Thread: Back to Turning

Back to Turning

With the DC closet and new duct work finished as well as the turning area put together, I finally got some time on the lathe today. Given I can now swing something bigger than 10", I chose to make a real pile of chips and shavings (read: mess) with a hunk of something that's been living in the back corner of the shop for some time. I think it's beech, but am not sure. It was a little punky in some places and has a few cracks, but it was a good exercise in playing with a deep bowl format with a slightly narrowing, "natural edge" rim. This piece is currently unfinished and needs a lot of work before it will get finished, if ever. Finished size is 13" diameter and 7" tall with about a 1/2" wall thickness. The rough blank was about 16" in diameter. I don't particularly like the wavering edge and may remount it with the vacuum chuck and trim it back to a straight edge. Who knows?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-15-2004 at 10:55 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Very Nice as always Jim? Let's get that webb site updated please, so I can get the panoramic veiw.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

About time

Jim,
    I love your set up! I don't know much about turning...but, it looks like you are really set...a great looking lathe! The bowl is very nice! I have more appreciation now that I have turned a few bowls...it is not that easy ! Great job!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    With the DC closet and new duct work finished as well as the turning area put together, I finally got some time on the lathe today. Given I can now swing something bigger than 10", I chose to make a real pile of chips and shavings (read: mess) with a hunk of something that's been living in the back corner of the shop for some time. I think it's beech, but am not sure. It was a little punky in some places and has a few cracks, but it was a good exercise in playing with a deep bowl format with a slightly narrowing, "natural edge" rim. This piece is currently unfinished and needs a lot of work before it will get finished, if ever. Finished size is 13" diameter and 7" tall with about a 1/2" wall thickness. The rough blank was about 16" in diameter. I don't particularly like the wavering edge and may remount it with the vacuum chuck and trim it back to a straight edge. Who knows?
    I like the shape of the bowl but, like you, am not particularly fond of the wavy edge. The shape of that piece, I think, lends itself better to a straight edge. Also, this is just my opinion, if possible, I would take the wall down a wee bit to about 3/8". Of course, the wood may not allow this. If the color of the side view of the bowl is true, this is quite different than the color of the top view, I would add a stain to it or use a colored danish oil. However, that is just me. It reminds me of the color of magnolia and I just hate that color. That is why I ALWAYS color it. But then, what do I know? Other than that, the piece has a nice, classic shape which always looks good.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kiessling
    I like the shape of the bowl but, like you, am not particularly fond of the wavy edge. The shape of that piece, I think, lends itself better to a straight edge.
    Agreed. The more I look at it, the more I want to straighten it out. Fortunately, I can remount with the vacuum chuck as I already cleaned off the tenon.

Also, this is just my opinion, if possible, I would take the wall down a wee bit to about 3/8". Of course, the wood may not allow this.
    For the size of this piece, I think the 1/2" works. If I end up shortening it up by straightening out the edge, I could thin it a little bit, but there are a couple of cracks that I'm wary of right now. But this one's an experiment/exercise, so if it goes "bang", the wood stove will gladly accept it as a burn offering...

If the color of the side view of the bowl is true, this is quite different than the color of the top view, I would add a stain to it or use a colored danish oil. However, that is just me. It reminds me of the color of magnolia and I just hate that color. That is why I ALWAYS color it.
    The pictures are not true relative to color as they were shot quickly on the kitchen island. The flash went off on the side view, but not on the overhead view. I've been thinking about dying it anyway...something blatant, too. After all, it's a playground!

Thanks for your kind comment on the shape. It's a little too round on the bottom for my liking...bulbous, if you will. This would look right if it were more of a hollow vessel, but for a bowl, I like a little softer shape with less spread toward the bottom. The ash and cherry pieces shown below (I've posted them before) are more to my liking in that respect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

Jim, Nice looking stuff That new lathe should last you a VERY long time... Is this the first thing you made with the Stubby? or first one you wanted show off

Nice work as always.

-Michael
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Thanks for your kind comment on the shape. It's a little too round on the bottom for my liking...bulbous, if you will. This would look right if it were more of a hollow vessel, but for a bowl, I like a little softer shape with less spread toward the bottom. The ash and cherry pieces shown below (I've posted them before) are more to my liking in that respect.[/QUOTE]

No argument re the shape, my feeling exactly. HOWEVER, EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE I enjoy seeing that bulbous look. Especially if it's one of my own bowls and I'm going to carve it. Case in point, that maple bowl I recently turned, I thought it was a little too bulbous (I like that word). As I had mentioned when I posted it, I had intended to carve the bowl when I thought it was catalpa but when I figured out it was maple and the carving thought went out the window, I FORGOT to change the shape. But when I finished, I still liked it.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent
    Is this the first thing you made with the Stubby?
    No, several other turnings off this machine happened a few weeks ago before I got in to the new cyclone installation, etc. The first was this ash bowl with the burnt rim and dyed exterior shown above.
    --