It has an article with plans for automating dust collector operation. I implemented it in my shop, and it seems to work quite well.

Along the same lines, Issue 98 has plans for blast gate switches (and a recommended mod for the system in Issue 91) and Issue 89 has plans for building your own current controlled (rather than voltage controlled) magnetic switches for those machines which don't already have one - a router table is probably one example.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Woodwork Magazine or with the author of the referenced articles.

http://www.woodwork-mag.com/back_issues.html
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

You could do sort of what Robert is doing above--use the remote to control a contactor. Then You could use a cheap remote to control a 5 h.p. 240 volt load if You needed to. Here are some examples:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...earchIndexId=1

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    You could do sort of what Robert is doing above--use the remote to control a contactor. Then You could use a cheap remote to control a 5 h.p. 240 volt load if You needed to. Here are some examples:
    Exactly what I was going to say...deal with the load with a contactor switch that can handle it appropriately and use the inexpensive remote to control that device. When you upgrade to a larger DC later, you can just change the contactor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Langford View Post
    LOL! That's their intended use!

I just thought I'd "stumbled" onto a undiscovered "low cost" woodworking application...
    You have. Everything has a current limit. So to turn on the switch in you control there will be a tiny chip that turns on another transistor that turn on another device that......

Each one has a higher load rating for an easy explanation.

All you need to do is turn on a relay with a higher current rating on the contactors.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Langford View Post
    Well, Once again in my never ending quest to be cheap....err I mean....Frugal I think I may have found a inexpensive wireless remote for my dust collector......Maybe!
    Just as another altenative..

I broke down and wired my shop with 3 way and 4 way switches. I now have 4 wall switches that I can turn my DC on and off on (through a relay). A switch is always close, and I don't have to worry about losing a remote or dead batteries. It's more expensive with the cost of wire nowdays, but not outrageous. It's very easy to do.

Great suggestions guys, but I think we're kinda moving away from the frugal aspect.......I reckon it'll probably be cheaper to just get a wireless remote from Woodcraft on sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Payne View Post
    "8 Amps Tungsten" means that this device is designed to handle an incandescent light load such as lights, versus a resstance or inductive load like a motor. It will probably handle your DC for a little while, but it won't last long. Ace Hardware has a $25 unit made by Carlon, that can handle a bigger load (up to 1500 watts), but your best bet is to get a Shop Fox Dust Collector Remote Control that can handle a motor load up to 1-1/2 HP. I have the Shop Fox on my Penn State and it whas worked flawlessly for 3 years. I also have the Carlon unit and will use it to activate the 110V coil in a 30 Amp 240 V contactor that will control my ClearVue Cyclone that I'm installing.

HTH -- Rob
    Robert,
    Normally a tungsten rating is 20% of a resistive rating. Reason being is that the inrush current on tungsten is 10 plus that of a resistive load. Once the filement heats up the current drops to normal.

I use one of those for a Halloween prop control. I use it to control a drill motor and notice that sometimes it won't turn it off. As already said it is really only for lights and I think even says in the package somewhere that it is NOT for motors.